off propecia, looking for something else

shinycap

Reaction score
Propecia was screwing me up hardcore. I tried a reduced dosage but it still clouded my head to the oint of feeling lobotomized and made me so depressed I was on the brink of snuffing it. Been off for about two weeks and feel great all except for the heavy increased thinning in the frontal area. I've seen regimines that include spironolactone etc. Are they really effective? I'm just looking for something that isn't going to ruin my personality and disposition and effectivly turn me into a different person, which finasteride did.
Thanks.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Assuming that his sides are due to the loss of DHT, I don't see how recommending the virtual abolishment of DHT from his body will help!

Quit finasteride - and take up a few more topicals (spironolactone, folligen, minoxidil) and pray for the best. You probably will shed (I did when i quit), but remember - no point having hair if you're dead.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
I would try a reduced dosage, even .2mg a day.
Really, topical DHT inhibitors are sceptical at best, and any hairs that you have maintained with Propecia will most certainly perish with the increased levels of DHT that will arise.

CCS

Reaction score
Have you tried cutting a propecia pill in 4ths? Even every other day with a 4th will help.

Rogaine is just like toppik. It gives you an extra 100 or so hairs per circular inch while you are on it, but you continue to bald at the same rate. And when you get off it, you loose the 100 hairs really fast, putting you where you would have been had you never been on it the whole time.

SODs actually repair damage, I think, and the hair regrown by them should stay around a while even after you get off, them, though it is best to use a little once you regrow what you can, just to maintain it. However, SODs are not strong enough to regrow hair by themself, or even maintain it.

Revivogen blocks 5ar just like propecia, but weaker. Its fatty acid ingredients are as effective on hampster flank organ size as spironolactone is, so I'm guessing it would help your hair as much as spironolactone. However, spironolactone works in a different way, by blocking the receptors where DHT binds, though not that well. If you use them both, you will get a better effect. With the SODs, spironolactone cream, and revivogen, you might be able to do as well as propecia alone, but I don't know. Also, these only work where you apply them. So if your crown is good now and you just put these on the front, you will have a thinning crown later.

Many scams have borage seed oil or minoxidil or saw palmetto. Borage seed oil is good only if its fatty acids are freed from their glycerol, as in Revivogen.

The nizoral is better than nothing, but will not make or break your regimen. People just use it because it attacks from another angle, inflamation I think.

shinycap

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess I'll try a third of a propecia pill every other day. I just hope it has any effect at all. I feel like whenever the finasteride levels get to an effective level and the hair finally stops falling like crazy, it's always the same week I start feeling really screwed up. we'll see what this does.

CCS

Reaction score
1/4 pill is easier to cut. And it should be about 85% as effective. Even if you keep loosing hair, it should slow it just enough that maybe some topicals will actually do something. Just not rogaine. Even if rogaine regrows hair, it does not stop follicles from dying. SODs actually help there. spironolactone only works where it is applied.