Newbie - Some advice please

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been on propecia and minoxidil since May 2007 and need some advice because it doesn't seem to be working. I also use the hairmax laser comb 3x per week as well. This was to combat my receding hairline, I haven't started thinning on top.

Initially, the results seemed positive. Between May and July 2007 I was less worried about hairloss as my hairline seemed stronger even though there was ne real regrowth. Between August and October the hair did seem weaker but there was no great recession or shedding, so I wasn't really cncerned.

However, I experienced a shed in October which was annoying, although I thought it was a normal occurance. But in recent weeks my frontal hairline seems to have shed and as a result, is less defined and further back. I'm really concerned because although I am aware of shedding, my hair seems to be falling out at a rapid rate and I just feel the propecia isn't holding off hair loss, and the minoxidil isn't regrowing hair.

male pattern baldness is very prevalent in my family; 3 of my older brothers are either bald or balding so I know I have the male pattern baldness gene

I want to know if changing medications would revive my fortunes. I was thinking of going on to dutasteride but, given the shedding effect of the propecia, would dutasteride be worse, OR, would dutasteride block the DHT that the propecia is failing to block.

I have also read about some people having better success with a less potnt product that doesn't cause shedding, i.e. proscar.

I would be very grateful if people could give some advice re the following:

1. Should I add/switch to dutasteride?

2. Is the minoxidil the cause of the shedding and is this normal?

3. Is is still normal to shed 9mths in?

Cheers guys, sorry for the long post...