NW5A with a hope and a dream

William2132

My Regimen
Reaction score
11/27/2015
I'm starting this posting on the 11th month mark for Minoxidil. I never really thought about being an active/contributing member to any forum but seeing how much research and effort members are putting into this I thought why not... I look good bald but I don't like shaving my head every day, which I did until I cut about a dime sized sliver of skin off - that sucked. Not my first shaving accident but the worse to date.

I started with minoxidil then started making stuff in my kitchen.
Essential oils, caffeine, scalp massage, copper based salicylates, vitamin enriched topicals.
I probably did more to stunt my progress than to help but it was actually kind of fun in a way (I need more of a life)

What surprised me the most when I did decide to do something was the lack of options - the big 3 or self-mutilation (Hair transplant). Minoxidil before and after pictures didn’t really exist in isolation of other treatments. I usually ran across the same 3 or 4 guys doing YouTube videos or hair transplant photo when all I wanted to know was what to expect on minoxidil only. I guess not much happens at this level of hair loss but I did catch a bad case of the velluses.

I’m currently cooking up another overly complicated mixture that might make my hair fall out but I decided to let it all hang out in public just in case I do have some success. Hey, I’m already bald so a little less hair won’t hurt

Norwood Grade: 5a
Short-term goal: 5
Long-term goal: Full restoration

The new concoction is going to be a RU/TM mixture along with B-UVB exposure
No uvb burns for me. I’m doing the vitiligo method of short exposures a few times a week. I’m trying to activity my Vitamin D receptors, increase pge2, and decrease pgd2 to initiate a growth cycle not to damage myself.

Warning - Mouse study’s ahead

“Cutaneous exposure to UVB irradiation is an important source of vitamin D. Here, we examined sex-specific differences in cutaneous vitamin D production in mice. Both male and female mice on a vitamin D–deficient diet manifested vitamin D deficiency, with mineral abnormalities, secondary hyperparathyroidism, and osteomalacia. UVB irradiation significantly increased vitamin D levels in the skin of female mice and normalized serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 levels, as well as mineral and skeletal abnormalities. However, in male mice, the vitamin D response to UVB was attenuated and mineral and skeletal abnormalities were not normalized. The vitamin D precursor, 7-dehydrocholesterol (7DHC), was significantly lower in the skin of male than female mice. This reduction was due to local androgen action in the skin as demonstrated by castration studies and skin-specific androgen receptor deletion in male mice, both of which reversed the male phenotype. Local androgen regulation in the skin of the CYP11A1 gene, which encodes a crucial enzyme that metabolizes cholesterol, 7DHC, and vitamin D, appeared to contribute to the gender differences in UVB-induced vitamin D production and to its reversal of vitamin D deficiency. Sex-specific, enzymatically regulated differences in cutaneous production of vitamin D may therefore be of importance to ensure vitamin D sufficiency.”

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v1...d2015297a.html

The above study was the main reason I decided to add an anti-androgen component to my uvb treatment. A few years past, there were news reports that vitamin D might hold the cure to hair loss and many people started adding vitamin D to their diets with the hope that hair would miraculously reappear but it proved to be a bust. I think that topical, along with internal vitamin d had no effect because the vitamin d receptors (vdr) were inactive due to androgens.

There was a study of a 73-year-old man who grow some of his hair back on spironolactone suddenly even though he’s been taking it for 6 years prior. This is speculation but I wouldn’t be surprised if he had gotten a sunburn on his reduced androgen scalp sometime during the year.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1977262

Concerning UVB
UVB has been identified as a possible cause of cancer
It raises pge2 and lowers pgd2
It activities vitamin d receptors
UVB induces hedgehog activation
It has a 50-year history of controlling skin issues but please do your own research

My main hope for this upcoming uvb test is to see if I can activate my dormant vdr, raise my pge2 and lower my pgd2. Simple right? Bro science at its finest!!!!

I haven’t started yet because I’m still waiting on my TM to arrive. I’m making a cream because I’m bald enough that it won’t mess up my hair and I need it to stay on my scalp without running off.

