My Story - 3,000 Grafts UK (Norwood = 4)

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,.

New member here. I'm 46 years old and have had a receded hair line since I was 16 years old.

And while I thought I'd be bald by 20, it turned out my family hairline seems to stagnate at that point. I've spent the last 3 decades listening to people telling me "I'm going bald", which of course never happened. Grey, yes - bald, well not so much. Just that dreaded "M" shaped hairline and "egg in the nest" at the back!

I'd looked into transplants for years. Propecia, Rogaine etc. I even very nearly went down the FUT route about 15 years ago. Then - out of nowhere I just made peace with having a crew cut or No.2 all over for the rest of my life.

Shortly after leaving the Forces however, something changed. I started taking more of an interest in investing in myself. Going on holidays 3 or 4 times a year. Then Covid took over the world.

What to do?

My partner then suggested, "why don't you get your hair done?". Now she met me as I was, so to her it made no difference. But with nowhere to go abroad to and lots of time on my hands (working from home 50% of the time) I booked 2 weeks off in August this year and said, "why the hell not?".

The thought of straightening out that dreaded "M" shape at long last was just too good an opportunity to pass up.

So I booked in at the HGC Romford and I'm now 3 months in. I thought I'd share with anyone who's interested how I've faired so far. I started somewhere between a 4 and 5 on the Norwood Scale and had 3,000 grafts, although the doctor said a lot of these were single hairs (bit disappointing, that).

Beyond that, I've kept a video diary and uploaded a few vids so far to YouTube (although I'm no expert - I have a smart phone and a £200 laptop!)

I'll try and add a link to my vids once the Site allows me to do so - if you're interested in comparing notes. I've certainly found others' advice useful and continue to do so.

Also please feel free to ask any questions as I'll most certainly be asking a few myself since this is when the new hair is supposed to start sprouting... Exciting times :)

Kind regards,
J

Last edited:
Reactions: Dar

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
At 3 months, I'm now at the "itchy point" and while the discomfort has gone from the donor area (what felt like minor sunburn) the recipient area is often quite itchy.

I'm not sure if this is because of the numbness finally beginning to subside - or a result of new hair pushing through - or a combination of both?

Has anyone else had similar?

Before:
IMG_20211004_160425.jpg

After:
IMG20211029145149_resize_70.jpg

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been uploading my journey on my YouTube channel for anyone who's currently had surgery and would like to compare notes...

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had a haircut at the weekend...

Really starting to thicken up a bit now.

3 months:

IMG20211112164203_compress45.jpg

4½ months:

IMG20211228143756_compress34.jpg

6 months:

IMG20220130094037_compress86.jpg

I'll be posting my 6 month vid update on Thursday / Friday :)

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
After a bit of a muddle and loss of footage, I finally got it re-shot and edited.

The perils of being an amateur YouTuber...!

Something a bit different for my 6 month update - 10 things I'd suggest worth consideration before getting a hair transplant:

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've got a new thing...

Walking past shop windows and seeing a hairy bloke staring back at me!

Don't think I'm ever gonna get bored of this :)

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 months ago:

IMG20211112164203_compress45.jpg

Day 197 - 6½ months in

IMG20220219154000_compress13.jpg

Hopefully will continue to thicken up.

Not a bad result for 3,000 grafts

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm might have thought I'd have had a least one response in the last 6 months.

Is this normal for this forum...?
Pretty much, trust me it’s a good thing you got no responses. Most members here just troll and create a shitfest hehe, there is kind of fun in that

hair restoration network is a better more professional forum

Anyway, your results are stellar. Never heard of the clinic

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This forum focuses mostly on medication hair loss reversal, most people (for some reason) is against Hair Transplants in here. I would suggest posting in a forum like hairestorationetwork which is focused on hair transplants instead. GL in your journey ser

JesterRIP

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments... I've just uploaded a new vid but I'll take your advice and check out this Hair Restoration Network :)

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments... I've just uploaded a new vid but I'll take your advice and check out this Hair Restoration Network :)

Fair warning though, that forum is sponsored by many hair transplant surgeons and they don’t allow criticism of their sponsored surgeons, such posts are removed and users banned. Also some users held in high regard on that forum get free surgeries by clinics.

So decide for yourself and not blindly take what the forum suggests. Their users are more hair transplant focused so the users input is valuable rather than the administration

olowshinenine

Reaction score
Hi Question about your procedure. Do you have to be on finasteride / min for the doctor to work on you? Also if you do not use those drugs after a FUE procedure will you lose the transplanted hair?

Chromeo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Question about your procedure. Do you have to be on finasteride / min for the doctor to work on you? Also if you do not use those drugs after a FUE procedure will you lose the transplanted hair?
Transplanted hair is DHT resistant so no. Meds are to keep native hair / maximise donor.

Dar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm might have thought I'd have had a least one response in the last 6 months.

Is this normal for this forum...?
Haha. Yeah you would think. As many said there is a lot of negativity around here.Your results look great.