Not Me's story - (or how I went from a NW4 to a ~NW1)

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My Story

I began to notice my hair loss at the young age of 17. My temples recessed rapidly and my crown began to thin shortly thereafter. By the time I was 22 years old, I was a NW3 on the Norwood scale and by the time I reached 25 I was easily a NW4. I lived under a ball cap night and day.

I am especially sympathetic to the unusually young hair loss sufferer, though I can easily understand how a person of any age can be affected by the condition.

Losing one's hair can leave the person feeling robbed of their possession and extremely self-conscious about their appearance.

There are options available to most. Research is imperative to this task and I like to always make an effort to help anyone that needs it find an adequate solution to their affliction.

My Medicinal Regimen

Currently, I use:

* GSK Avodart - .5 mg per day. Used since November of '04. Some heavy shedding at first, but thankfully passed after the 6 month mark. No side effects noticed as of yet. Works well. Continued thickening of the crown and vertex, though no real benefit seen to the hair line.

* Minoxidil 5% (generic) - 3 to 4 mL per day. Used regularly since April of '04. I apply applications at least 4 hours apart, but not necessarily 12 hours apart. I use 1 mL per application on the crown for two applications per day. I use 1 mL per application on the hair line for at least 1 and sometimes 2 applications per day. This stuff is greasy and can be a pain. I never apply it if I know I am going to be leaving the house in the next two hours, so I usually confine the applications after I am home for the day. Great benefit seen in the crown and vertex at first, but I believe I am just maintaining now.

* Nizoral 2% and sometimes 1% if I run out of the 2%. I use it 3x per week and leave it on for 5 minutes at a time. I think it really helps with the "minoxidil itch" and keeps the scalp feeling healthy. Used since April of 04 so it is impossible to know if it has any real regrowth benefits on its own or if regrowth seen since that time was in conjuction with or solely the minoxidil. Will continue using indefinitely.

* Nioxin Actives Cleanser and Scalp Therapy. In my opinion, one of the best shampoo and conditioners on the market. Used since ~1999. I don't claim to have seen any regrowth or even maintenance, but it works well as a thickening agent and leaves the scalp feeling great and the hair manageable. Will continue to use.

* Alpecin caffiene shampoo and after shower lotion. Used since ~about two months ago. I ordered this out of curiosity and I am glad that I did. Much too early to tell if it actually has any regrowth properties but on the days I use it, my scalp feels great, my hair feels great, and it has a great smell. I drink a lot of coffee so I don't think the added caffiene gives me any kind of rush but your mileage may vary. The after shower lotion smells great and leaves the hair feeling good too. I will continue to use this for a few months to report back on any (if any) results.

My thoughts on medications

I used Proscar 1.25 mg/day successfully, however I opted to move on to Avodart. I strongly recommend that anyone considering using an internal DHT inhibitor look to finasteride (Proscar, Propecia, etc.) before using dutasteride (Avodart).

I would highly recommend Propecia under the strict guidance of a physician. Propecia is a powerful medication that can help to stave off future hair loss.

Minoxidil is also a very helpful addition to my regimen. Without it, I do not think that I would have regrown the amount of hair that I have. Diligence is required for Minoxidil, however, in that it must be applied twice daily indefinitely for however long you wish to keep the results that are dependant upon it.

Nizoral 2% has been very helpful at keeping scalp conditions optimal for regrowth. It, also, is a substantial addition to any hair loss medicinal regimen.

Please read before considering surgical hair restoration

Surgery is not for everyone but most certainly is a viable and rewarding experience for those that are good candidates. The most important parts of receiving the surgery are knowing what to expect, choosing a great physician, and continuing diligence with a comprehensive medicinal regimen. There is no reason that a good candidate for surgery cannot have great results with a winning game plan!

How my treatments have helped me

My confidence has increased ten-fold. Gone are the days of brushing my hair this way or that to cover that ever-growing spot of scalp. The only time I really have to think about it now is while I am taking my medication or applying my minoxidil.

The hair loss sufferers' greatest friend is education. Educate yourself on what works, what doesn't, and on the science behind the mechanisms that are causing you to lose your hair. Share your experiences and knowledge with others. There are many "real" success stories out there. Once you know how to sift through the hair tonics, snake oils, and false claims, you will find that looking at and assessing your situation objectively will bring you so much closer to your goals.

