my story

G

i have been very underweight the better part of the last 5 years due mostly to smoking cigarettes and skipping meals.i am 19 and i have noticed my thick hair has thinned immensley. the actual hairs look to have gotten half as thick as when i was younger. i have a perfect hairline and noone in my family is losing their hair. i also have a few random bald spots about the size of a pinky nail. i recently quit smoking and have been putting onb weight and eating a lot of calories to get my weight up. now when i say i was underweight i mean VERY underweight. if i get my weight up and start taking a multivitamin will my hair ever return to its natural thickness? if so how long will it take? i figure it took me five years to ruin my hair so it will prolly take at least that long to fix it, but im no doctor. also is there any supplements i can take? just to give you a rough idea, my average weight was 140 pounds and im 6 foot. im almost certain this is why my hair is so thin. by the way im not anorexic i just have bad eating habits.please respond.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Welcome...

You said no-one in your family has hairloss? If neither your parents, nor grandparents don't have balding, then its unlikely (though not impossible) for you to have it.

It sounds like you're very malrourished.. probably a good multivitamin, along with plenty of fruits/veg/lean-meat will help you (so no, maccas doesn't count :)). Don't go crazy on the multivitamins (ie the ones that are 1000% RDI) though.. they can actually be toxic, but either way your body just pisses it out.

Hang in there.. might take a good 4-6months before it comes back, there's no fast tracking it.

Actually, go see your doctor - ask for a blood test and he/she will tell you what you need. If the tests return normal, then you probably have male pattern baldness :(

RANT - I don't know why people are so afraid of doctors on this site, always you hear screaming about "where to buy proscar w/o prescription etc etc".. when they're not even sure male pattern baldness is the root cause! Maybe doctors overseas are somewhat untrustworthy? I dunno..