:( not understanding this loss :(

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys

wheres my hair going? not a clue. heres a little background if you dont know it already. on finasteride and nizoral - finasteride for 5 months, nizoral 2x week for 3 weeks so far. im 18 and a diffuse thinner with a little bit of recession at the temples, not noticeable unless i pull my hair back and you look close though.

as some of you know, finasteride seemed to be working ok and i got some regrowth around month 2 1/2 (i was pretty sure of this at the time, but some people told me this is too early to see regrowth...)

anyway, last time i had my haircut it looked alright. but as a few weeks have gone by ive noticed my hair isnt as thick as it was even a month and a half ago. my hairline is starting to look shitty - its thinning about 1cm behind the hairline in the centre. also, the whole hairline is kindof jaggedy - it looks like in a while it might all go to sh*t and il have a really thin horseshoe shape in future...who knows.

anyway, i just wish my damn hair would thicken up a bit. its thicker than it was at about the 1 1/2 month mark, but not as thick as it was at baseline. i was thinking maybe this is a shed... but i dont see any great hair fallout (never have), it just seems to be disappearing. could it be too early and finasteride hasnt kicked in yet? but i thought i saw thickening at 2 1/2 months? could it be a 2 month long shed? is this even possible...

one more thing i was wondering. i always take finasteride soon after ive woken up. however, because i stay up late a lot, the time i take finasteride can vary from 10am to 2pm. does this matter? is it better if you try taking it as close to the same time every day as possible?

i want to know...has anyone else been in a similar situation and seen good results after or around 5 months? their hair looked like it was going to sh*t but then improved after the 5 month period sometime? especially if youre just on finasteride...

hair is getting annoyingly hard to style...am going to need hair cuts more often which i dont want. and if my crown goes further il be distraught. sorry, im blabbering...anyway, any stories or ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks.

G

Bro! add topicals to your regime and do it ASAP! go with spironolactone 2% because 5% is a b**ch to apply. I would also go with nizoral and folligen or tricomin.

Other then that you could try and add soya to your regime.

It´s better to go head on with everything you have NOW and save the follicles that are left.

Best of luck man.

G

You may want to just wait a few more months to see if finasteride does its magic. If you still aren't satisfied go for the topicals. minoxidil will definately thicken your hair up. Do you have any pics of your hair to post? I'm sure its not as bad as you think.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, its still too early for the finasteride to be doing its thing. Give it a chance to work. You may have even had finasteride sheds.

finasteride lasts in your body for a while. I dont think it really matters when you take it. It may not even really matter if you take 1mg a day or 2mg every other.

G

flux said:
Yes, its still too early for the finasteride to be doing its thing. Give it a chance to work. You may have even had finasteride sheds.

finasteride lasts in your body for a while. I dont think it really matters when you take it. It may not even really matter if you take 1mg a day or 2mg every other.

Sorry youngguy_uk i dont mean to Hijack your thread.Flux do you know exactly how long finasteride stays in your system after you stop taking it?..

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've read some posts on this, but I cant remember the specifics. Can anyone else field this?

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
well how long is finasteride supposed to take to work? is 5 months definitely too early?

***if anyone has seen results from finasteride spring up around 5 months or anywhere after 5 months, please let me know!!!***

im not going to add a topical just yet...if my situation gets quite a bit worse then i might think along those lines. the only thing is, adding a topical 2x a day will make my hair look sh*t for a few hours. also, its so much more hassle than simply popping a little pill when you wake up. im hoping to save minoxidil for later down the line if i really need it. i was hoping finasteride will work for me for a few years, then maybe switch to dutasteride if finasteride starts to fail, then add spironolactone and minoxidil or something along those lines. that would hopefully give me a good 10-15 years or something, and maybe a new treatment would be out.

finasteride working is crucial for me...so if anyone has seen finasteride results from 5 months of after, please let me know.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
By and large, you can expect finasteride to start working between months 6-12. I can't exactly speak from personal experience because, like so many others, I have been using Min as well. I did have a shed around month 8 which I attribute to finasteride, and a few months later my hair had been looking rather good untill the recent irritation sheds.

Still, 5 months is early to be expecting results.

If anyone can speak up on their experience with finasteride alone, please do.

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Heres what I do to hold back hairloss:

1)Epilobium - 500mg 2x daily
2)Zinc picolinate - 15- 25mg
3)Essential fatty acids
4)Pantothenic acid - 1 - 1.5grms
5)Lecithin

AND FINALLY Piroctone Olamine Shampoo daily

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Pete said:
Heres what I do to hold back hairloss:

1)Epilobium - 500mg 2x daily
2)Zinc picolinate - 15- 25mg
3)Essential fatty acids
4)Pantothenic acid - 1 - 1.5grms
5)Lecithin

AND FINALLY Piroctone Olamine Shampoo daily

wheres the science in that.

still waiting for any finasteride users to get back to me please...results coming after 5 months???

