Now I know why...

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you ever wondered why there are such a small number of success stories? I mean, given that this place has over 10.000 members, there should be at least like 5 people a day posting some good news, right?

Well, let me start with what you're probably looking for, MY success story. After a lot of painful patience and experience I've come to the conclusion that the big three do work.

YES, there it is folks, THE BIG THREE DO WORK AGAINST HAIRLOSS.

And now that you're not distracted by searching for that tidbit of information (because that's all I care about when reading these stories) how about I mention some of the second details that may be of interest. I'm 24 and started noticing hairloss at 21. The onslaught was rapid and my psyche destroyed. I tried to conceal it and deny at first, but that quickly became a habit that took over and I became generally known for my selection of hats and obscurity from formal gatherings. I tried to keep my spirit high as I sometimes nearly wept at the thought of being bald so young and so soon, a wasted youth I thought and just kept on pushing, looking for a solution anywhere, and I mean anywhere.

That's when I came across this site and realized that there are so many in my position, that seeked relief in discussion and poured their anguish over this forum, hoping that some one has an answer. And my favourite was of course the success stories forum.

This is the reason I'm here today writing this, but let me tell you, IT WAS NOT EASY to force myself to sit down and write this. And I'm here to tell you why people with success don't come back to write. But first a little more of my story.

I've had success with the big three, I realize that now. I just came out of the shower where I ran my hand through my wet hair like 20 times and only got a single strand of hair, and for me that's f*****g amazing. It's been like this for the past month and my hair is much fuller than 6 months ago. I've had regrowth along the hairline and my bald spot is shrinking. And it has made a big difference in the way I look and feel. But...

...but it's not perfect, hell it's close to perfect but still not there. In fact, despite that I still have new regrowth and no reason to believe that my success will decline, I am still not willing to sit down and write about it.

Why?

Because coming back to this forum after a success is like a wounded soldier going back to the battlefield after regaining partial use of his limbs.

It's not easy to admit to oneself that you are still liable to be wounded again, that is lose what little hair you have gained. You'd rather stay away from the battlefield and run as fast you can in some place far away until the day you are forced to return. This might sound SELFISH, but all you want to do is to FORGET that this awful episode ever existed, or at least believe that you are now independent enough to not need the assurance of strangers.

You might wonder why I'm writing this. Well, honestly, it's out of guilt. If it wasn't for the success stories in this forum, I would have never persued treatment and would probably be off in a much worse state. And because once, I argued that the lack of success stories is simply because of the lack of success, which was reasonable for me at that frustrated time. I guess I was kinda wrong. Kinda wrong because you know what...there is NO SUCH THING AS COMPLETE SUCCESS STORY. YOu either have achieved partial success (some regrowth), just waiting for the rest to happen before reporting in OR you've regained all what you lost (a very rare occurrance) but are afraid that it might go to hell any minute if you stop treatment and then feel like you've deceived those who read the post and yourself. Point is..you're just not sure if you have succeeded or not.

Again, some of my story...I started on propecia around 14 months ago. I was patient and tried to hold out that first year, but noticed that my hair was just getting worse and worse....some of my posts from that period might prove to be some interesting reading like in the following links and I'm sure that many of you will relate:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... sc&start=0

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hair transplant=#168989

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... hp?t=23820

So I decided to go all the way and throw in Minoxidil and Nizoral to complete the trinity at month 10 of only finasteride. Not an easy decision given I was already a dermmatch addict. It worked, I'm sure that it was the minoxidil that did it, and the nizoral took care of the itching and made my head feel nice. Like I read somewhere once around here: "The finasteride keeps hairloss down while minoxidil throws the kicks and punches". After 4 months of the complete trinity, I went from obvious thinning in the whole NW3 pattern to a Norwood 1.5 hairline and slight thinning in a NW2 pattern and I still see room for improvement. Hell, with the dermmatch in, it's just a slightly receeded hairline, that sorta looks like a mature hairline.

But I'm really not sure if it's the minds eye that messing with me, also one of the reasons it so hard to write a success story if you haven't taken pictures. And lord oh mighty am I afraid to jinx it and I'm not even superstitious.

Anyways, writing this is my way of saying thank you to all you previous success story posters, but also to ENCOURAGE more people to write their sucess story in it's present form, no matter how reluctant they are.

Because like it or not, even as a soldier on leave from your troubles...you may be called to return to the battlefield anyday. And you owe it to help the next hairloss sufferer with your story because once you were also in need of assurance and found it here.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Good post, thanks for sharing! Congratz on your success

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your success man.