My Surgeries

First Procedure - June 18, 2004

I had my first hair restoration procedure of 2,300 grafts to the hairline and forelock performed June 18, 2004. It bolstered my hairline beautifully. Medication alone would not regrow the hairline back to its' original state. While I opted for a slightly "mature" hairline, I have regained my youthful appearance.

My hair restoration procedure was amazing, to say the least. I was comfortably sedated during the entire procedure and even chatted with the doctor and technicians the entire time (when I wasn't watching movies or even napping).

The recovery process was not difficult and is eased with preparation. I went back to work under a cap three days later with no problems. I avoided heavy lifting for about 8 weeks and kept the recipient and donor areas clean for optimal healing conditions. I truly believe that helped greatly in ensuring a speedy recovery and quick, healthy growth rate.

The physician that perform my hair transplant is Dr. Jerry Cooley of Charlotte, NC. He and his extremely professional staff ensured that I received the best of results. I was the only patient scheduled for surgery that day, as is that clinic's protocol. There truly is a "family feel" to the clinic and the patients' best interests are always kept at the forefront. I cannot say enough about Dr. Cooley and his staff for what they have done for me. I would recommend this clinic to anyone considering this procedure.

Second Procedure - February 3, 2006

I had my second procedure performed on February 3rd, 2006. The objective was to bring the hairline down just a bit and to add some graphs in the upper temporal region for further definition. The graft count ended up being about 1,500 grafts, and the results will no doubt be as beautiful as the first.

First things first, I have to once again crow about how skilled and expert Dr. Cooley and the staff at Carolina Dermatology all are. I am continually impressed at the level of service and dedication that the entire staff exhibits from the initial consultation, through the procedure itself, to the follow-up appointments. There is not a time that I can think of that my comfort and and well-being were not the absolute first priority. That, to me, speaks volumes about their dedication to their craft.

This time around was basically on par with my first procedure. I arrived at the clinic early, at 7, and Dr. Cooley and I went over some last minute issues to ensure that we were "on the same page" about the goals of the procedure. I then took some Valium to relax me and I laid face-down on the chair for the excision. While my donor area was being prepped, I was given an additional sedative intravenously.

I have to admit that I am somewhat of a "lightweight" with sedatives, so I have to apologize in advance that my account will not be absolutely complete (I tend to snooze a good bit during procedures).

Just like last time, all I felt during the excision was a bit of pressure. Dr. Cooley utilized the Trichophytic Closure technique on my donor area this time around. He has been doing this with great results for a little over a year now and judging from what I see so far two weeks out, my case will be no different.

After I was sutured up, I turned over and sat for the incisions to be made. I sat and watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail (yes, I watched the same movie last time too) while Dr. Cooley labored on the recipient area. It wasn't long before I was snoozing again, though.

I was awakened for lunch and sat comfortably and ate. After lunch, I watched another movie while the grafts were placed. Yes, I had yet another nap. What can I say? I told you I was a lightweight.

I woke up (finally!) late in the afternoon and Dr. Cooley and his staff were still working diligently. He joked with me about napping all day. I can't help but to feel a little guilty for sleeping so much while they work so hard, but it REALLY made the day go by FAST. While I felt as if I had been there for about an hour-and-a-half, I had actually been there about 9. Wow.

After Dr. Cooley was finished placing the rest of the grafts, I saw what I thought I never would in a doctor's office: he let his staff go home while he finished cleaning up. While I am sure that they did the majority of it before they left (there certainly aren't any "slackers" there!) I had never seen a physician so willing to do the clean up himself. Again, it is behavior like this that makes me respect the man and the clinic so much.

I was given my post-op instructions (yes, I know them by heart but I still like to hear them) and take-home bag consisting of several surgical caps to sleep in, some valium to help me sleep, antibiotics, and a Graphcyte-like spray that Dr. Cooley gives to all of his patients that he makes himself. While I hear that other clinics pass off the charge of Graftcyte to the patients (around $300) this formula is completely free for patients of Dr. Cooley. It's great stuff too. I was picked up by my girlfriend and rode back to the hotel room. Dr. Cooley had recommended a nearby Italian restaurant that does great take-out and we brought that back to the hotel room.

