My theory of why HM doesn't work all the time

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have a theory on hair growth. It is just my theory.

My theory is based on *my understanding* of 3 things that I have read on this site, related to:
1) Gho's work with Hair Multiplication
2) Hair Transplants, and the observation that not all donor follicles end up growing on the recipient site
3) Only 5/7 of the people involved in the Phase I clinical trial of ICX-TRC ended up growing some hair

This is *my understanding* of each of these 3 points:
1) Gho claims that donating a portion of a donor follicle from the back or side of the head, onto
a bald area of the scalp, actually stimulated the growth of dormant hair follicles near the follicle
that was implanted. So for whatever reason, you take a portion of a follicle from the donor site,
which is unsusceptible to DHT, implant it to the recipient site on the balding scalp, and for whatever reason
*some* of the dormant hair follicles near that new implanted follicle begin to regrow.

2) Not all of the donor hairs taken from the donor site, again unaffected by DHT, end up regrowing on the
recipient site. I admit that this point is a little weaker, and is loosely linked at best to my theory,
at least in my mind. But it might be linked.

3) It is possible that the 2 out of 7 people who participated in the Phase I trial of Intercytex Trichocyte
did not regrow any hair (not even "cosmetically unacceptable" or vellus hairs, I assume) because the cells
that were taken from the donor site and cultured/multiplied were out of the growth phase. So when the
cultured cells were injected into the recipient site of the balding scalp, they never sprouted into new hairs,
not even thin, vellus hairs.

This is what lead me to my theory:
A) Let's say 10% of hairs of the head are in the dormant telogen phase at any given point in time.
B) Let's say these 10% are not colocated in one spot on the head, but are spread about all over,
which is why you don't notice that 10% of our hairs are even dormant at all.
C) Let's say that hair follicles can somehow "signal" to each other whether to grow or not.
D) Let's label all hairs with numbers 1 - 10, so that at any given time hairs "#1" are in telogen,
and then hairs "#2", and so on, until it gets to hairs 10 and rolls back to 1 and the cycle begins again.

Without drawing a picture (which I can do upon request, but I hope I can articulate it in words first),
------------------
MY THEORY IS THIS:
------------------
What if HM and Gho's method (and hair transplants?) will only work if the hairs that are in the phase in which they
are signaling other hairs to grow are cultured and multiplied, so that those cells that are implanted
send signals to other nearby dormant follicles to grow?

so let's say follicles #5 are in the "signal to grow" mode. If you multiple this follicle and inject it
onto the balding scalp, it will signal a nearby telogen hair to also grow. But maybe there are only certain
combinations that work. Like if follicles 8, 9, and 10 are not in the mode to signal new growth, and they
are multiplied and injected, then you don't get the extra induced hair growth of nearby dormant follicles.
Or if the nearby dormant follicles are at number that will only be stimulated to grow by certain other numbers,
and those numbers aren't implanted close enough, then those dormant follicles will not grow.

I know this doesn't make much sense, but what the heck, I'm putting it out there.

Thoughts? Opinions? Again, just a theory, cut me some slack.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
You do have a good point about the DHT resistant hair being in telogen. The things is we don't know, that's probably why 2 of 7 patients didn't get any hair. The cells injected could've been in the telogen phase.

Good theory elguapo, I never thought of that. Maybe there is a way someone can see if the hair is in a certain phase.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes good theory, very good.

I don't have the slightest idea of how true it can be, but if it is true it would make sense and if it is not true then at least it sounds good :)

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
Could scientists perhaps get a test to determine which follicles in the back are not in the growth phase? Maybe like an X-Ray Test?

joe32

Established Member
Reaction score
DaSand said:
Could scientists perhaps get a test to determine which follicles in the back are not in the growth phase? Maybe like an X-Ray Test?[/quote

they prolly get samples from different areas then mix them up before injection ..

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
joe32 said:
DaSand said:
Could scientists perhaps get a test to determine which follicles in the back are not in the growth phase? Maybe like an X-Ray Test?[/quote

they prolly get samples from different areas then mix them up before injection ..

I never thought of that, good idea!