New hair transplant/HM Technique

Adrian

Reaction score
Link:
http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus ... 40040.html

Article:
GENOA (ANSA) - Italian stem-cell researchers say they've come up with a new technique for curing baldness.

Pierluigi Santi of a Genoa clinic said stem cells could be used to "multiply" hair roots.

He said the clinic would be ready to perform its first hair transplants on priority patients - those who have lost their hair in fires or other accidents - within a few months.

After that, he said, "we'll open our doors to paying customers".

Santi's approach works by splitting roots and growing new follicles.

It can also be used to grow new skin on burn victims like firemen, he said.

The researcher said he hoped for "considerable" returns on the new therapy - enabling his clinic to focus on its prime goal, cancer research.

The topic is also discussed on some detail in this forum:
http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php ... 4205&page=

What do you guys think?

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Looks like a variant on Intercytex...great news there are more companies at it...its only a matter of time..would be great if it was this year...

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
Even if they release in 2007 (which i highly doubt) I would wait till 2012 at least before using it. I'm not gonna be one of the people they work the bugs out on.

G

Optimist said:
Even if they release in 2007 (which i highly doubt) I would wait till 2012 at least before using it. I'm not gonna be one of the people they work the bugs out on.

Yep, I plan the same. I am gonna wait for at least five years before I get it done. That´s why I hope it comes out soon so that i don´t have to wait too long.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any of the experts on here have any info on this? They sound quite optimistic.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
anyone else optimistic about this as I thought they'd be more discussion tbh...

Perhaps another one of these then?

lameduck.jpg

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JDW, by "this" do you mean this thread about the new hair multiplication technique, or are you asking about Intercytex and their phase II trials on their Trychocyte product?

If you were asking about more info on Intercytex, check out this link:
http://www.intercytex.com/icx/products/aesthetic/icxtrc/

This is where they mention that preliminary results from Phase II trials are expected to be available by mid 2007.

I don't have any more links about the other HM effort, which is the original subject of this thread... I think. We do tend to get sidetracked on this site.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cool, thanks. I don't know, I guess I didn't even read the original article.? It's just too easy to be skeptical. But even so, the more we hear that this approach is possible, the more I am optimistic about this and also Intercytex' work.

This could be a very good year.

G

Hey elguapo, how is your hair holding out? I remember you were a diffuser and used rogaine and finasteride.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm doing well. Hairline is still receding every so slowly. Actually I think it started to go just a TAD faster since I relaxed the use of rogaine, going to once a day, and maybe even missing one or two days a week. Temples are receding a little bit, too, worse than my hairline. I'd say in the last 3 years, everything has receded about a quarter inch. But I think my hair is thicker than before I started Rogaine and finasteride. I think they are helping.

I'm also accepting it a little better than before, but I'm in my early thirties, so that probably helps, too. Actually, I just started talking to this really cool girl, and she asked me FLAT OUT if I was going to be bald, when we were discussing aging in general. I said yeah, if I follow in my dad's footsteps. She said she couldn't care less. Just good to hear that, you know?

Later, and good luck.

Adrian

Reaction score
By the sounds of it, this looks pretty exciting - probably more so at this point in time than Intercytex because this technology is supposedly available now (I read an article where Santi is quoted as saying he was opening for business in a few months) whereas Intercytex is quite a long ways away.

This may not be as revolutionary as Intercytex, but given a good transplant doctor, the result is pretty much the same. By the way the article reads, it sounds as if the procedure yields unlimited donor hair.

Given a choice between waiting for Intercytex (who knows, maybe 2008, 2009, 2010) or having this procedure done now, I would definitely go for this. Hair is much more valuable when you are young (I don't care if I am bald at 80), and I am not getting any younger waiting for Intercytex or Aderans!

astro6969

Reaction score
Expensive

How much do you think is it going to cost for a hair mutiplication/transplantation ?

I am sure at the start this is going to be VERY expensive... A lot for than the old chirurgical thing.

I someone here have information on the cost ?

PM

Optimist

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about the cost, I bet it will be close to the price of a transplant.

I would worry more about the efficacy of the procedure. If you look at the evolution of hair transplant surgery, it took 50 years to get from the first crude procedures to the excellent ones we have today. I expect hair multiplication will evolve over a period of time as well before it gets to the point where it is a solid option. I don't think it will take 50 years, but I expect it will take 5 or 10 to get the bugs out.

Just my opinion.....

astro6969

Reaction score
I don't know... Once you have the hair in hand, is it the same procedure that a tradiotional transplant...

So I guess when all the problems for the hair multiplication will be fixed, I will be successful...

astro