OK again I am in a panic and require your help

G

OK again I am in a panic and require your help, a quick break out of my history my doctor put me on minoxidil and proscar. I was on minoxidil for two months after which I saw a dermatologist who told me to using minoxidil because it wasn't needed but to keep taking proscar. Here's my problem I stopped using the monoxide about a week ago and I’m shedding very badly I have been for about a month now but the worst has been the last two weeks. I had a white shirt on today and when I took it off the inside look like a got a haircut every time I wash my hair my hands are covered with shedding hair, it's gotten so bad I am even getting a noticeable thinning spot at the front near my forehead.

So here's my question I'm still taking proscar and I’ve added folligin, should I go back on minoxidil or should I wait it out and see if it stops shedding and hopefully grows back on its own. I wish I had never started the minoxidil But since I did maybe I should have stopped.
Please let me know what you think

I was only on it for 2 months 2% once a day.

Whammy

Reaction score
Well, to answer your question appropriately it would have to be known what hairs are you shedding? Are you shedding the hairs you gained through minoxidil, or are you shedding the hairs from before minoxidil as well? Someone posted a long term chart of minoxidil's affects, and one thing that was interesting was after they stopped using minoxidil their hair count decreased below the level of people not using minoxidil, but soon came back up to their level. So you might over shed a little bit extra since you just stopped, and it'd comeback. Hard to say since you were only on it for 2 months tho.

G

all the hair i lost i had before minoxidil it has gotten worse since i added it it was a bad call by my Doctor

The Gardener

Reaction score
What you are going through is not surprising. Even hairs that were not 'regrown' by the minoxidil were still affected by it and a certain percentage of them are known to shed out. It's not permanent, remember that ONLY DHT and NOT minoxidil can damage a follicle. If a hair was good before minoxidil, and then you stopped minoxidil, and it shed out, it will be good once again once it starts to regrow. Unfortunately, and there is no easy way to say this, but you really have to ride this out. You'll get back to where you started.

G

thanx

thanx Gardener, i am riding it out it just keeps gettin worse but i am going to hold on. thak god for this site.