So I’m rolling the dice on converting more vellus to terminal

Note: There is no delusion about a full recovery but I do enjoy the challenge

1/2/2016

One month is not indicative of any treatment but I knowing used a weaker concentration of my intended mixture because RU and TM is a little too expensive for my taste. (1% of RU and .125% of TM) I'm also using this in conjunction with a vitamin enriched massage oil that failed due to insolubility/oxidation issues and the new batch didn’t quite work out either but it’s a little better than prior month.
Results NULL but like I said one month is not indicative of any treatment

11/27/2015

20151127_1915463.jpg
Everything in red was squeaky clean

1/2/2016
20160102.jpg

Null results - some peeling due to new massage oil - On to month 2

teerak

Reaction score
i have been massaging my scalp three times a day along with provillus 1.5ml at night and 1.5ml dualglen in the morning also have been doing inversion exercises periodically through the day - been on the routine for nine long months and making good progress .being a difuse thinner my hair is quite slow and brittle in certain sections but recently noticing hair becoming coarser and new growth coming in - will try and post a pic soon but I would suggest lengthening your massage scalp laxity exercise periods and change will happen over months - its very slow process

William2132

My Regimen
Reaction score
11/19/2016
Never followed through on my trials and also quit all my concoctions shortly after the 1/2/2016 update. All my results from the prior pictures are from minoxidil. Just started trying again so if anybody is watching I'll update monthly

New baseline
New baseline.jpg

12/16/2016
Its been a little over a month for 1x minoxidil and 2x ointment 20. Moving up to 2x minoxidil and adding ointment 21. I'm using code not to spread my stupidity to those that go to the extreme. If it works then I'll say what it is but I got concerned when I started reading about a guy that castrated himself

20161216_211934cropped.jpg

01/11/2017
Month 2 - 2x minoxidil and finished ointment 21 and back on ointment 20. Changed phones so the photos are tinted different. I noticed there is some hyperpigmentation, which makes it a little difficult to see the vellus hairs. I do have more noticeable terminalish hairs and my right side which is historically super slick is starting to grow fuzz. The sparseness and spacing of the vellus is quiet far apart but not to bad for 2 months.
20170111_192947.jpg

Last edited:

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your Norwood status is probably too advanced for minoxidil to help you. (Edit: or any concoction, for that matter).

If you do not have a hair transplant (admitted it can be done) you may be seriously wasting your money, albeit minoxidil (edit: or your concoction) is cheap.
IMO either you:
- consult a hair transplant surgeon to understand if a hair transplant is plausible based on your donor area
- start minoxidil and propecia to support the hair transplant

...or just leave it alone

My 2 cents; you may want to try regardless.

Personally I am curious because your head is definitely a clean slate (no pun intended).

Last edited:

William2132

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's why its a hope and dream. That picture is 2 weeks old and I'm getting a ton of vellus so it inspired a second go

William2132

My Regimen
Reaction score
Progress Report:
I restarted trying again after a long break just trying to keep my follicles active (Just in case there's a treatment breakthrough).
I feel like the slicker the scalp + the greater the time = the deeper the hole to climb out of.
I just finished my monthly buzz cut (I do need to look somewhat presentable).

Current Routine:
Minoxidil 10/29/2020 (Might as well call this water because it does nothing)
Finasteride 1mg 2/2/2021 (First time giving this a real shot)
Nizoral shampoo 1% 11/2/2021 (2% on order)
RU58841 8% 9/7/2021

Vitamin D/K2 (I do have a deficiency)

Only saw change when RU was added
So far, it took a year to see minimal growth so I don’t expect to see month over month change.
Next photo 12/18/2021

Attachments

• Starting Point.jpg
    Starting Point.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 20211018.jpg
    20211018.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 20211118.jpg
    20211118.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 257

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If minoxidil isn’t doing anything then why not consider adding needling and tretinoin or taking it orally?

William2132

My Regimen
Reaction score
I added weekly needling 8/24/2021 and tretinoin about 2 weeks ago. Tretinoin is hard to source and every blue moon it appears on eBay so I didn't list it