New growth from dutasteride after using finasteride for long time?

Mr. Blackwell

Reaction score
Can dutasteride grow new hair when changing from finasteride to dutasteride?

I have been on Propecia for over 5 years and it has worked like a dream, stopped hairloss, grown some new hair and no side effects.
I have grown a lot of hair with Rogaine as well, so I really should be happy with my treatment (and I am).

Having read a lot of stuff about these drugs I thought maybe after 5 years of finasteride it might be safe and a good idea to try something more powerful like dutasteride.

But can dutasteride do anything for me?
I have regrown a lot of hair, and maintained what I have for years. So is it possible after all these years that dutasteride might still grow some hair that finasteride hasn't?
Or are all non-growing follicles way too dead by now?

If dutasteride would have such a dramatic improvement as both Propecia and Rogaine had on my hair, I think it could cover the remaining baldspot on the back at least.
But if it can't grow any more, I don't think there's much point in going from finasteride to dutasteride, is there?

Is there anybody here with any similar situation/experience?

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I took Propecia for 1 year, started growing hair after 7-8 months (this is after 15 without treatments).

Stopped cold turkey and changed to Avodart 3 x Week (I’ve been taking it for 2 months) and I´m still growing hair, but I also added other things to my regimen.

I think Emu oil may help on dormant follicles:

Michael Hollick, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Medicine, Physiology, and Dermatology at Boston University School of Medicine conducted a study involving emu oil and hair growth. His study found that there was a 20% increase in growth activity of skin that received emu oil, compared to skin that received corn oil. Looking at the hair follicles, Dr. Hollick realized they were much more robust, the skin thickness was remarkably increased, suggesting that emu oil stimulated skin growth and hair growth. Additionally, the study showed that over 80% of hair follicles that had been "asleep" were woken up, and began growing.

Mr. Blackwell

Reaction score
Sean68 said:
if it aint broke dont fix it.

Yeah.
A Good Advice.

But then again, it IS broken...
I mean, there are bald spots. And in front there are many hairs which are there thanks to min&finasteride, but they are not fully grown normal hair but "baby hair".

So I'm wondering if dutasteride could do something to make these thicker or longer or darker or something. Or maybe it don't do nothing...
That's what I'm trying to find out here.

I really don't need to fix anything, it's not that finasteride had stopped working. It's working just fine. But if dutasteride could do the very same what finasteride does now, and then some extra, like make half-grown hair full-lenght, it might be worth it? Or not?

If there are any long time finasteride users who have later changed to dutasteride, I would like to know what happened. Did dutasteride make the bald areas any thicker?

I have seen many short time users telling about their experiences, but I'm wondering what has happened to those who have been on finasteride 5 years or more, and then changed to dutasteride?

Felk

Reaction score
Hawaii male said:
i wonder the same for when i decide to change to dutasteride in about 4 months.

Why are you wanting to change Hawaii, though finasteride was working well for you too?

dem

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride finally stopped working for me after nearly 9 years. I have changed to dutasteride and am on my 3rd week. I am hoping for the continuation of success and maybe more with the dutasteride. I have also added a few new items to my regimen with the transition into dutasteride.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm at the 4-5 year mark with Propecia (and nothing else), and I think I plateued a couple of years ago. I bought a bunch of Dutas, but I also am going to start the foam so I hate to change it all at once, all my hair might fall out hehehe.