No more cutting edge experiments down the line?

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems like pills to regulate hormones/DHT carry the risk of sexual side effects, so this treatment option is pretty unpopular.
Our best bet is for follicular cloning or maybe some hair fiber that can be implanted into the head without our body rejecting the fake hair implant.
I think the Japanese did something along the lines of sewing surgical stitches to people's head to mimic hair

You may be referring to biofibers which are not legal in the US, due to the high risk of infection.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder with all the billions of dollars that go into cancer research, why isn't the same amount going to prostrate cancer research. I am no expert, but would finding a cure for breast cancer have any affect on prostate cancer?

And why would they even need billions in the first place, just get a big lab team of 200 and let them focus on that alone. Instead of half the USA trying to get to the finish live in their own. It's a complete waste of money, they h e absolutely nothing to show for it.

Oh but the executives are buying nice cars and houses. The universe owes us a cure and fast.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
It might mean more research attention, energy and/or funding could be concentrated elsewhere, ie; prostate cancer research.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder with all the billions of dollars that go into cancer research, why isn't the same amount going to prostrate cancer research. I am no expert, but would finding a cure for breast cancer have any affect on prostate cancer?

And why would they even need billions in the first place, just get a big lab team of 200 and let them focus on that alone. Instead of half the USA trying to get to the finish live in their own. It's a complete waste of money, they h e absolutely nothing to show for it.

Oh but the executives are buying nice cars and houses. The universe owes us a cure and fast.

Because men and women don't care anywhere near as much about men's health.

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score

The thing is dht has not been conclusively shown to be connected to prostate cancer but prostate enlargement. Current studies with finasteride didn't show any difference in mortality rates between people with prostate cancer who were taking finasteride and those taking placebo. On another note, prostate cancer is not as deadly as many other cancers since it seems to stay fairly localized compared to pancreatic cancer, brain cancer, etc. It is believed that by age 80, some 70% of men have a form of prostate cancer. We all know that hairloss research does not get a lot of funding, but at the same time the need for a cure is not as dire since it really is a natural process unfortunately.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing is dht has not been conclusively shown to be connected to prostate cancer but prostate enlargement. Current studies with finasteride didn't show any difference in mortality rates between people with prostate cancer who were taking finasteride and those taking placebo. On another note, prostate cancer is not as deadly as many other cancers since it seems to stay fairly localized compared to pancreatic cancer, brain cancer, etc. It is believed that by age 80, some 70% of men have a form of prostate cancer. We all know that hairloss research does not get a lot of funding, but at the same time the need for a cure is not as dire since it really is a natural process unfortunately.

I would say that cancer is also just as natural. Both attack only a percentage of people, but cancer does kill. Just imagine out lifes if this thing was cured already in the 80s, we would have forgotten about it just like polio.

TheHandsomeLurker

Established Member
Reaction score
I would say that cancer is also just as natural. Both attack only a percentage of people, but cancer does kill. Just imagine out lifes if this thing was cured already in the 80s, we would have forgotten about it just like polio.

My understanding is that finasteride can make prostate cancer harder to detect, but if you're checked regularly and let your doctor know that you're taking finasteride, you should be fine.

As for cutting edge research, what about the Dkk1 discovery? If I recall, researchers were able to get human male scalp follicles to resume normal hair growth simply by removing Dkk1. That wasn't too long ago -- the only issue is figuring out how to safely and effectively administer it to patients.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that finasteride can make prostate cancer harder to detect, but if you're checked regularly and let your doctor know that you're taking finasteride, you should be fine.

As for cutting edge research, what about the Dkk1 discovery? If I recall, researchers were able to get human male scalp follicles to resume normal hair growth simply by removing Dkk1. That wasn't too long ago -- the only issue is figuring out how to safely and effectively administer it to patients.

I believe I saw a Dkk1 inhibitor on Kane lab not so long ago. The problem would be the vehicle, I guess we can divide the forum community into controlled groups.
Another thing that has not been tried is FGF-9, or have we? I am not part of the private forums.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another thing that has not been tried is FGF-9, or have we? I am not part of the private forums.

Noone has tried it, but I would think FGF-9 would only work with significant wounding.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Noone has tried it, but I would think FGF-9 would only work with significant wounding.

Any takers on the FGF-9? We might be able to fund this. I can go in Dkk1 inhibitor and someone on growth factor.

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score
It may not be the best decision to apply a growth hormone(fgf9) which is involved in tumor growth, just my opinion.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
It may not be the best decision to apply a growth hormone(fgf9) which is involved in tumor growth, just my opinion.

This is why we need an old timer to take one for the team. And in all fairness it should be Walker.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
LOL .., Python I must say to your credit that you truly live up to your name. Your serpentine nature and habitual forked tongued shoddy attempts at macho elocution will fittingly wind you ending up in a bigger zoo than this one. Lol.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL .., Python I must say to your credit that you truly live up to your name. Your serpentine nature and habitual forked tongued shoddy attempts at macho elocution will fittingly wind you ending up in a bigger zoo than this one. Lol.

LOL, I am just playing around with you. By the way, Python is the name of my favorite programming language :D.