Opinions on Kirklands v Rogaine v Dr Lee's etc...

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 5% formulation I can apply quickly and easily once a day maybe five days a week.

I can buy Kirkland minoxidil for under six pounds a bottle. However some people diss the brand for its greasiness etc.

I'm new to minoxidil, should I try the Kirklands?

Or am I risking wasting my money and risking putting myself off minoxidil altogether?

Thanks!

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I've read that Kirkland and Rogaine are made by the same company. The thing is 1x a day maybe 5 times a week probably won't do anything. It seems (to me anyway) that a lot of the guys that suffer from minoxidil sheds aren't using the product the way they should be. 2x a day 7 days a week.

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
5% minoxidil once a day is the same (or slightly higher) dosage as 2% minoxidil twice a day, so what logic is there in saying it doesn't work??

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
AKA said:
5% minoxidil once a day is the same (or slightly higher) dosage as 2% minoxidil twice a day

no it's not.....That's like saying taking one Proscar pill every five days is the same as taking 1mg per day for five days.

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
AKA said:
5% minoxidil once a day is the same (or slightly higher) dosage as 2% minoxidil twice a day

no it's not.....That's like saying taking one Proscar pill every five days is the same as taking 1mg per day for five days.

Plenty of people take 1/2 a proscar every other day rather than taking a quarter each day.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
The smartest thing to do is take the meds the way it's recommended and has been tested.
I'm also speaking from experience as well. I did the 1x a day minoxidil thing a long time ago and it only made things worse.

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't argue with your experience, how long were you using minoxidil once a day for? HairLossTalk.com suggests using it once a day initially I believe?

I saw your photos, they said '3-4 months' what was your baseline and what was your regimen? I assumed it was 3-4 months from starting treatments altogether but you had evidently been using treatments before?

Thanks for your help. :D

AKA

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't argue with your experience, how long were you using minoxidil once a day for? HairLossTalk.com suggests using it once a day initially I believe?

I saw your photos, they said '3-4 months' what was your baseline and what was your regimen? I assumed it was 3-4 months from starting treatments altogether but you had evidently been using treatments before?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
AKA said:

I've been experiencing hair loss for about 10 years.
I was off and on minoxidil for at least six months at a time,probably about 3 or 4 times years ago..2 of those times was once a day..
I hadn't used anything for at about two years before those photos so yea it was 3-4 months from starting treatment.
From what I've read from other posters and my own personal experience and the fact that the bottle says to use it twice daily. I personally don't think 1x a day application is enough to reep the benefits of minoxidil. That's just my opinion.
The problem is, there is no evidence suggesting that 1 application a day has any benefit.
If it's a hassle thing for you maybe get a bottle of Dr. Lees minoxidil and use that as your second application. That' stuff dries in about 20 minutes.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know plenty of people use 2% in the morning and 5% at night to help stave off the greasiness. It seems like that would be a good solution for you.

Kirklands minoxidil is fine. It only made sense that Rogaine increased their competitive edge by coming out with their own generic brand label.

Also, Finasteride's half-life is suitable to pop half of a Proscar every other day. This can actually be preferred since it is probably more precise to half the apple-shaped pill than to try to quarter it. I have been taking it this way with great success.