Newbie Question, Matching System Colour To Dyed Hair

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been answered before, but at first glance I cannot find the guidance on this particular aspect to wearing a system.

So basically, I'm at a stage where I'm really interested in taking the plunge of trying out a system. But, one thing that bothers me is I colour my hair (I'm a natural dark brown)(what's left of it) approximately every 2 weeks, otherwise I have old Grampa levels of grey hair on the sides/back of my hair. This leaves the colour of my hair kind of 'ever changing' from going to dark initially to increasing amounts of grey until I cut/dye it again (also add in some fading from the sun to the dyed hair in this time). Add into this the initial colouring is not always the same dark brown it seems to me.
So anyway, my point with all this is how to get/keep a good colour match for a system with this in mind?

Also it's not really an option for me to simply stop dyeing my hair and just match the colour of the system to my grey hair as it kinds of defeats the point of getting one to make me look younger.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually have a client who matches his hair to his system color.

Simple, make sure that whoever is doing your dye job, does it right, and you do it often enough.

Unless your bio hair is SUPER short, and it's just grow-out, something is not right. Properly dyed hair lasts until you go and get the roots touched up. It should NOT fade after two weeks.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I should add I do the colouring myself (usually Just for Men) and buzz it myself (#2), it does the job and looks good enough for me. But I need to do it every 2 weeks, otherwise it starts to look messy as my side/back hair grow quite quickly.
I appreciate with a system I could grow my hair longer, prolonging the cut/due cycle, so this would alleviate some of the variability. I guess the other thing to do would be to upgrade to a more professional colour for consistency?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK,

That explains it!

The length is probably the major problem. It's like guys who dye stubble beards. It looks ok, MAYBE for a day.

Try a longer length, and unless you are going for an undercut or a Viking look, you will need some more length for your cut-in.

If you see actual fading (which would be impossible on buzzed hair), go for a better quality dye, switch to the Woman's hair color section, and go for something like L'Oréal, or something else high-end. Men's hair colour is usually rubbish.

Good luck, mate!

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers!

Yeah, I'll just need to grow my hair longer when I get a system. Now all I need to do is choose one

Quite excited at the prospect of having hair again, it's been so long!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
My pleasure!

For me, it was decades.

You are in the UK?

PM me, we can chat, I might be able to help you out with this.

Steve

kyuss

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK,

That explains it!

The length is probably the major problem. It's like guys who dye stubble beards. It looks ok, MAYBE for a day.

Try a longer length, and unless you are going for an undercut or a Viking look, you will need some more length for your cut-in.

If you see actual fading (which would be impossible on buzzed hair), go for a better quality dye, switch to the Woman's hair color section, and go for something like L'Oréal, or something else high-end. Men's hair colour is usually rubbish.

Good luck, mate!
I definitely agree with this. I use L'Oréal myself and never had any issues. Hair dye for women also has a much bigger selection of colours and shades to choose from.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dye my bio hair w/ l'Oreal, etc. types of products for women.

But the way to go in your case is to dye your bio hair to match the color of the hair in your piece.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually have a client who matches his hair to his system color.

Simple, make sure that whoever is doing your dye job, does it right, and you do it often enough.

Unless your bio hair is SUPER short, and it's just grow-out, something is not right. Properly dyed hair lasts until you go and get the roots touched up. It should NOT fade after two weeks.

Sounds like demi-perm dye?

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've gone for an all poly unit with a 'v-loop' construction, reason being is the skin looks very natural in the examples I've seen if you can see through the hair, and also I don't tend to sweat a lot so hopefully this won't be a problem.
I'm mainly interested to see what it looks like to have hair again for the first unit, and if it looks good, to wear it only on 'days out'. It would be too obvious to suddenly have a full head of hair again to people who know me, and I can't risk that at work.

At the end of my use of it, I'm going to do an experiment and buzz it to grade 3 or 4, to see if it still looks natural - I'm hoping the 'v-loop' will help with this. If it does, then with future units, I could cut it into the shape of my existing recession and so hopefully it would look like my hair, but just a bit 'fuller' to other people who know me. I could then progress through the Norwood scale with each unit, and it would just look like regrowth to other people. Has anyone done such a thing, or does this sound too ambitious?