New Research: Common Latent Virus A Cause Of male pattern baldness?

InfamousOne

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...lding-can-a-virus-be-the-cause-300774217.html

Hair loss starts with an increase in the 5α-reductase protein. This protein increases the levels of the DHT molecule, which binds to the androgen receptor (AR). This binding causes hair loss. The reason for the increase in the 5α-reductase protein, the event that starts the process, is unknown. Pharmaceutical drugs that try to stop the process include Finasteride, or Propecia, and Flutamide. These drugs stop the process in the middle. They don't target the cause of the hair loss.

The paper by Polansky and Kestenbaum identifies, for the first time, the cause of hair loss in men and women: latent, or hidden viruses. The paper describes how certain latent viruses cause hair loss and balding [1]. The paper uses the Microcompetition Model introduced by Hanan Polansky to explain how certain latent viruses increase the expression of the 5α-reductase gene in infected individuals [2,3].

According to the paper, certain viral genes compete with cellular genes for genetic resources. When someone is infected with a virus that carry such a gene, the viral gene increases the production of the 5α-reductase and the androgen receptor in the scalp of the infected individual. The increase of these proteins leads to hair loss and balding. The paper concludes by saying that since certain latent viruses are the cause of hair loss, future treatments should target these viruses [1].

Currently, there are no approved drugs that target latent viruses. The current antiviral drugs only target replicating viruses, or viruses that are in an active state. The CBCD recommends that people who suffer from hair loss and balding try dietary supplements that target latent viruses, or treatments that boost the immune system against latent viruses.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jocd.12710

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lool f*** off are viruses the cause, thats some of the dumbest sh*t i’ve ever heard. These authors legit spent more time explaining what MPΒ is than discussing their outlandish theory, further they didn’t even bother to test the hypothesis, how these two muppets got accepted in a medical journal is anyones guess.

abcdefg

Reaction score
lool f*** off are viruses the cause, thats some of the dumbest sh*t i’ve ever heard. These authors legit spent more time explaining what MPΒ is than discussing their outlandish theory, further they didn’t even bother to test the hypothesis, how these two muppets got accepted in a medical journal is anyones guess.

Women injected with T actually go bald by the way. So if this theory were true women would be going bald almost as commonly as men, and have beards because they would have elevated expression of 5 ar gene so more DHT. Doesnt seem to be the case to me just from pure observation
There is a pretty strong case for hormones simply from the huge difference between men and women when it comes to male pattern baldness. Nothing else explains it.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Women injected with T actually go bald by the way. So if this theory were true women would be going bald almost as commonly as men, and have beards because they would have elevated expression of 5 ar gene so more DHT. Doesnt seem to be the case to me just from pure observation
There is a pretty strong case for hormones simply from the huge difference between men and women when it comes to male pattern baldness. Nothing else explains it.

hair loss with miniaturization in women is not always clearly explained by androgens excess. some of them have normal levels of all testable hormones including T, and are not responsive to androgen blockers. So, despite DHT being the major destructive force in hair miniaturization (I am not talking about telogen effluvium here) it is definitely not the only culprit.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And women bald in a different pattern. Something else going on here.

Were there any studies comparing DHT levels between bald/hirsute men? both scalp/systemic DHT?

Maybe the THF/5a-THF ratio? or 3-adiol-G levels?

Last edited:

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And women bald in a different pattern. Something else going on here.

Were there any studies comparing DHT levels between bald/hirsute men? both scalp/systemic DHT?

Maybe the THF/5a-THF ratio? or 3-adiol-G levels?

They will bald in the male pattern if they take T.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
To me Search for cure of male pattern baldness is now seems more complex than search for "theory of everything" in physics. May be one day we could encompasses relatively and quantum mechanics and would have everything explained but male pattern baldness would remain a never ending mystery.

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
male pattern baldness appears to run in families though. I don't know if there are any studies supporting this though

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness appears to run in families though. I don't know if there are any studies supporting this though

Don't most things? In this case it could just be some kind of genetic reaction to the virus....obviously oversimplifying it.