newbie here some questions about propecia

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just turned 21 and each day I look at my hair it seems as if it is only going to get worse. I am not bad right now probably a Norwood 1 or 1.5 when my hair is wet. I have just started shedding a lot since about march and there does not seem to be any sign of slow down. I am worried about what the potential side effects of starting propecia or finasteride at such an early age, but I am more worried about not having hair in a couple of years. I was wondering what the best plan of attack is at this point and if anyone around this age is using propecia i.e. if I start using it now will that affect my likelyhood of having kids later on down the line or will the hair that grows eventually catch up to the small amount of hair that I have already lost? What can I do if my dr refuses to give me a prescription for finasteride or propecia. Any help would be great.

sorry if this gets posted more than once, having a little problem with the computer

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've heard reports that finasteride makes your nuts explode, severly limiting one's chances of having kids (not to mention ruining a perfectly good set of underwear and trowsers). Gardener can tell you more about this.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
On a serious note I think your age is not a problem . I wish this site was around when I was 20 or I would have all my hair .Good choice visiting this site .Have no concern for your hair .

Zax

Reaction score
I just started propecia today. Just getting sick of how fast my shedding is happening.

2 years ago my hair was extremely thick. Everyone stated that I would never go bald. I mean, I must have been losing hair by the hundreds every day in a shower. It's all over diffuse thinning. And it never seems to be growing back. Last year, I could only tell after showering. Now, I can tell even without showering. At the rate I'm losing it, I'll have a completely bald head in 1 year.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kevin fretwell said:
On a serious note
Whatchu tryin to say? You dont think I'm being sincere? :whistle:

21, to address your concerns, dont worry about it. Just do routine maintence checks on your plumbing to make sure everythings working, if you catch my drift. If you find you're having serious problems (keeping in mind a large number of us have experienced a significant dip in libido that has balanced out), then you can always quit the finasteride.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
21, youre not too young to start finasteride. i started it just before turning 18. no problems, only a really small drop in libido that lasted hardly any time, like a week or something. you wont regret getting on finasteride. the sooner the better.

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
got a script for finasteride today, Dr was not sure about splitting the proscar into 5ths but at least I got a script for the finasteride, I do not really want to use minoxidil, I was wondering what else I should do. What exactly is spironolactone and what does it do? I am thinking about going on Tricomin, but alas I am in college so I do not know how far the funds may stretch. Anymore help or advice would be great.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
21 gone, I wouldn't worry too much about using finasteride. I've used it myself for nearly four years with nary a side effect.

In fact, I think we'll all look back 20 years from now and have a big laugh over today's Propecia scare stories.

Of course, we'll all be completely bald too, so that will make it even funnier.

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
Your doctor is obviously not well schooled in finasteride use or he would have no problem with splitting into 5ths/4ths .I remember going to a derm Doctor back in 98 when there was a good chance of a decent head of hair and the uneducated bastard said there's nothing out there to help except hair plugs so I took his retarded advice and went for one session and lol and behold I have a connect the dots patern on my hairline .Well not really because I've pluck them till most of it didn't come back .You find yourself a good out of U.s supplier who will write a prescrip for ya and hook your Doctor up with this site adress .

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
flux said:
I've heard reports that finasteride makes your nuts explode, severly limiting one's chances of having kids (not to mention ruining a perfectly good set of underwear and trowsers). Gardener can tell you more about this.

I've heard the same tales of woe, but now a Brazilian clinic offers sufferers hope - a pioneering transplant technique which allows doctors to graft on a new, fully functioning, testis has been perfected.

Unfortunately for legal reasons they're currently unable to offer transplants of human testes but the clinic does offer a wide range of animal testicles, with something for everyone's budget, from Labrador - $1000 per nut right up to Orang-utan - $10000 per nut.

This months special offer: Buy any two and get one free!

Slarti

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I received a call from the Doctor today and he apologized for not knowing about the Proscar and wrote me a prescription. I think I would go with a middle of the price range perhaps a lion testicle for around $500. Any more help with what I should use would be great.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
JJ Gittes said:
In fact, I think we'll all look back 20 years from now and have a big laugh over today's Propecia scare stories.

I wish I could laugh with you. Unfortunately I've experienced a serious side effect. Trust me it's no laughing matter. It's all funny until it happens to you.

BHD

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised your Doctor didn't know about proscar .Doctors nowadays are two busy running around the office making money to get up to date info on what is happening on the hairloss front so I would advice anyone who asks me to first and for most jump on this site and do your own research on products .I had spent 12,000 on one session of plugs when I should have simply bought finasteride and min and researched from there due to the ignorance of the Doctor I visited .That goes for any medical problem , don't depend on Doctor .

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
BHD: I can certainly empathize with your finasteride difficulties. I'm planning on switching to dutasteride, and if that switch should be accompanied by nasty side effects, I know I won't be happy, either.

My only point, however, is to note that most people, despite the abundance of forum horror stories, do not experience problems with finasteride.

Gittes

Kevin fretwell

Established Member
Reaction score
The brain has very little of the chemical that finasteride gets rid of but dutasteride gets rid of an enzyme that is abundant in the brain .Your asking for trouble with dutasteride until a long term study is completed on its use .But then again it may have no effect what so ever .

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
You're right about the potential risks of dutasteride. I'm weighing that very carefully. Unlike finasteride, there's neither long-term data nor a group of guys in the Dominican Republic with a 5AR defect, etc.

Obviously, hair loss treatment is largely about keeping what ya got until, hopefully, a better solution come around in the near future.

So, in other words, I'm not necessarily looking at using dutasteride for the rest of my life.