New Johnson & Johnson Patent - CONTINUS COGGYGRIA

LinuxCavalier

Reaction score
sounds interesting
Surprisingly, we have found that a concentrated, aqueous Cotinus coggygria extract can effectively induce hair growth when topically applied. We observed a potent increase in hair growth in vivo in all animals treated with a concentrated Cotinus coggygria extract. More surprisingly, the Cotinus extract induced hair growth faster than 5% Minoxidil.

details on how to make:
The leaves may then be crushed and the larger sticks removed to facilitate extraction. The remaining material should be placed in boiling water and boiled for at least about two minutes and up to about thirty minutes in a sealed container with agitation as needed. Longer boiling time is acceptable but will not extract a substantial amount of material. After the boiling process is complete, the container should be immediately withdrawn from the heating source, kept covered, and stored at room temperature for from about 1 hour to about 12 hours. This may be accompanied with occasional agitation; the longer the mixture is stored, the less agitation may be needed. The extract should then be filtered, and excess liquid removed from the material. The resulting extract constitutes a concentration of approximately 30mg/ml Cotinus coggygria extract. In order to prepare more concentrated material, the extract should be further concentrated by reducing the volume to between about two and about five times its original yield to produce between a 60mg/ml and a 150mg/ml extract. This process should be achieved by heating and evaporating the material on a stirrer plate at a most preferred temperature of between about 800C and about 85°C. The extract may then be stored at 40C without losing activity.

it looks to be quite a bit more effective than 5% minoxidil if i am reading their table right:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/fetch2.jsp ... 70&REDIR=1

michael barry

Reaction score
the common name for this stuff is "smoketree"

I wonder if there is any history with smoketree extract or smoketree oils and treating common baldness. Its an unusual looking plant (I did a google image search on it).

The patent............I skimmed a few pages, mentions that its effective against mouse ear edema, which is a model used to show something is good against inflammation. It induced growth about equivalent to 5-percent minoxidil, but could do it faster if they used enough of it. Interesting........

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this thing available from any source except from growing your own plant?
hh

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into this a bit more? Sumach, smoke tree, CONTINUS COGGYGRIA oil or extract

I tried to find a source for the essential oil or extract of this plant but didnt find any in the US...

The only sources I could find where producers in Bulgaria...

There must be a source for this e.oil in the US...or England or Canada.. I just couldnt find it on the web... but there has to be one out there..

any leads welcome :)

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The problem with this stuff is that it has a strong smell. There's no way that it could be worn every day.

harold

Established Member
Reaction score
Bigger problem - the active ingredient is from the aqueous extract. The oil is probably worthless for us.
hh

patagonia

Established Member
Reaction score
Cotinus Coggygria or smoketree is a common ornamental bush (tree)...in the US and Europe. I found a bunch of sources on the net.

Making the aqueous extract with the leafs shouldn't´ be complicated.

If the extract has a strong smell, one could use it at night mixed with another topical (minoxidil, aloe, revivogen...etc) and using a few drops of an essential oil to hide the smell ie: eucalyptus, lemon, orange, lavender, peppermint etc, etc , etc essential oils. You can use any essential oil you liked, and this would only be neccesary if you mind the smell of the leafs.

This extract could even be added to our shampoo.

My guess is that if one can find a source for the leafs of smoketree, then making the extract would be inexpensive. This would make it possible to add as much of the extract as you wanted.

this smoke tree bush seems to be quiet common:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/trees-new/cotinus_coggygria.html