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
hey guys

wheres my hair going? not a clue. heres a little background if you dont know it already. on finasteride and nizoral - finasteride for 5 months, nizoral 2x week for 3 weeks so far. im 18 and a diffuse thinner with a little bit of recession at the temples, not noticeable unless i pull my hair back and you look close though.

as some of you know, finasteride seemed to be working ok and i got some regrowth around month 2 1/2 (i was pretty sure of this at the time, but some people told me this is too early to see regrowth...)

anyway, last time i had my haircut it looked alright. but as a few weeks have gone by ive noticed my hair isnt as thick as it was even a month and a half ago. my hairline is starting to look shitty - its thinning about 1cm behind the hairline in the centre. also, the whole hairline is kindof jaggedy - it looks like in a while it might all go to sh*t and il have a really thin horseshoe shape in future...who knows.

anyway, i just wish my damn hair would thicken up a bit. its thicker than it was at about the 1 1/2 month mark, but not as thick as it was at baseline. i was thinking maybe this is a shed... but i dont see any great hair fallout (never have), it just seems to be disappearing. could it be too early and finasteride hasnt kicked in yet? but i thought i saw thickening at 2 1/2 months? could it be a 2 month long shed? is this even possible...

one more thing i was wondering. i always take finasteride soon after ive woken up. however, because i stay up late a lot, the time i take finasteride can vary from 10am to 2pm. does this matter? is it better if you try taking it as close to the same time every day as possible?

i want to know...has anyone else been in a similar situation and seen good results after or around 5 months? their hair looked like it was going to sh*t but then improved after the 5 month period sometime? especially if youre just on finasteride...

hair is getting annoyingly hard to style...am going to need hair cuts more often which i dont want. and if my crown goes further il be distraught. sorry, im blabbering...anyway, any stories or ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks.
Where is the minoxidil? You should use minoxidil if you want some thicker hair. Try 5%. Folligen would probably be at benefit too. Good stuff. You might be right about the shed thing though. You could be going through a bit of a shed. Yes try to take it at about the same time every day. Make a routine of it.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
i take it as soon as i wake up every morning.

as for the minoxidil...well the thing is, i started taking finasteride at the end of december, and id be happy to maintain the hair i had then. id also be happy to maintain the hair i had a month ago, and i guess ok to maintain the hair i have now. i just dont want any further loss.

my plan was to keep going with finasteride alone as long as i can, then if it starts failing maybe switch to dutasteride, and then look into things like spironolactone and minoxidil, or if there is a new treatment out by then. its so much easier to pop a pill than gunk up your hair twice a day.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
i take it as soon as i wake up every morning.

as for the minoxidil...well the thing is, i started taking finasteride at the end of december, and id be happy to maintain the hair i had then. id also be happy to maintain the hair i had a month ago, and i guess ok to maintain the hair i have now. i just dont want any further loss.

my plan was to keep going with finasteride alone as long as i can, then if it starts failing maybe switch to dutasteride, and then look into things like spironolactone and minoxidil, or if there is a new treatment out by then. its so much easier to pop a pill than gunk up your hair twice a day.
Sounds like your having a hard time with your hair. I feel for you. As for dutasteride, I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. Most men that take it are unhappy with the results they are having. Not sure exactly how safe it is either. Since you are still on finasteride I would start with the minoxidil and folligen treatment. Folligen is supposed to be very good for shedding. Have you tried Dr. Lee's Xandrox formulas? You should give them a try, seriously. Are you doing any nizoral shampoo treatment? It'll help too. I just thought that you could try using minoxidil 5% twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. On your evening one apply the minoxidil first, let it dry , then apply the folligen( the spray solution is stronger), then if you can apply some emu oil on your scalp too. Emu is a very good anti-inflammatory and it very well could have other hair treatment properties as well. I know it sounds like a lot, but how much do you care about your hair? I would say quite a bit since you are posting at hairlosstalk. And yes the evening treatment will look like sh*t, but if your doing this at night before you go to bed, who cares, your not going to be exposed to the public are you? Of course spironolactone will greatly help indeed. It's a very good anti-androgen. I use it and I love it. Not too make you sick or anything but I'm not on any finasteride at all.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
:(:( i was really hoping that 5 months was too early to tell. and that people would tell me their success stories of regrowth/thickening coming after month 5, or of them shedding from month 4 to 5.

i dont think i could bring myself to start minoxidil yet. i was hoping for at least another 2-5 years on finasteride...afterall the finasteride studies showed that 5 years, even more possibly, is achievable.

and as for the messy applications...yes i see it as a big hassle. the time i go to sleep at varies quite a bit. and what if i bring a girl back? or am seeing someone? i am a student and this is a big consideration for me. i think if i started minoxidil id have to have a shaved head or buzz it down really close to a shaved head. i was hoping i wouldnt have to do this for some years to come.

as for dutasteride, according to the HairLossTalk.com information on it, it says its shown more thickening and regrowth than finasteride. so what gives? also, is there any info, or are there any experiences (preferably over a decent period of time) of people switching from finasteride to dutasteride?

just to reiterate my main concern once again though, id really appreciate if anyone with experiences of finasteride around or after 5 months could drop a word. thanks.