It's funny that you made this post cause I was thinking the exactly same thing about what you wrote today.

I realize that the key to realizing where you are is to chronical it with pictures. I know some people can't, but unless you do that, you will never see it.

Good luck dude and remember that we are here for you.

Trash

Reaction score
even though i dont know you Bash that was by far the the most moving post i ve every read... seriously..
Well congrats for your success and ..... thank you , your post gave me strength again.

Subliminal

Established Member
Reaction score
Few posted success stories probably means that those who are successful no longer obssess about hairloss -- because their treatment has made them forget all about searching the web for that miracle cure.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm glad that you guys appreciated this post.

My point is just that... people do obssess less about hairloss when it gets better, but the thought is never really gone. They don't want to come back because being on this forum is a reminder of their problem.

And being so, it's such a pity that so many were willing to take advice and assurance from this forum and yet do not give back to help the new ones in need.

Karma people, think of your Karma :p

dek

Reaction score
wow Bash, since we are very similar in age and loss, can you answer a few questions for me? Im 24 and have been noticing loss since 20, I have been on proscar for about ten months and am about to add minoxidil. Nothing at all happened the first nine months, but now i am starting to have a slight shed and my hair is looking pretty bad. What was your experience with finasteride? did you shed alot at first? at all? Thank you very much if you answer these...

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
well, I'm sure that the finasteride partially halted the hairloss, but it didn't give me any noticable regrowth of the lost hair due to the sheds during that period. I shed tons during the 7-10 month period and was getting really anxious if it will ever grow back (hence the poll i started, just check out the link above or previous posts I've made and you'll get a pretty clear picture of my situation and the extent I was freakin out). I think that adding minoxidil was one of the smartest moves I made, despite the thought that I should wait it out or a possible double shed from the minoxidil, but I simply just couldn't afford to lose anymore. Feel free to ask any more questions and the best of luck to ya.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Bash,
thank you very much for your posts. They instill optimism in many of us, especially me. On a personal level, I feel reassured when I log into these forums to find posts such as these: messages of optimism and promise of improvement.

But anyway, my questions to you are:

Do you still lose hairs on a daily basis, despite the fact that your hair has obviously improved?

Did you ever want to *quit* treatments because you thought they were useless?

I, too, found that my hair was significantly worse from baseline when I was on my 10th month of Propecia (without minoxidil and Nizoral), and I scared myself onto dutasteride.

Do you think that IF you were to have stuck with Propecia (without the minoxidil), would you have achieved the same results?

Are you willing to share some pictures of success to us?

Lastly,

CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you very much,
Andy

soccerguy11

Reaction score
succees posting

Thanks for the posting guys, if not for the success stories forum people would have alot less hope.

One of the reasons I didn't start propecia earlier was I was worried about side effects...but of course MOST people dont post if they don't have side effects, so everyone thinks the drug is worse than it is!

My point is, its important for everyone, not just suffering but also succeeding to post, it keeps the game even.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bash, congratulations. Going over your previous posts, it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. I reacted in much the same way to my hair loss, but you’ve given me courage and hope.

My former life seems so far away that I feel like a stranger to myself – I don’t think I’ll ever go back to being that person, but if my loss has deepened me as an individual then, even if I don’t regrow any hair, I suspect I may have gained something rather more important - sympathy and empathy for others.

Losing my own surface has allowed me to look past it in others. Sometimes I am delighted by people. I am delighted now.

Well done.

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
well...here I am again :( .

My success has diminished and I'm again at a bad bad place. The onslaught of hairloss has been considerable the last three months and I quite frankly don't know what to do with it. I'm back to the state I was a year ago and don't see any possible future improvement.

I'm going to continue treatment (what choice do I have??) but I was wondering if someone has had the same experience. That is a good success rate and then a direct plummet to a much worse state. Could it be a shed? It doesn't feel like it, but I am losing hair again and fast. Could I have gotten used to the meds? Any suggestions or experience will be highly appreciated.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bash said:
well...here I am again :( .

My success has diminished and I'm again at a bad bad place. The onslaught of hairloss has been considerable the last three months and I quite frankly don't know what to do with it. I'm back to the state I was a year ago and don't see any possible future improvement.

I'm going to continue treatment (what choice do I have??) but I was wondering if someone has had the same experience. That is a good success rate and then a direct plummet to a much worse state. Could it be a shed? It doesn't feel like it, but I am losing hair again and fast. Could I have gotten used to the meds? Any suggestions or experience will be highly appreciated.

damn, that's terrible news mate. Have no idea what to say. Was there any change in the regime which may have caused this?