Need help!!! and advise fast!!! please

reallysad

Reaction score
Posted this is some forums with no replies. Hope someone here can help

Ok, i would be giving my story and I realy hope someone can advise me, give me hope and tell me the best course of action.

Right now, I am 22 years old. My hairloss is on the top.

I started seriously using Minoxidil since I was 19 (before that, i used it irregularly) and used it for over a year. I did not notice any hair growth.

So at age 21, I started using Propecia and at the same time stopping Minoxidil. After 3 to 4 months of use, i started shedding hair at an alarming rate, I panicked and stopped using it for a month and a half. Then, I started on it again.

I have read from the forums that Propecia causes an initial shedding. Can someone reassure me that it means that the drug is working? Is there a possibility that the shedding does not stop and the hair does not grow back? Also, could my shedding be due perhaps to the fact that I stopped using Minoxidil? How long does the shedding due to stopping Minoxidil last? It has been about 8 months since i stopped Minoxidil and the shedding still continues.

I am really most worried about my increased shedding due perhaps to Propecia. I am really in a dilema about whether to continue taking the drug.

Please, please help!!!

G

reallysad said:
Posted this is some forums with no replies. Hope someone here can help

Ok, i would be giving my story and I realy hope someone can advise me, give me hope and tell me the best course of action.

Right now, I am 22 years old. My hairloss is on the top.

I started seriously using Minoxidil since I was 19 (before that, i used it irregularly) and used it for over a year. I did not notice any hair growth.

So at age 21, I started using Propecia and at the same time stopping Minoxidil. After 3 to 4 months of use, i started shedding hair at an alarming rate, I panicked and stopped using it for a month and a half. Then, I started on it again.

I have read from the forums that Propecia causes an initial shedding. Can someone reassure me that it means that the drug is working? Is there a possibility that the shedding does not stop and the hair does not grow back? Also, could my shedding be due perhaps to the fact that I stopped using Minoxidil? How long does the shedding due to stopping Minoxidil last? It has been about 8 months since i stopped Minoxidil and the shedding still continues.

I am really most worried about my increased shedding due perhaps to Propecia. I am really in a dilema about whether to continue taking the drug.

Please, please help!!!

Stopping minxo while starting propecia was not the way to go. If it were me, I would go on the big three and stay on for one year at least, assuming you do not experience side effects from propecia.

IMHO, you need both minoxidil and propecia to do an adequate job, esp if you are aggressively thinning.

Good luck

fifty

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you, reallysad. I started Propecia and stopped minoxidil at the same time (because minoxidil wasn't making my hair better). Noticed big shed starting about 2 months afterward, lost a lot of hair.

It's well documented that stopping minoxidil causes a sizeable loss of hair. I recommend you get back on minoxidil ASAP and stick with the Propecia too.

reallysad

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Hey fifty, how long did you apply Minoxidil before the shedding stopped? Also, I suppose the general consensus is that Propesia is not the cause of my problems?

Hairless Potter

Established Member
Reaction score
Your shedding is the result of either advancing male pattern baldness, stopping the minoxidil, propecia shedding or a combination of the three. If its the propecia, stick with it as this is normal. If minoxidil discontinuation is also culprit, can either ride it out or go back on minoxidil. If its increase aggressiveness of male pattern baldness despite then your already on the only proven treatments (minoxidil and propecia). Whatever the situation, I would stick out the treatments for at least a year. Oh yeah, add nizoral shampoo if your not already on it. Good luck.

reallysad

Reaction score
One thing I would like to mention is that recently, the hair the is dropping no longer has a bulb attached to it. Can I take that as a positive sign? Or it does not mean anything?

Also, I have started using Minoxidil again

fifty

Established Member
Reaction score
My shedding seemed to stop or significantly slow down about a month after restarting minoxidil.

Stingray

Reaction score
Ahhh, here's the connundrum of minoxidil. You may not NOTICE any results, but what is a result? Perhaps you are slowing down the speed of hair thinning and loss, but as it accelerates, the slowing evens out. When you stopped the minoxidil, you found out exactly how well it was working for you. All those hairs that shed were hairs that were being affected by the minoxidil. I recommend one of two things. If your loss isn't significantly fast, then just stay on propecia for a while and see if things improve... but if it's alarmingly fast, then start the minoxidil back up. Since you shed apon stopping the minoxidil, that means that it was working for you. You will probably see better results after adding the finasteride to your treatment.

And no bulb is potentially a bad sign.

Good luck.

reallysad

Reaction score
I would like to ask another question

After 10 months of shedding, is it more likely due to Propesia or due to me stopping Minoxidil?

Because if its due to Propesia, maybe I should stop using it?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
reallysad -

Please see the article in the top left corner of this discussion forum. "Shedding: the four letter word of hair loss". We just released this article answering nearly every question you asked in your post. Check it out.

HairLossTalk.com

reallysad

Reaction score
A bit of an update, after about a week on minoxidil and while still on Propesia, for the past 2 days, i have seen reduced hair loss, (10-20) per day. I am cautiously optimistic.

Propesia finally working? Or Minoxidil?

If its Propesia, I would like to stop Minoxidil because I am afraid I would start shedding again.

Any advise?

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
id say get on propecia and stick to it - over the course of say 6 months, from everything ive read and the clinical trials data it cant make u lose nemore hair than ud already lost if u werent on ne treatments. i had a propecia shed for about 3 weeks but have since seen regrowth..i never expected it even though lots of people told me this would b the case. id say get on propecia and stick to it, no matter what (excluding crazy sideeffects). going on minoxidil? up to u but personally its not for me..i wouldnt b able to apply it every day for the rest of my life. depends. if u think uve ridden out the whole going-off-minoxidil shed and r happy to keep the hair u have now with a bit of thickening maybe, just go for propecia. just my opinion.

reallysad

Reaction score
"Sigh", I really don't know. My hairloss is back to normal 20-30 again. Maybe Minoxidil is starting to cause new shedding. However, I never noticed much of a shed when I was previously on minoxidil.

Anyhow, I am now trying my best not to think about my hairloss, and trying not to feel too depressed.

Also, if its possible, can anyone ans my earlier question about having white bulbs at the end of the hair? Having less hair that drops out with a white bulb attached, good or bad sign? Any idea?