My Story

shutterfly

Reaction score
It has been quite few months I haven't visited this forum, I decided to come back just to share some of my experience.
Before I start, I want to say my case might be special, so it may not apply to everybody here. I am an Asian in early 30s, none of my parents' families has any members with hair loss. I found I was loosing hair about four years ago. It's mostly a diffusive thinning on the top, with more severe symptom on both sides, so it's pretty much a typical male pattern baldness. Starting 2005 I began to take propecia, finasteride 1.25mg/day, rogaine on a regular basis. I even tried Dutaride (I am sure I spell it wrong, you know what I mean), Revivogen....... NO HELP. I could get a handful of hairs during shower, normally 7-8, with more than 10 during some bad days, just in one hand. After shower, I could feel/see hairs falling off as I waited for hair to dry; whenever I pulled on my t-shirt, I could see new hairs fell off on my shoulder; daily hair combing has become a daily nightmare: I could get anywhere from 16-40 hairs in the sink as I combed. I had to use hairspray in order not to reveal my scalp.
The symptom kept getting worse and worse until starting July this year, it all started I didn't feel hairs were being washed off during shower, then I didn't get as many hair in the hand while shampooing; then I found I only got 5-8 hairs during daily combing. I mentioned this to my hair dresser and she started renting about my improvement in hair condition: She told me she could see more hair on my crown area, and baby hairs are growing out on my temporal areas where once became bald. Now it has been two months I have been propecia free (still using rogaine to speed up regrowth) and I feel better and better.
I think I am finally out of it. I only know I started Saw Palmetto (2 pills/day), and a chinese medicine, called (liu wei di huang wan) about 5 months ago. This medicine is supposed to bring back the balance in body's internal excretions (please excuse me for my bad English). So, if you want to ask what cured my hair loss, I would say it's (one of) these two, if they are, after all. I also want to say here there are so many causes of hairloss (I started mine after a major setback in my life.), if your family doesn't have a history of hairloss, and big three doesn't work for you, you might want to try something else. Hope my story might help a couple of folks here.

lazarus

Reaction score
It sounds you like had hair thinning on top and coming out on the sides? I don't know if you went to a doctor, but that sounds like you had telogen effluvium, which is not male pattern baldness.

mich888

Reaction score
I think I am in a similar situation, maybe. I am 23 and also asian. Nobody in my family on both sides is bald. They all have great hair. My hair is falling out like crazy though, and I keep thinking that it's a disease, vitamin deficiency or something, or maybe this is just a phase and my hair will grow back later.

My hair has slowly shed since 2005, but now I can definitely see more scalp. Since I am desperate, I went to the dermatologist, and he told me it was probably male pattern baldness. So, I started on propecia. It's been two weeks so far.

I don't know what to do.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
the chinese med wont do anything to stop your male pattern baldness, your hair might benefit from it if its just a T.E

svarun

Reaction score
Hi shutterfly,

I am also having the same problem.

What is tht chinese medice?.

where to purchase tht?

by

varun

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
shutterfly said:
[...] I only know I started Saw Palmetto (2 pills/day), and a chinese medicine, called (liu wei di huang wan) about 5 months ago. [...]

Hi Shutterfly!

I have a couple of questions:

a) How did you find out about this chinese medicine?

b) Did you talk to your doctor about it?

c) Where did you buy it?

d) How long have you been taking it?

e) Could you please post some photos of your hair?

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys. I'm of Chinese descent also, and can tell you that you should NOT take Chinese contemporary medicine. Not to say there's no merit, but you will be taking unknown quantities of unknown substances.

For example, one popular chinese treatment for curing a baby's incessant crying contains mercury. A lot of these unregulated medicines also contain a lot of heavy metals and lead.

Just two days ago my mom was showing me this cough syrup that someone bought for her from overseas, said it worked for them like a charm. I looked at the ingredients list and found it contained opium. Seriously guys, you need to watch out for these claims. They might end up harming you more than any benefit you'd gain from this.

Stick to what works, guys.

charmer

Reaction score
O no do not get me started on Chinese meds, they are so bad and not worth it at all. I have been through my far share..