My sad Life - What do I need?

sl

Established Member
Reaction score
All my life I have had problems with acne. Now finally that I have controlled that. NOw in my sad life I am seeing my hair falling out, whenever I shower. When I wake up I see lots of hair all over the bed. I am only 22 :( I havent seen any baldness yet, just thinning.

I have bought:
Nizoral shampoo
Proscar

What else do I need? I want to slow the hair loss and maybe even thickin what I have.

Thanks for any help.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
sl said:
What else do I need?

It isn't clear whether you have seen a dermatologist or not. I realize I'm a broken record in saying this, but you need to get labs done as a preliminary assessment. male pattern baldness is easy to diagnose; it is so common, any person can say with almost total certainty what it is, just by looking. But the underlying cause needs to be determined. What if you have a thyroid problem? A lab will help you to find out.

A medical history will also help to determine whether you have taken any medications that may have unduly affected you. I don't know much about acne medicines, but it is an avenue you may need to look down.

Please see a physician as a first step. And make sure the guy explains his diagnosis, answers all of your questions, and treats you with compassion. There are too many of these "mill" doctors around. Souless $hitheads I'd like to kick in the teeth.

Finally, please be sure to fill in your regimen button in your profile.

I feel for you. You are a young man who seems to have conquered one problem, only to be challneged by another. You have my very best wishes.

sl

Established Member
Reaction score
Thankyou soo much Weepy, I appreciate your kind words and support. As I live in the UK I went to see the GP in regards to this, and he said dont need to see the dermotologists. So he did not refer me to one. I have once visited the derms and that was only for my acne.

The doctor believes that my hair loss is caused by DHT on my scalp. I was adviced to use proscar from some friends to help this. And also Nizoral Shampoo. I want to use minixodil, but i am reading too much scarey stories on it, that it actually sheds off more hair in the first 4 months or so.

I just dont want to lose my before I even get married. Its hard enough for me to try to get a gf with my hair, but without any hair I guess I would never get married. :(

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
sl said:
The doctor believes that my hair loss is caused by DHT on my scalp. I was adviced to use proscar from some friends to help this. And also Nizoral Shampoo. I want to use minixodil, but i am reading too much scarey stories on it, that it actually sheds off more hair in the first 4 months or so.

A couple of things. A doctor who tells you it's DHT in the scalp has just won the Master Of The Obvious award. He has not done -- and may not be interested in doing -- his homework on YOU. Has he done a blood test? I simply believe you have to cover all your bases. You have to know what's going on.

e.g., It is important to get a liver test. finasteride is extensively metabolized in the liver. But none of these a$$hole docs seem to consider this when they hand off that prescription. I'm not saying this to alarm you; in fact, in most healthy men, I'm sure it's a none issue. But what I'm trying to say is that I question whether any of these doctors have an interest in our health.

Now, I have to ask, because it wasn't clear: It was your friends who told you to take proscar -- and not your doctor?!? He told you its DHT in the scalp, but didn't bother to do anyting else? Explain anything to you? What to take? What to expect? It may indeed be a waste of money and time to see a derm. But if this "physican" can't be bothered to talk with you, then I don't see what the point in seeing and paying HIM.

With regard to minoxidil -- I have read somewhere (Can't remember where) that a significant minority respond to minoxidil by shedding. I myself am going through this. If it happens to you, it is normal. Force yourself to be patient. I know I am trying, and it gets difficult at times. Post more here, and we'll all try to help. But be careful. This is an Internet forum; and we're not physicians. There is a lot of good information here. But when it comes time to make a decision -- where Internet advice is concerned -- proceed with caution.

Britannia

Reaction score
sl said:
Its hard enough for me to try to get a gf with my hair, but without any hair I guess I would never get married. :(

With that attitude your right you probably wont find a girl.

Britannia

Reaction score
sl said:
The doctor believes that my hair loss is caused by DHT on my scalp.

Was your Dr Sherlock Holmes? :lol:

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
sl said:
All my life I have had problems with acne. Now finally that I have controlled that. NOw in my sad life I am seeing my hair falling out, whenever I shower. When I wake up I see lots of hair all over the bed. I am only 22 :( I havent seen any baldness yet, just thinning.

I have bought:
Nizoral shampoo
Proscar

What else do I need? I want to slow the hair loss and maybe even thickin what I have.

Thanks for any help.

If I were you I would continue the treatment, but put away maybe 50-300 dollars every month for a hair transplant in the next few years, unless of course you can afford to just go out and have one.. You may want to also try minoxidil, but I personally can't stand the stuff.

JT

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
Thomas said:
sl said:

I have bought:
Nizoral shampoo
Proscar

Thanks for any help.

Agreed... Thransplants are the only reall answer. It will get you your hair back, it's expensinve though. I am thinking of going for my 3rd procedure. Just don't want to go to Bosley again and am in search of a different doctor.

If I were you I would continue the treatment, but put away maybe 50-300 dollars every month for a hair transplant in the next few years, unless of course you can afford to just go out and have one.. You may want to also try minoxidil, but I personally can't stand the stuff.

JT

jeffsss

Reaction score
I feel your pain man. I'm 26..

I can now grow a shaggy beard. I'm slowly thinning, yet i still have acne breakouts???

it sucks...

my advise is to get a tan. seriously. while many people will disagree with me, tanning is better than any perscription any derm has written me for acne.

it drys up your skin, hides blemishes all in one.

oh, and getting on proscar.. and nizoral was the right move for your male pattern baldness