Nioxin Routine

SAMPSON

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

Quick question-

I decided it was high time I started a Nioxin routine, but when I went to the store in my area that sells these types of products, I was completely confused at all of the different kinds of Nioxin bottles that were on the shelf. There had to be 20 or 30 different bottles and packs floating around the shelves! What is considered the "best" routine, and what am I looking for on each bottle when I purchase it? Thanks alot!

G

Sampson,

You bet it can be a maze and very confusing. :?

What you are seeing on the shelf are the following options: A scalp treatment which you can apply directly to the scalp, the shampoo form which I find most folks use because it's easy to use. Then there's the oral form which is not opted for as much.

Some of these products especially the oral ones do contain DHT blocking elements like Saw Palmetto, etc which under some controlled placebo studies have demonstrated effectiveness with both Type 1 & 2 DHT.

So what you may want to look for are the "distinguishing ingredients" that cleanses excess sebum containing elevated levels of DHT from the scalp, and also offer the additional hair nutrients that you may want to include in your regimen. It's really a matter of what you are trying to accomplish.

My suggestion would be to first do a search online for Nioxin products and then you can read what ingredients most of the manufacturers are including and then you'll make more sense of it when you read the product labels on the shelf. Best wishes!

SAMPSON

Reaction score
Hey, thanks Gill.

While I have your attention on the subject - Is Nizoral part of this Nioxin family? In your opinion, if you had to recommend a shampoo/treatment routine in an effort to retard future loss, what would you suggest?
Thanks as always...

G

You're welcome Sampson :wink: .

From my understanding Nizoral really does not inhibit DHT nor removes the sebum on the scalp which contain high levels of DHT. Nioxin is supposed to actually remove the "excess" sebum.

Nizoral is often recommended as an anti-dandruff shampoo to treat scalp flaking and itching. It contains a broad spectrum synthetic antifungal agent Ketoconazole typically at 1% concentrate. Most patients tell me they utilize it as a scalp invigorator and cleanser. Some guys have told me that minoxidil really dried out their scalp. Minoxidil products tend to have an extremely high level of alchohol which can dry the scalp. Some tell me that Nizoral has helped with that problem.

Here's my take. Propecia is the single most effective med for treating male pattern baldness and that's based on the very highest percent of men taking it tell me. Minoxidil ranks second and I know virtually thousands of men using both. And I find that very interesting that they are the only two approved by the FDA for treating male pattern baldness. Everything else has been hit and miss except those guys who cut Proscar in place of buying Propecia. A very high percent of them have great results too because it is the same active ingredient as Propecia. Propecia also has the ongoing clinical trials to support its longer term usage. Because I am an advocate and not a doctor I always recommend patients to see their hair transplant doctor for proper diagnoses of male pattern baldness and discussion of Propecia and minoxidil. Many reputable hair transplant surgeons have endless patients on Propecia and can give you feedback on their findings.

Some tell me that they have less hairloss when they included things like Nioxin and even MSM, supplements like that. My thoughts? Use what works for you. Everyone responds differently to meds "and" supplements so most have to go through the trial and error approach. I know this site offers some hairloss products as well don't they? Hope this was helpful Sampson and let us know what you end up including in your regimen. :)