My Opinion of Rogaine Topical Aerosal (FOAM)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Having just now received the Rogaine package, and prior to my application of Dr. Lee's PPG-Free minoxidil, I used a few minutes this morning to explore the Rogaine Foam.

First, having depressed the applicator, I received about a tablespoon of the foam into my hand... This immediately melted within a matter of seconds.

I washed my hands with very cold water, then proceded with applying a tablespoon of foam into my left hand, again.

This time, the foam did not melt.

Second, by scooping a fair amount of foam into my right index finger, I apply the foam to my hairline and temples... Within a matter of 2 or 3 seconds, the foam had absorbed... Within another 5 seconds, the solution had dried.

Third... this is where the foam becomes a little difficult. Having tried empyting a tablespoon into my hand, my next thought was to apply the foam directly to the scalp. BIG mistake.

The foam comes out with such pressure that, with hardly any pressure applied to the applicator, the amount of minoxidil coming out will be more than needed for any one spot.

Simply, with the foam solution, you must apply it to your hand, then rub it into your hair.

But, with practice and diligence, you may be capable of delivering it straight to the scalp.

Lastly, I'd like to add that the foam has my total approval. There's no itching or residue, leaving my hair very manageable... a HUGE plus, in my book.

The scent is typical of Rogaine... an awkward smell of alcohol, that you eventually get used to and start to like.

In comparison to liquid, this foam is so much better in every aspect, except that direct application to scalp is more difficult with the foam, as opposed to a plastic applicator for liquid minoxidil solutions.

I totally approve of the foam, and suggest that when your minoxidil supply depletes to purchase some of it.

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk thanks for your review! That's exactly what I've been looking for! Sounds goooood

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Excellent review...and a great sales job too!

I'll be obtaining some based on the above.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aplunk,
you probably meant low ppg minoxidil. Dr. Lee sells ppg free minoxidil which never dries[/list]

Cassin

Reaction score
Interesting.

What if you sprayed the foam into the cap and then used the dropper to suck it up and then used the applicater to apply the roagine?

Sounds like a hassle but it wouldn't be.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
techprof said:
aplunk,
you probably meant low ppg minoxidil. Dr. Lee sells ppg free minoxidil which never dries[/list]

No, I just looked at my PPG-Free minoxidil. It clearly indicates that there is no PPG in it. The ingredients list: Minoxidil (50mg), ethyl alcohol; glycerin. It dries within a minute.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Interesting.

What if you sprayed the foam into the cap and then used the dropper to suck it up and then used the applicater to apply the roagine?

In my opinion, that wouldn't work too well. I believe the minoxidil is delivered via the foam for a reason.

If it were delivered just as a liquid, then it would need the PPG in it.

What do you think?

Cassin

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
techprof said:
aplunk,

No, I just looked at my PPG-Free minoxidil. It clearly indicates that there is no PPG in it. The ingredients list: Minoxidil (50mg), ethyl alcohol; glycerin. It dries within a minute.

I really think you have the wrong item? I have always heard that the glycerin takes forever to dry.

Item #500 drives VERY fast.

Cassin

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Cassin said:
Interesting.

In my opinion, that wouldn't work too well. I believe the minoxidil is delivered via the foam for a reason.

If it were delivered just as a liquid, then it would need the PPG in it.

What do you think?

You probably right. I get mine in the mail tomorrow or Friday.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'd also like to add, in my personal opinion, that I've observed a great difference between the effect of Rogaine Foam and Rogaine on my scalp.

Without the irritation and scalp tenderness caused by liquid minoxidil, I've felt a striking difference in scalp freedom.

I feel like I can switch to softer shampoos that aren't as harsh on the hair and scalp, like Nizoral.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Aplunk1 said:
techprof said:
aplunk,

I really think you have the wrong item? I have always heard that the glycerin takes forever to dry.

Item #500 drives VERY fast.

No, guys, please. Let's not turn this into a discussion about the validity of my products. I do, indeed, have "Minoxidil without Propylene Glycol - 5% Solution".

There's no PPG in it, only glycerine, and it dries within a minute.

Cassin

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
No, guys, please. Let's not turn this into a discussion about the validity of my products. I do, indeed, have "Minoxidil without Propylene Glycol - 5% Solution".

I just got my products confused.

Anyway, looking forward to trying the foam. Excellent update.

beaner

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Aplunk1 said:

I just got my products confused.

Anyway, looking forward to trying the foam. Excellent update.

I don't think you're confused Cassin. I've been using a bottle of Lee's PPG free minoxidil with glycerin and it leaves my hair greasy as hell with a sticky residue on my scalp.....nothing like his regular minoxidil. I think it's probably more a matter of personal opinion and very doubtful a discussion on the validity of products.