All in all, an "A+++" experience once again. This clinic really puts the patient first.

Here's a cool new innovation that Dr. Cooley is utilizing: after all of the grafts have been inserted, a large shower cap-like thing is put over the recipient area. Oxygen is then pumped through a tube into the cap essentially permeating the entire recipient area and newly-placed grafts with precious oxygen. He explained that this technique is still in the "theory" stage but he has seen promising results from it thus far.

Another very cool thing: I got to donate a few grafts to Intercytex research for hair culturing. As far as I know, he extends this opportunity to all his patients but I cannot be positive. I am ecstatic to be helping that research any way that I possibly can.

At about two weeks post-op I had my sutures taken out. I was absolutely stunned at the rapid rate that my recipient area healed. There was a bit of a pink hue in the recipient area the first two days post-op, but after that it was back to its natural skin color. I don't know whether that's due to Dr. Cooley and staff's impeccable skill, the spray that I kept on it for two weeks post-op, or the oxygen-permeation method, but my belief is that it is a culmination of all three.

Once again, I am the happiest of patients even at just two months post-op. The recipient area looks absolutely immaculate and there is no indication that there was ever a procedure performed. My donor area feels great and the scar, though still healing, cannot be seen through my hair at all.

My Pics

First, some "before" photos:

152107574_320D39BF65BD78A4667EF1FD28477ADB.jpg

(This was taken a few months before surgery and shows the extent of loss I had experienced in my early twenties. I had just restarted Proscar and Minoxidil at this time. )

DSCN0280.jpg

(Pre-1st procedure. I am still amazed when I look at these pics of the "old" me. )

DSCN0282.jpg

(Another pre-1st procedure pic. This one really shows the extent of loss that I had at just 25 years old. Ouch! )

DSCN0283.jpg

(Pre-1st procedure. This also shows how extensive my thinning was.)

DSCN0284.jpg

(Yet another pre-1st procedure.)

1131083391_C9B87C6639181B37C7151CE0A030AB3D.jpg

(Immediately pre-op front)

1541083391_EFCBA42D32209C6A1C1A2953ECF533AB.jpg

(Immediately pre-op left)

My 1st Procedure

HT_closeup.jpg

(Me in the chair)

Day 1 - 1st Procedure

282107574_AFE95E69B315A7C9C6F0B20221779039.jpg

(My new hairline the day after the procedure)

223107574_9CD0181D41A1CEFB47DEBEF61E441754.jpg

(Scar 1 day post-op. The hair on the back of my head here is VERY short about 3/8", a 1/2" is really pushing it).

One Week Post-Op - 1st Procedure

1week.jpg

(This was taken just one week after my 1st procedure. No redness. No swelling. Impeccable graft placement. It really just looks as if I had those hairs all along and just buzzed them down, if you ask me.)

1week2.jpg

Two Weeks Post-Op - 1st Procedure

1301004391_E5E172FBAF8F10A954F5DB1058A66A40.jpg

(Hair line @ 2 weeks post-op)

8411004391_A2D8FEDD8364D4F8E071F6EDF8FDAE8D.jpg

(Scar @ 2 weeks post-op)

8711004391_E92AE250890612B385C68DED8D0EF0C9.jpg

(Scar with hair lifted @ 2 weeks post-op)

Three Months Post-Op - 1st Procedure

211108975_3A2FAE9AD525146C08C0533A248E90F0.jpg

(Taken in Dr. Cooleys office exactly 3 months and 6 days post op.)

Four Months Post-Op - 1st Procedure

509106246_5B472A766D4896164BCA11DA51572341.JPG

(hair line dry left)

929106246_0FDA1E036510C61645B7E64586273BA7.JPG

(hair line dry right)

479106246_C26BE4592BF45A22DB4C5750026CFA2F.JPG

(hair line wet left)

210108246_7E6F085533BF4D4DD156B571125F4EA4.JPG

(hair line wet right)

410108246_378B0086887F6955BFCA7E0F3FAE5C98.JPG

(wet front)

279107246_7073F8B04BE668684B2627A431F7E7F3.jpg

(4 month post-op comparison to pre-op)

Five Months Post-Op - 1st Procedure

361101067_ED889BF56578D0A653F24AAB5F0D63C0.JPG

704101067_43D741C321381F50072809D364C19E08.JPG

(hair line right)

