Nizoral. Can I use too much??

BaldyBob

Reaction score
I've read that you are supposed to only use nizoral only every 3-4 days because it can cause iritation to the scalp. Well, I ran out of my normal shampoo and had to use nizoral for 3 days in a row. Even since I have gotten my normal shampoo back I have continued to use nizoral almost every other day with NO iritation. Is this bad, good? Should go back to the normal routine or use as often as possible until it starts to bother me?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
BaldyBob said:
I've read that you are supposed to only use nizoral only every 3-4 days because it can cause iritation to the scalp. Well, I ran out of my normal shampoo and had to use nizoral for 3 days in a row. Even since I have gotten my normal shampoo back I have continued to use nizoral almost every other day with NO iritation. Is this bad, good? Should go back to the normal routine or use as often as possible until it starts to bother me?

My initial response is that atleast every other day is no problem for this shampoo. Every day, I would like to know also, because along with t/gel I woluld like to use more often becasue of how my scalp feels and how much I like the feel of my hair after use.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Its a combination of being potentially hard on the scalp, rough on the hair itself, and the issue of the absorption of the Ketoconazole into your system. They want to minimize the absorption of that chemical, as it is a very potent antifungal, and should be used only in moderation.

HairLossTalk.com

Yardbird

Established Member
Reaction score
Is three times a week too often?
I'm using Nizoral three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
and Revivogen shampoo on Tues, Thurs, and Saturday..
On Saturday, I don't use Revivogen topical treatment so my hair can rest on the Sabbath. In other words, I don't shampoo on Sunday :wink:
Any thoughts?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
You should be fine with that weekly Nizoral application frequency. :)

HairLossTalk.com

PS... i wouldnt take days off with topical treatments. They need to be there 24/7 ideally ... in order to work!

G

I only use nizoral. I use it 3 times a week and don;t wash my hair in the days between.

Works like a charm. When I shampoo it feels great and my hair ends up thick as hell. Especially when rinsing with cold water.

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
I use Nizoral every 3 days, and consider increasing it to every other day. While my dandruff situation is A LOT better, it is not gone completely. Also, my scalp it too oily after 2 days without it. However, if frequency is increased, perhaps dosage should be decreased (to 1%).

G

avri said:
I use Nizoral every 3 days, and consider increasing it to every other day. While my dandruff situation is A LOT better, it is not gone completely. Also, my scalp it too oily after 2 days without it. However, if frequency is increased, perhaps dosage should be decreased (to 1%).

You may want to rotate TGEL with nizoral every three weeks or so. A different antifungal can sometimes work wonders.

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
Does Nizoral get the scalp rid of all or most of its micro-organisms? If so, doesn't the scalp lose its beneficial ones just like the digestive system when you use antibiotics?

G

khai said:
Does Nizoral get the scalp rid of all or most of its micro-organisms? If so, doesn't the scalp lose its beneficial ones just like the digestive system when you use antibiotics?

Nizoral is an anti-fungal. It attacks fungus. If there are other micro organisms on your scalp, it would impact them as any other shampoo would. :freaked2:

BTW-what makes you think there are beneficial micro organisms on the scalp?

Dave03

Reaction score
I use T-gel then nizoral (back to back) every other day, in between I use T-Sal, and I still cannot get rid of the flakes fully. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

G

Dave03 said:
I use T-gel then nizoral (back to back) every other day, in between I use T-Sal, and I still cannot get rid of the flakes fully. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Well you may have contact dermatitis, not seb. derm. What are you using for male pattern baldness??

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
BruceLee said:
You may want to rotate TGEL with nizoral every three weeks or so. A different antifungal can sometimes work wonders.
Good advice, thanks :)

avri

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
BTW-what makes you think there are beneficial micro organisms on the scalp?

Because there are plenty of beneficial bacteria in the body. These healthy micro organisms such as acidophilus (there are many) aid our digestion and build our immune system among other things. Apparently, we have more micro organisms in the body than actual human cells. Without the good ones we wouldn't be able to keep our health according to studies made on mice who were subject to constant absorbtion of antibiotics. But i'm no authority on the subject...

As to the scalp, i can't help thinking, maybe i'm wrong, that there's good and bad microcospic flora on it like on any other part of the body. I read articles about how anti-bacterian soap people use would in fact be harmful for our skin and immune system as they eliminate both good and bad ones.
Which is why some people, mostly from that natural therapy culture advocate the use of pro biotic supplements or products (like those you ingest when you eat certain kinds of yoghurt), including on the skin. I don't know which ones as i haven't really enquired on that topic.

Still there's the issue of why Nizoral often causes
irritation to the scalp... Is it only the cleaning agent in it?

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
by the way, the skin on my hands does feel strange every time i use anti-fungal soap.

G

We will come back to the good bacteria issue in a minute.

On this one--

"Still there's the issue of why Nizoral often causes
irritation to the scalp... Is it only the cleaning agent in it?"

I don't know that Nizoral often causes skin irritation. Never seen that complaint here nor have I experienced it myself.

Having said that, ANYTHING can cause contact dermatitis. I once got it from that bastion of the natural movement, Tea Tree Oil. Imagine the consternation of the vegetarians of the world!!!!!!!!!!

Re: good microrganisms, you have taken a broad and unproven generalization and assumed it must apply to the scalp. It may, it may not.

As for me, I am going to keep my scalp clean and as fungus free as I can. There IS data to suggest this is good in attacking male pattern baldness.

:hairy:

cyberprimate

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know that Nizoral often causes skin irritation. Never seen that complaint here nor have I experienced it myself.

I've read that complaint here on this forum but that could be really marginal. And Nizoral could well not be involved in it.

As to the issue of good/bad micro organisms on the scalp, i have absolutely no theory or scientific data about it. But i keep reading lots of articles in the press about the importance of beneficial fungus in the digestive tract notably. Hence my intuitive generalization regarding the scalp. It could be interesting to find more information about it really.

Dave03

Reaction score
BruceLee . . . Aside from the shampoos I said, Im on Propecia and minoxidil. Thanks

G

Dave03 said:
BruceLee . . . Aside from the shampoos I said, Im on Propecia and minoxidil. Thanks

The vehicle in the minoxidil may be giving you some contact derm. Dr. Lee has a formula with a different base. Might be worth a shot.

Good luck :lol: