My story/Seeking advice

Riegel

Reaction score
Hi. I am 34ys old. Slovakian. The thinning of hair started decently maybe 6 ys ago. Maybe 2 ys ago, it all started to become visible. Crown was fine but a thinned spots developed above temples (I used to wear a baseball cap nearly at all times, and I used to wear it a bit slided backwards, so I believe the thinned spots developed exactly on the places where my cap used to sit on my head and with this cap I also liked to scratch those places which, with restrospective wisdom, did not help I reckon). 1 year ago, all my top to front of the head started to thin rapidly.
This June/July (2014) I realized this has gone all too bad. I looked in the mirror after shower, and you know, these bathroom lamps they just tell you too much truth specially when your hair is wet. I got scared. Really scared.
I started to read everything on internet. I learned that things like minoxidil and finasterid exist. And I acted immediately. I ordered 9M supply of minoxidil 5% topical and started my treatment in the beginning of August. Since then, I have been duly applying it 2 times a day. In September, still scared as there were no results yet, I visited my doctor and asked her if I could get finasterid prescription, she said she does not trust the drug, so later that day, I ordered it without prescription at some Indian website and 2 weeks later a package arrived from Russia (globalization:)). 1mg tablets 12 month supply. So now, at the beginning of Dec I have been 4 months on Minoxidil and 2 and half month on finasteride (started with 1mg and now down to 0.5-0.33 mg per day- depends how skillfully I cut the pill with my teeth, I dont bother to cut the pill precisely with knife).
RESULTS: Perfect. Just cant believe this. No thinned spots. When wet, hair cover nearly all head. I even started to apply gel again to style my hair. Now there is hair to be styled! Family and co-workers comment on my hair (they never commented when it thinned, they wanted to be nice to me probably:))) I am soo happy.
WHY I WRITE: I am careful with my hapiness and wish to guard it. I would like to ask you for advice. I am afraid the effectiveness of the treatment will decrease gradually over months/years, there are stories like this on this forum. Would you think if I kick Finasterid completely out at this stage, it would be a good or bad decision? It may be good because I could restart finasterid let's say in 2 years or even later, in 4 years, and my hair would react to it, as if to a new drug. I believe at this moment most of hair I have regrown are there thanks to minoxidil. With Finasterid I was careful, and not only lowered the dosage, but often skipped it altogether. But it may be also bad decision, because some people here say that without finasterid the balding process continues to carry on and minoxidil only artificially keeps those hair, which are supposed to be dead, on your head. The other solution for scaling back, is to stop using 5 % minoxidil and start using 2%. Again with objective to re-start application of the stronger variety in couple of years.

I fully trust both drugs, what they have achieved with me is just incredible. I hope I can find the best mode into many years that await me. So questions are clear:
1. Should I scale back or keep my fight against balding at full strenght?
2. If rather scale back, should I cut on Finasterid or start using weaker minoxidil?

What you think? Long term results is what counts!

Thank you in advance for your comments.
Cheers,
Martin from Slovakia