Not responding?

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey, ive been on finasteride since february and im still losing tonnes of hair when I wash my hair or run my hands through it. Every time I wash my hair, there must be 70+ hairs in the sink! I dont count them, but I have to unclog the drain everytime and even after washing, I run my hands through my hair and even more keeps coming out. grrrr!!! Do you think this means im not responding? I think im losing about the same amount I was before I started finasteride.

pathfinder

Reaction score
finasteride is registered to help in 50% of users, so it seems you're likely not in those. May be you should wait some more? I'm sorry, mate. What else do you use? You should combine internal treatment with something you actually apply to your hair.

deth

Reaction score
haunted-ballroom said:
hey, ive been on finasteride since february and im still losing tonnes of hair when I wash my hair or run my hands through it. Every time I wash my hair, there must be 70+ hairs in the sink! I dont count them, but I have to unclog the drain everytime and even after washing, I run my hands through my hair and even more keeps coming out. grrrr!!! Do you think this means im not responding? I think im losing about the same amount I was before I started finasteride.

It depends on your general status, maybe u just have
a high alteration.

Good luck anyway.

pathfinder

Reaction score
deth, i hope to goodness that those figures are true to life..

haunted, what does phototrichogram show anyway? it's not only how much you shed, maybe all those were old telogen hair that were destined to fall anyway. 'There have been multiple reports of excessive shedding several months after finasteride therapy. Typically, there is a good response to finasteride to prevent or reverse male pattern baldness' (c)

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hmmm, I guess ill just have to wait a bit longer and see. Just washed my hair and filled the sink up with hairs again grrr! And, my right temple is looking worse

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
crush 5 proscar pills, add them to 5% minoxidil and apply it twice daily or once at night whichever suits you better..

also if possible add an evening primose supplement.. or MSM to help with faster regrowth after shedding... but add the minoxidil whilst you still have something left to maintain, i've realised for most, finasteride should kick in within 6-8 months..if theres zilch of a difference throw in minoxidil..after 6 months if theres still zilch of a difference swap the finasteride with 0.5 mg dutasteride.. you still have stuff to try, just dont take too long to do it.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
haunted-ballroom said:

Even though you are shedding (a normal part of hairloss treatments), do you also feel that your hair *appears* better?

You see, you can a lot of hair but still have considerable regrowth.

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aplunk said:
haunted-ballroom said:

Even though you are shedding (a normal part of hairloss treatments), do you also feel that your hair *appears* better?

You see, you can a lot of hair but still have considerable regrowth.

My hair appears better where ive been applying the foam around the temples and hairline, though my right temple appears to have gone back a bit recently....

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
pathfinder said:
finasteride is registered to help in 50% of users, so it seems you're likely not in those. May be you should wait some more? I'm sorry, mate. What else do you use? You should combine internal treatment with something you actually apply to your hair.

I saw you say this in another forum...the efficacy rate for finasteride is supposedly over 80%...you must be thinking of minoxidil when you mention the 50% rate.

pathfinder

Reaction score
I'm sure I got this figure somewhre on the forums, may be i am confusing, but imagine if 8 out of 10 ppl stopped losing hair on finasteride, would there be so many posters on this forum? :wink:
honestly, i don't know for myself, i'm not a doctor, but again, i sure do hope 80% is correct

RaginDemon

Reaction score
deth said:
pathfinder said:
finasteride is registered to help in 50% of users, so it seems you're likely not in those. .

dude...

What’s more, in the first year of the study, 86% (587 out of 679) of men on PROPECIA maintained hair or increased the number of visible hairs vs 42% (282 out of 672) on placebo.

http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/pro ... _study.jsp

I really dont trust those numbers, if its true, you wont be seeing that many bald guys here and there.

killbill123

Established Member
Reaction score
pathfinder said:
I'm sure I got this figure somewhre on the forums, may be i am confusing, but imagine if 8 out of 10 ppl stopped losing hair on finasteride, would there be so many posters on this forum? :wink:
honestly, i don't know for myself, i'm not a doctor, but again, i sure do hope 80% is correct

this forum is NOT--REPEAT NOT-- a scientifically valid sample size for you to make that kind of conclusion. For one thing someone who finasteride is working great for has very little reason to go to a hairloss website and post, while someone who finasteride is NOT working for will want to go to the site and get some encouragement. And even with that being said, those with good things to say about finasteride still outnumber the worriers even in a skewed example like this site.