Newbie minoxidil question - side effects - HELP

wooly

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been lurking for a couple of months after recently taking the step to stop my gradual hair loss. I'm 37 and still have a decent head of hair but it definately has been thinning for the last 5-7 years. I'd say that I'm in the "see through" period, ie - in certain types of lighting you can see through my head of hair and see my dome.

Anyway, I started using Kirkland's 5% minoxidil about 1.5 months ago and immediately had the racing heart side effect which prompted me to find this site and reading up on the product. I was applying the dosage pretty loosely, maybe getting a little more than 1 ml morning and night on a towel dired scalp (still a bit wet). After reading up I've reduced my dosage to approximately 80-100% of the recommended dosage (1ml 2 times a day) on a blown dry scalp. Since then, the racing heart rate has mellowed out but I still feel a bit hypertensive and have noticed that I've had very dull headaches as well. I initially attributed the headaches to work, kids, lack of sleep, etc. but I realized that my lifestyle hasn't changed but the addition of minoxidil has.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. I thought about getting the 2% minoxidil but Costco doesn't sell it.

Thanks everyone.

Wooly (not)

shel74nf

Reaction score
i would get off minoxidil ...if your having those problems now, over the long term it will only get worse. messing with your heart is not good. i had the same issues as you describe,and dropped it after a few days. i'm not a doctor, but being in a constant state of hypertension can't be a good thing.

Shel

wooly

Reaction score
I think you are right. I was momentarily insane thinking that i could deal with the side effects since the minoxidil was working. But there is no way I want any cardiac issues in a quest to regrow hair.

I did look at diluting the 5% mix with isopropyl alcohol. I may get off the 5% and restart with the diluted mix when the side effects subside. Then see if they come back. In the end, my hair isn't that important. I've got three sons and a wife to worry about!

Thanks for the reply!

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well from my experience, I had the rapid heartbeat all the time when I first started using it. I didn't panic though b/c I knew it was a common side effect that's probably due to using an excess amount of minoxidil. So I started using less and overtime, my body got used to it and the rapid heartbeat disappeared.

Btw, I was using 1ml for my hairline just like you, which is too much for just that one area. Now I only use about 0.333 ml...