Nioxin

G

Lysergiaa said:
NIOXIN's cleansers gently remove DHT - a major cause of hair loss - from the scalp skin together with all the build-up from conventional styling and conditioning products.

NIOXIN's Scalp Therapy restores energy and moisture levels to the scalp skin as it imparts conditioners on the hair.

Sorry but this science is incorrect. The "villian" in the scalp is not DHT, but 5 alpha reductase.. This is sourced from DHT, but is not DHT per se.

So, nioxin does not have this correct, even in its verbiage on the bottle.. Moreover, it has never demonstrated that whatever it has in the formula is even remotely effective against male pattern baldness in any clinical trial that I have read about.

As we have said before, Nioxin conditioner and shampoo are just that, very nice, very expensive products that make your hair look good and your scalp tingle. Don't confuse that for being effective against male pattern baldness because it is not.

So, my friend, give it up and get with something that works. Nioxin does not work and you have no research that says otherwise. If you do, bring it on!

G

Lysergiaa said:
NIOXIN's cleansers gently remove DHT - a major cause of hair loss - from the scalp skin together with all the build-up from conventional styling and conditioning products.

NIOXIN's Scalp Therapy restores energy and moisture levels to the scalp skin as it imparts conditioners on the hair.

BTW- there is no evidence that one can "cleanse" away 5 alpha reductase from the hair follicle. I have never seen anyone make or back up that claim. Nor do I know what "ergerizing the scalp" actually means?

Pseudoscience!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

BruceLee said:
Sorry but this science is incorrect. The "villian" in the scalp is not DHT, but 5 alpha reductase.. This is sourced from DHT, but is not DHT per se.

So, nioxin does not have this correct, even in its verbiage on the bottle.. Moreover, it has never demonstrated that whatever it has in the formula is even remotely effective against male pattern baldness in any clinical trial that I have read about.

As we have said before, Nioxin conditioner and shampoo are just that, very nice, very expensive products that make your hair look good and your scalp tingle. Don't confuse that for being effective against male pattern baldness because it is not.

So, my friend, give it up and get with something that works. Nioxin does not work and you have no research that says otherwise. If you do, bring it on!

A thousand pardons for the mistake in my reply above. I actually reversed the DHT/alpha reductase sequence, an error almost too horrible to contemplate. Dashed on the rocks of too much wine last night!

Having said that, I stand by statement that there is no shampoo out there that I know of that can "cleanse the DHT away from a damaged hair follicle. At least none that has demonstrated this scientifically.

Lysergiaa

Reaction score
Well for whatever reason, this seems to be working better then anything else I've tried. I've taken into consideration, that the possibility of my hairloss might not even be attributed to DHT anyway. I'm fairly young and there is no scientific evidence that says it is or isn't.

But judging on the success I had with a product called Shen Min(and yes I know about its active ingredient saw palmetto) as opposed to minoxidil. I'm skeptical that it is. The only thing with that product was the abnormal bowel activity which I wasn't to fond of. I did regrow hair on that...yes I actually did, but I went off it for the reason given above.

So as it stands we all react differently to different things, and so far Nioxin has at least slowed the hairloss down a bit. I tried a product called Nisim shampoo only because my Dad had bought it. I must say that sh*t is terrible. So all of this scientific jargon makes me rather I'll because no matter how much evidence you can come to the forefront with at present tense....there is nothing saying they won't discover several negative findings down the road.

Afterall, we can only research as far as our resources will let us. As technology advances, so do the research tools that bring us new findings daily. This results into more pros and cons.

Lysergiaa

Reaction score
This reminds me. I have bad allergies and I used to be on this antihistamine called Seldane. You could buy it over the counter. It was sold off the shelf for 3-4 years until some lady had a seizure taking it and they found out it was linked to the Seldane. After that it was sold over the counter. As time went on a few more "rare" cases were reported. It then became a product you could only acquire through prescription.

Oh and remember aspartame and diet soft drinks? Who knew it could be so bad for you? I guess you can never research enough before selling a product. You could research it for 20 years before putting it on the shelf, and they'd still find something negative on it, albeit not as severe. These were just a few examples of extreme incidents.

bombscience

Reaction score
Here's a little update on Nioxin:

If anyone notices the 3rd ingredient is none other that PPG. This pretty much tears my scalp apart. So I guess that's the end of my use of that stuff.

Anyone have a good replacement shampoo that thickens?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
good thread :D