[NW2] [Pics] Long Hair and Balding

Brandeau

Reaction score
Ok so I had that fear of balding since I was 19. When I told my relatives about it they literally said I was crazy and that I wasn't balding, that it was just in my head.
The thing that first got me worried is that I kind of always lost a lot of hair, I mean I don't know if it's because they are long (this is what I've told myself to not get anxious) or anything, but I might be losing around 50 hairs daily (especially when showering/brushing) since my teenage days but they were always thick and always grew back.

Now I'm 24 and I'm finally accepting the hard truth that yes, I'm balding. My temples look terrible and my hair got thinner. I think that I'm still losing a lot of hair but now they don't grow back like they used to...

Note that I've changed a lot of things in my life recently that may have made my balding worse:

- I'm vegan since 2013 and started to lift 2 months ago, meaning that I eat a lot of protein compared to before
- I've been doing "no poo"/"no shampoo" since 3 or 4 weeks now... ie I wash my hair only with water and once per week use baking soda + ACV
- My testosterone levels are higher that they were before

Here are some badly taken pictures: (my hair is greasy but I think you can see the balding better that way)

https://imgur.com/a/7DEdx

This is what I plan to do: Minoxidil 5% + finasteride (Proscar or Propecia?) + nizoral, is it ok or will it *possibly* makes my hair look worse?

Do you think that in my case I could grow hair back in my temples area and having a "straight" hairline again?

I think my crown can get saved with minoxidil but I'm more worried about my temples...

PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST. I'm sick of people telling others it's ok when it's f*cking not. THANK YOU :)

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Big 3 will help. You should take better pics of hairline so you can track progress

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
Your plan of approach seems good to me. You're going to use stuff that actually works. As for your existing hair, it looks great (the quality does not seem to have reduced, it still has strength and is not weak). Your hairline has definitely receded. Getting on treatments is the best you can do. Go for it!

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly don't think minoxidil is necessary at this stage. Trial finasteride for 8 months then start minoxidil if you're dissatisfied. I have a fairly biased opinion of nizoral so I am going to hold back on commenting on whether or not you should use it. If you do decide to get on nizoral then only use it 3 days out of the week. On the idea of you growing hair back on your temples, I have doubts you will be successful but your hair looks good at the moment. Maintenance should be your primary goal because very few people experience regrowth on their temples

- - - Updated - - -

Also I would classify your hair line as a NW1.5

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
He's definitely NW2. But I agree, finasteride first for 8 months, add minoxidil if dissatisfied.

Brandeau

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking, why should I wait 8 months before using minoxidil?
I thought finasteride was about maintaining current hair and minoxidil was more about the regrowth?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride will also restore miniaturised hair, just not as much as minoxidil. If your hair is already thick, and finasteride restores it to full thickness, and you have no chance of regrowing your temples with minoxidil, then minoxidil is a waste of time, isn't it? If you wait 8 months then when you add minoxidil you can see if there's a difference. If you start both immediately then you won't know how much, if anything minoxidil is doing, but you'll be too afraid to quit. I'd only recommend minoxidil day 1 to people who are starting with significant diffuse thinning (yours is quite minor and finasteride may be enough to reverse it).

Brandeau

Reaction score
Alright, thank you! Appreciating the help.

I'm really afraid about waiting for something that could get worse over time. Of course minoxidil would be a waste of time in that case but what if I don't use it at all and my temples get worse without it? I feel the need to do everything I can to save my hair, even wasting my time.

I might be being very irrational right now so please tell me if it's the case.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your temples probably won't get worse if you're on finasteride. They'll probably stay the same or very slightly recover. Minoxidil doesn't stop hair loss.