New Follicle Regenerative Trials In Italy

dr. cole

Reaction score
On Friday I flew to Italy to discuss new follicle regeneration trials with Pietro Gentile, MD, Ph.D. and Chiara Insalaco, MD. After spending a year with me, Dr. Insalaco is now pursuing her Ph.D. at the University of Rome, Sapienza, while offering hair restoration in her private practice and her University appointment. While I returned on Monday, this is the first opportunity I've had to report on this very significant meeting because I resumed work immediately.

We are starting two new trials involving the combination of a stromal vascular fraction with high-quality PRP (PRL) and second will include follicle stem cells. We discussed the protocols for each study. Neither technology is currently available in the USA. While I hope to bring these to the USA, I do encourage patients in Italy to enroll in these protocols. Both protocols are cutting edge regenerative medicine.
The limitations on our entry into regenerative medicine in the USA is a primary reason I have chosen to open an office in Rome, Italy. We will obtain follicle stem cells through mechanical separation. We will combine my method of minimal depth extraction to remove follicles to avoid pollution of the cell pool with fibroblasts and adipocytes. The use of stromal vascular fraction (SVF) is highly limited in the USA. The combination of SVF and PRP or PRL has not been studied yet in hair loss.

While we hope to evaluate the benefit of injecting follicle stem cells, my primary focus is on an unlimited donor supply by reintroducing follicle stem cells into minimal depth extraction sites along with an extracellular matrix.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Do the trials already have a timeline to assess the results?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unlimited donor would be fantastic

farkhairloss

Established Member
Reaction score
On Friday I flew to Italy to discuss new follicle regeneration trials with Pietro Gentile, MD, Ph.D. and Chiara Insalaco, MD. After spending a year with me, Dr. Insalaco is now pursuing her Ph.D. at the University of Rome, Sapienza, while offering hair restoration in her private practice and her University appointment. While I returned on Monday, this is the first opportunity I've had to report on this very significant meeting because I resumed work immediately.

We are starting two new trials involving the combination of a stromal vascular fraction with high-quality PRP (PRL) and second will include follicle stem cells. We discussed the protocols for each study. Neither technology is currently available in the USA. While I hope to bring these to the USA, I do encourage patients in Italy to enroll in these protocols. Both protocols are cutting edge regenerative medicine.
The limitations on our entry into regenerative medicine in the USA is a primary reason I have chosen to open an office in Rome, Italy. We will obtain follicle stem cells through mechanical separation. We will combine my method of minimal depth extraction to remove follicles to avoid pollution of the cell pool with fibroblasts and adipocytes. The use of stromal vascular fraction (SVF) is highly limited in the USA. The combination of SVF and PRP or PRL has not been studied yet in hair loss.

While we hope to evaluate the benefit of injecting follicle stem cells, my primary focus is on an unlimited donor supply by reintroducing follicle stem cells into minimal depth extraction sites along with an extracellular matrix.
I was under the assumption that acell and the likes (matrix) were not approved in Europe? Also from some of your previous postings on other forums you have said in the past you were already getting 80% donor regeneration.

drakeznathan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Will take it if unlimited donor hair is a success :)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm... So the idea is that hair follicles are extracted via FUE and then the stem cells and ECM regenerate the extracted follicle? That's probably not it, excuse my stupidity.
On the off chance I have understood, wouldn't that essentially be the creation of a whole new follicle at a site where a follicle has been extracted? And if so, isn't that follicle neo genesis?

farkhairloss

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm... So the idea is that hair follicles are extracted via FUE and then the stem cells and ECM regenerate the extracted follicle? That's probably not it, excuse my stupidity.
On the off chance I have understood, wouldn't that essentially be the creation of a whole new follicle at a site where a follicle has been extracted? And if so, isn't that follicle neo genesis?
Yes I believe that is what he is saying. But as I said before he said in the past he was getting 80% donor regeneration with acell. Yet no one else has done this. If you speak to some of the best FUE doctors in Europe eg Feriduni, Lorenzo, they have tried acell and both of them believe it does sfa for results or regeneration. Even Rahal states on his website he doesnt believe in it.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I thought. If donor regeneration is essentially follicle neogenesis then it does seem a bit far fetched...

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Roberto I feel a bit ignorant and i do not want to insult anyone (especially the DR) --is this similar to Kerastem in theory? meaning is it lipo then manipulating or creating a substance for injections (and obviously something different to substance)
OR is this about doing something during a transplant?
Im new to this so a lot of the terms are lost on me 'minimal depth extraction sites' to me i am thinking this is to do with transplant.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Roberto I feel a bit ignorant and i do not want to insult anyone (especially the DR) --is this similar to Kerastem in theory? meaning is it lipo then manipulating or creating a substance for injections (and obviously something different to substance)
OR is this about doing something during a transplant?
Im new to this so a lot of the terms are lost on me 'minimal depth extraction sites' to me i am thinking this is to do with transplant.
From what I can understand the idea is to obtain unlimited donor by introducing follicle stem cells where hair is extracted, i.e. the back of the head. I guess it might be like having a donor area "refill" that allows you to have as many transplants as needed.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that's what it sounds like... My question is, why can they stimulate hair follicle growth in empty extraction sites but not on bald scalp? Is there some apparatus remaining after follicle Extraction that needs just some stem cells and ECM to generate a whole new follicle? It just sounds like neogenesis if follicles in places where none exist (extraction sites) and if neogenesis is possible using stem
Cells, why bother extracting hairs from the back at all?