Need some quick, expierenced advice please

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been parting my hair around the same area for abut the past 9 yrs and i'm starting to receed an thin in the front around that area and I can tell it's only gonna get worse. I'm 23 and I'd like to stop this asap. I'm trying to grow my hair out and I'd like to start wearing it pulled back alot, and I'll be to self conscious if I pull it back with the thinning in the front.
Is proscar the same thing as Propecia, just the generic version? Do I have to have a prescription to get it? Do you think I should start it? I hate to start propecia and minoxidil cause once I start I know I can't stop, pretty much the only area on my scalp I'd need the minoxidil is in the front, so I dont even know if I should start it because from what I've read it doesnt even have any effect on the front and hairline areas?
Any help and advice is much appreciated. Thanks alot

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris23 said:
Is proscar the same thing as Propecia, just the generic version? Do I have to have a prescription to get it? Do you think I should start it? I hate to start propecia and minoxidil cause once I start I know I can't stop, pretty much the only area on my scalp I'd need the minoxidil is in the front, so I dont even know if I should start it because from what I've read it doesnt even have any effect on the front and hairline areas?
Any help and advice is much appreciated. Thanks alot

proscar is technically the same thing as propecia. the studies done for propecia were based on 1mg of finasteride, proscar has 5mgs and when you cut it up, you dont know exactly how much medication is in each dose, where as with propecia, you know exactly how much you are getting

yes, you need a prescription to get either propecia or proscar

you should definitely take one or the other, they get to the root of the problem

while you cannot stop taking propecia and minoxidil, its better than going bald

minoxidil may have a minor effect on the frontal area of your scalp, but if you are looking for real results, you should look into hair transplant surgery, once you get the hair you really want, you can use the hairloss treatments to try to keep it in tact

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ehm. It does NOT sound like this guy needs a hair transplant. He is just starting to receed. minoxidil can help in the frontal areas. I filled in the corners of my front hairline with it. You do not need a prescription to get Proscar/Propecia.

Oh and Chris, pulling your hair back may aggrivate the situation,. if you do this, I would not pull it tight, but keep it loose.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
hi

Id like to avoid transplants at all costs, although ive considered it cause maybe 200 or so hairs should fill my thinning areas totally
ya ie heard about the pulling hair back my hair isnt long enuff to do it yet, i can only pull the top back the sides are a few inches away from it
I dont know if anyone watches wrestlng but does it look like shawn michaels is receeding in the front and hairline?
i dont know how rvd isnt receeding, ive been watching him for 10 yrs and hes had his hair pulled back every match and hes not thinning or receeding at all, wish i had that kinda luck *sighs*

hopewas

Reaction score
shawn michaels got a hair transplant. he had a bald spot and really thin hair a few years ago. about your situation. i think it's time for a new haircut. i used to have semi long hair.. i cut it short and combed it forward. you can't tell it's thinning in the front. but if i comb it back you can tell. short hair might not work for you or whatever, but it's either doing that or having people notice you're thinning

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: hi

Chris23 said:
i dont know how rvd isnt receeding, ive been watching him for 10 yrs and hes had his hair pulled back every match and hes not thinning or receding at all, wish i had that kinda luck *sighs*
Pulling it back may aggravate male pattern baldness, but if you don't have male pattern baldness, you're not going to lose your hair. Somewhere around 50% of males will go bald, the other half simply will not, due purely to genetics. But don't count yourself among the 50% of the balders,. count yourself among the <5% (guesstimate) that fight it, because with the current tools at our disposal, we're far more fortunate (for the most part) then those who don't.

Chris23

Established Member
Reaction score
my grandpa on my moms side was totally bald on top and the way im thinning in the front i assume that it is in me also.
If HBK had a hair transplant, why wouldnt he get the front fixed also? he's noticeably thinning around that area my hairline is almost exactly like his..that's why i was asking...
i had short hair a yr ago, and its just not me i hate it, every guy almost in the world has short hair, it's so bland, but i understand ur point when i had it short exactly the same style you said u have unless u got right up on me and looked you couldnt tell i was thinning at all, that was the only good thing about that style in my opinion
what treatments do you guys think i should start?

vodka by the gallon

Established Member
Reaction score
my hairline has been comming back using the lasercomb although the place where i used to part my hair is rather stubborn, but i do see little hairs comming out there all though other hairs at the hairline have grown out super fast where i used to part my hair they lagging thoo.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Chris23 said:
my grandpa on my moms side was totally bald on top and the way im thinning in the front i assume that it is in me also.
The idea that baldness is related primarily to your grandfather on your mothers side is a myth. fyi.