294101067_D63D666E1274DDDC8200A56A4838ED6E.JPG

(hair line left)

6 Months Post-Op - 1st Procedure

Pre-Op:
152107574_320D39BF65BD78A4667EF1FD28477ADB.jpg

6 Months Post-Op:
912108598_11EC2E9AE4825FF603671824D2A5962F.jpg

17 Months Post-Op - 1st Procedure

5651031081_771E39D9616924AD561B0EB500C5C438.jpg

2551031081_ABCAA41E0280FF47C2CA22A14DC28B1F.jpg

(still a bit thin in the crown so I am still diligent in using minoxidil and Avodart in hopes of filling it in or at least maintaining what I have. so far, so good!)

3651031081_E3E73A803657AE16906159D68EEF9985.jpg

(hair line right)

5751031081_AC91C4FB643A6811237135B3D8AB3593.jpg

(right side pulled back)

7651031081_5AC4E782D3C4AFBE116580C032BEA53A.jpg

(hair line left)

3751031081_EDD96D135E110364A27BA42D36132723.jpg

(left side pulled back)

My 2nd Procedure - February 3rd, 2006

021606.jpg

This was taken 16 days after my second procedure. It shows just how nice the recipient area looks just two weeks post-op. Without a very close inspection, there is no indication that a procedure ever took place. The grafted hair have grown a bit but most are expected to shed in the next couple of weeks. After that, I should look pretty much like I did pre-2nd procedure, but in about 4 months, watch out!

My Sentiments

I am extremely satisfied with the results that I have gotten. I have a hairline that I am proud to show off to the world whereas before I would hide my lack of hair under a cap. I look and, more importantly, feel my age again. I have the confidence to go out and not have to think about my hair anymore. It just is not the stressful issue that it used to be.

Just like the quote in my signature line says that was made by a very astute poster:

"Going bald is not for the faint of heart."

It has been a journey. The roughest part was when I felt so helpless because I had no idea where to start, where to turn, or who to trust. After I started treatments it got much better. I knew that I was doing something positive. The success I have gotten on my crown has been due to the medication alone. I had no grafts placed in that area. I don't believe I would have gotten results that good if I jumped around from medication to medication. I stuck to what worked for others and it worked for me. This is the first piece of advice I give anyone considering treatment: Stick to what works.

My hair line was crafted by Dr. Cooley and his great staff. Anything forward of my ears is his supurb craftsmanship. I've been called a "cheerleader" for this clinic before. My response? Damn right I am! They changed my life for the better. Anyone that has gone through a significant amount of hair loss in their early 20's knows how devastating it can be to one's self-confidence. They changed my life for the better and they did it ethically, telling me the pros and cons the entire way. I have never met a more "straight forward" guy than Dr. Cooley.

I posted my info here because there are people that look for answers to their own thinning every day. I hope that my participation on the forums and my story can help out others that are walking the same path I did.

I'll keep updating this thread with new photos as my second procedure grows in. I'll answer any questions that I can.

JustBreathe

Established Member
Reaction score
well done on kicking male pattern baldness's arse.

Wonder what Dr Cooley's connection with Intercytex and HM will be?

Will he being using it when it come to fruition....?

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
notme!
congrats.
Do you think you could have gotten these results with just hair transplant and finasteride?
why do you need minoxidil ?
You went from NW4 to NW1. How much of that you contribute to your treatments (Big 3 or dutasteride) and how much of that you contribute to your Hair transplant process?

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats, guys. It's been a "long, strange trip" indeed. But well worth it. :D

switters said:
well done on kicking male pattern baldness's arse.

Wonder what Dr Cooley's connection with Intercytex and HM will be?

Will he being using it when it come to fruition....?

Dr. Cooley is one of Intercytex's lead research consultants. I can't imagine him not offering it in his clinic when it becomes available. I don't know much more than that, other than some of my hair is going to help the cause.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
techprof said:
notme!
congrats.
Do you think you could have gotten these results with just hair transplant and finasteride?
why do you need minoxidil ?
You went from NW4 to NW1. How much of that you contribute to your treatments (Big 3 or dutasteride) and how much of that you contribute to your Hair transplant process?

