normal amount of miniaturized hair in hairline

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
You should know that "minurization" and "mature hairline" are two different things and their processes are developing in different ways.

MOST NON-BALDING MEN EXPIRIENCE MATURE HAIRLINE. That is slow and very long process in which hairline is moving forward. For someone it starts when hairline moves little bit up when boy is transforming into man. For others it starts in 20is or 30-is. Some men very slowly during lifetime transforms from NW0 to NW2 in their 60is. That is also example of mature hairline.
Point is in fact that "Mature hairline" process cant be tracked. Cant be noticed. No shedding, no thin, weak hair at the front.

With "minurization" its very obvious. It can be easily spotted. Sometimes the temples, sometimes whole hairline is weaking, losing darkness, and so on.
That is one of the first, and 99% reliable sign of male pattern baldness.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Where did you get that idea from? All hair is lost through miniaturisation, it doesnt just disappear, it cycles through weaker and weaker, regardless of whether you are maturing or losing it all, the only difference as far as im aware, is the level of miniaturisation which is determined by your genetic pre-disposition.

I wonder if you are getting miniaturisation and diffusion confused? :dunno:

gascoigne

Established Member
Reaction score
Man in Space said:
Where did you get that idea from? All hair is lost through miniaturisation, it doesnt just disappear, it cycles through weaker and weaker, regardless of whether you are maturing or losing it all, the only difference as far as im aware, is the level of miniaturisation which is determined by your genetic pre-disposition.

I wonder if you are getting miniaturisation and diffusion confused? :dunno:

"All hair is lost through miniaturisation, it doesnt just disappear, it cycles through weaker and weaker, regardless of whether you are maturing or losing it all, the only difference as far as im aware, is the level of miniaturisation which is determined by your genetic pre-disposition."

And where did i said opposite?

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
gascoigne said:
Point is in fact that "Mature hairline" process cant be tracked. Cant be noticed. No shedding, no thin, weak hair at the front.

With "minurization" its very obvious. It can be easily spotted. Sometimes the temples, sometimes whole hairline is weaking, losing darkness, and so on.
That is one of the first, and 99% reliable sign of male pattern baldness.

Just for the record, my hairline went from NW1 to NW2 in between the ages of 14-16 and i had very obvious miniaturisation, I thought i would be bald by the time i was 20 at that rate, 12 years later I still have an NW2. I dont know why it happens, but it does, ive seen the exact same thing happen to younger men in my family and yet no one goes bald.

My main point is that a mature hairline (if such a thing exists) is caused by the process of miniaturisation. Like you say they are different things, but one thing does cause the other

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah and to make it harder there is no way to predict how much worse it could it get or how fast. Your family history I guess but its no sure thing I know a guy with no history for male pattern baldness and he was Norwood 7 at like 40.
The thing that makes male pattern baldness so crappy is that much like other problems say wrinkles there are no definitive answers on most of it. Its basically just educated guessing which we all know is not always right.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Exactly, this is what I dont understand about the hair transplant industry.
I understand if you are bald you know you have X amount of donor and Y amount of scalp to cover it with , but when you see all these 25 year old NW3's second guessing nature, dense packing to a NW1 using up half their donor in the process, it doesnt half make you wonder what these guys are gonna look like in 25 years time. Miniaturisation is a long and pretty much inescapable process, although the meds can buy you a fair amount of time.

Back to the OP, there is no such thing as normal when it comes to this, every single person is different, most of us are balding in some way, be it receding or thinning but that doesnt mean we will go bald. Thus everyone loses it in different ways, I only personally know 2 people who have no hairloss at all and they are both around 20 so there is plenty of time for them to catch up too! If you are concerned about your hairline, put some pics up and well be able to tell you, we are all experienced 'norwood spotters'!

jad1

Reaction score
Yeah I never understood how the shorter hairs around a hairline are a sure way of telling your balding because even women have "baby hairs" around their hairlines
2301758.jpg

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Arent those just normal terminal hairs that are growing back? Hairs grow at different stages to others as they cycle at different times, they are most likely thick healthy hairs at different parts of the growing phase. Miniaturisation is different, its when those thick hairs cycle back weak and limp. You can find out by visiting a derm and they will be able to analyse how much of your hair is cycling in weaker hairs and from that they can plot your future course of hairloss