My story (23 years old) - Losing a lot of hair

Duke Flauros

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness when I was 20-21 years. Since then I started oral finasteride 1 mg. After a few months, I wanted something more and my dermatologist prescribed minoxidil 5% with 17-alpha-estradiol. I used it for almost a year (it was very good), but I got a "puffy face", dark circles under my eyes and other bad stuff. I ceased to use it and I continued with oral finasteride. It was pretty good for awhile.

In the last few months I've noticed a sharp drop in libido, mental focus and memory. So I interrupted the use of finasteride on August and I started using the antidepressant bupropion (Wellbutrin) for medical reasons. I knew that the baldness would comeback stronger, but my hair began to fall in a pattern that never happened before. My problem were always been the hairline, but now the center of my scalp began to thinning more and more. Capillary density is much lower than ever before

I'm currently using ketoconazole shampoo and I started topical finasteride (0,5%), 17- alpha-estradiol and VEGF factor. However I think I will go back with minoxidil.

My grandfather from my mother side is bald, but according to her, he only started to lose hair when he was very old. Maybe it was the stress that I lived trying to be accept in a college, with the Bachelor itself and the few hours of sleep (5-4) that triggered the disease earlier.

What do you guys think about it? Do I have a good or bad prognosis? Could I get density back? And what about the hairline? Some recovery or it's gone forever? Should I expect regrowth in general?

I have curly hair and I relaxed it with ammonium thioglycolate, and the situation got really worse. There are some pictures on my ImageShare profile:

https://imageshack.com/user/Duke_Valefor

Thank you.