I think the minoxidil really helped with the growth I got on my crown. Basically, all growth behind the ears is the result of meds and all growth in front of the ears is the result of Dr. Cooley's skill.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Amazing results man!! Good stuff and thanks for the detailed post and pics

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
It looks good, but have you considered what might happen if the forlock area begins to recede as well? I am just curious if you went over that scenario with your doctor.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
StoptheMadness said:
It looks good, but have you considered what might happen if the forlock area begins to recede as well? I am just curious if you went over that scenario with your doctor.

Great question. Yes, I considered this measure with no small degree of concern. The forelock area has already been bolstered a bit in the first, and more so, in the second procedure. Thankfully, (and as a credit to the skill of Dr. Cooley) there was no shockloss to the area, which is a large concern when placing grafts between thinning native hairs. As a further precaution, I have "saved" my precious remaining donor area hair as a "just in case" this area thins dramatically in the years to come. In the past two years, however, it has held up fine. This is for two probably reasons: My recession pattern is largely in the temporal region, meaning that the "peninsula" of hair at the forelock region is relatively safe for quite a while. The second reason is my diligence in my medicinal regimen of Avodart, minoxidil (to the forelock as well as crown), Nizoral, and T-Sal. I am not anticipating another procedure to the hairline or temporal region because of these two reasons, however if I need to (or just get "hair greed" :D) I have the donor area available.

I highly doubt that I will ever get a traditional hair transplant into my crown area. The meds have been just too good to me to mess with that area and risk shock loss. I have no doubt that Dr. Cooley could place grafts there safely, however to me, there just is no reason to seeing how far that area has come on just the Avodart and minoxidil alone.

G

why are you using Avodart and not Propecia?

it was not made for male pattern baldness and not approved for it.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
GoodGuy said:
why are you using Avodart and not Propecia?

it was not made for male pattern baldness and not approved for it.

I used Propecia for a while but wanted to see how the more potent drug Avodart would work for me. So far it has been great - better than the Propecia, in fact. No side effects as of yet and my crown thickened considerably with Avodart whereas with Propecia it just seemed to be maintaining.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I needed some reassurance, so I found myself looking at your pics again.

Any updates? How's the regrowth?

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm right over three months post-op from the second procedure and I am seeing some early growth. I suspect the next couple of months will be awesome with growth peaking at around the 6 month post-op period. After that, I should still see some thickening until month 12 or 13 or so.

I had some moderate temporary shockloss at around 1 month post-op, but it started filling back in as soon as it shed. This is pretty standard for procedures like this. Keeping diligent with the minoxidil applications on the recipient site have really helped it come back strong and fast. MSM works well for this too.

I'll be more active in the months to come. Thanks for bumping my thread back up. I'm really glad to see that people are still looking at it.

CCS

Reaction score
yeah, I'm looking at the new roots from my second procedure, and i think it may look fuller than I've been thinking. that will make me feel better. i just hope RU will grow hair out of smooth skin when used in combination with dutasteride, SODs, and minoxidil. I want density! if not, another 600 grafts in the hairline should do the trick.

Phillip

Established Member
Reaction score
Congrats man. those are some really good looking results from the hair surgery. It looks very natural.

CCS

Reaction score
are you the same guy who has a site called "I regrew all my hair"?

I saw your pics. they look good, but immediately post op it looked like you had more hairs per cm2 than in the pictures where the hairs had grown 1/2 inch. i'm just curious about this because I have the same effect and wonder if some grafts did not grow or if some hairs are just not as thick when they first grow out and therefore not as noticeable.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
are you the same guy who has a site called "I regrew all my hair"?

I used to own that site. I then sold the content to someone else who has since put up their own stuff. I wish I hadn't done it now. I may make another site, though.

collegechemistrystudent said:
I saw your pics. they look good, but immediately post op it looked like you had more hairs per cm2 than in the pictures where the hairs had grown 1/2 inch. i'm just curious about this because I have the same effect and wonder if some grafts did not grow or if some hairs are just not as thick when they first grow out and therefore not as noticeable.

The photos taken immediately post op show all the transplanted grafts. Those grafts ultimately shed within a few weeks and then grow back permanent hair in the months to follow. Since all grafts don't grow back at the same time (it can take up to 12 months or more for the final density to be achieved) the shot of my recipient area at 1/2 inch was not an accurate representation.

I'll try to get some recent pics up shortly.