My experiment with Dr. Lees 2% topical spironolactone

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, but I think its important enough to repost for a better chance that it will be seen.

I did my own experiment with dr. lees 2% spironolactone. On paper, it should be the best agent on the market for male pattern baldness, so I was highly motivated to see if it translated into actual practice.

I compared 5% minoxidil to 2% spironolactone

I used topical minoxidil for 3 months as a single agent. I could tell right away that I was losing less hair. After 3 months I could not see that I had not grown much hair, but had not lost any either.

About a year later, and after stopping minoxidil for about that period of time, I started applying the spironolactone 1X per day. My hair loss didnt appear to slow, which was a concern, but i stuck with it. After 2.5 months I started noticing thousands pigmented hairs growing all over my scalp.

The results were so dramatic that when the girl who cuts my hair noticed I saw her eyes literally bug out, as she kept looked looking at my hair closer and closer. I said "what, what are you looking at," knowing full well that she was looking at the new hair growth. And she said, "did you know that you have thousands of tiny hairs growing all over your scalp, mostly in the crown?" I tried to look surprised, not wanting to get into my hair loss adventures, and told her, "hmm, it must be the new multi-vitamins I had been taking"...haha

Conclusion: (In My Case)

Rogaine was superior for shedding. Topical spironolactone is as effective, or more effective than propecia, but does not do much for shedding. Topical spironolactone is more effective for hair regrowth than Rogaine.

This is for Dr. Lees 2% spironolactone using alcohol as the vehicle. I'm 35, Norwood 1--(maintained through treatments), started losing hair at 19.

Becks

Reaction score
Starting Loosing it at 19 and a noorwood 1 at 35 ??? how did you manage this...this is great !

Could you post your regime when you where 19 ???

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Since there were no treatments at the time, and I was so damn depressed, I started long distance running. I started running 3-5 miles a day 5 times a week. Doing this essentially cured my depression, and my hair stopped falling out and began to grow back. Even though I knew running had halted my hair loss, it wasn't until recently that scientific studies have been published showing that long distance running can lower testosterone by 70%. I still run, but not as much, so i've started using the spironolactone, which as I indicated grew back the hair that I lost using no treatments except running.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Or... Your hairline just became mature and you mistook it for balding. Realistically, I think that's much more likely. I honestly don't believe that running could completely halt hairloss. In conjunction with treatments it may help, but it would not be able to have that potent of an effect by itself.

Andrew

Established Member
Reaction score
spironolactone +emu oil

Dear JesusFreak,

I was thinking if it is ok to mix spironolactone with emu oil...

i wanna try it out.... but afraid of the systematic absorbtion

Stokes

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a mate thats a runner, he is losing his hair like the rest of us.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Realistically, I think that's much more likely. I honestly don't believe that running could completely halt hairloss.

Let me see. My dad and his brother are completely bald. My mothers brothers are bald, and my sister is losing her hair. Yes, I probably never did suffer from male pattern baldness. Come to think of it, I believe hair loss may be a figment of my imagination. I'm sorry, but that's completely asinine.

Why is it that when some one is cure of say like "incurable cancer" there is always some wingnut whispering in the background that the person never really had it to begin with?

The first step is believing that it can happen. By all the "hopeless" cases out there I shouldnt be surprised that this step is seldom taken.

HairyN

Established Member
Reaction score
hey freak...do you keep your spironolactone in the fridge when you arent using it? and apply it straight out of the fridge?

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been running for almost 4 years now and I've lost plenty in that time. But I have heard it lowers testosterone as well as improving blood flow to the scalp. Exercise has got to be good for the hair.

I ran out of emu oil and haven't ordered anymore yet but I use to apply it after spironolactone and folligen, it's suppose to help them absorb better.

G

JesusFreak said:
I started running 3-5 miles a day 5 times a week. Doing this essentially cured my depression, and my hair stopped falling out and began to grow back. Even though I knew running had halted my hair loss, it wasn't until recently that scientific studies have been published showing that long distance running can lower testosterone by 70%.

I think you guys are missing that he ran 3-5 miles a day! That has got to do something to the body. I too am a bit skeptical, but i can't deny it unless i actually tried it. I could do maybe a mile a day...but 5miles! Hell NO.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
I began running shortly after my hair loss started, so just like any treatment early intervention is an important factor. If you have a big bald spot in the back of your head don't expect it to fill in through running alone. I feel that running provided a protective factor which has held my male pattern baldness at bay. It's also interesting to note that I have much less body hair than my brother and father. If you notice, distance runners have significantly less body hair. DHT + Genetics = Body Hair + male pattern baldness

There is also a ton of research which shows running works to reduce depression and anxiety, both of which are factors in exacerbating hair loss. A positive attitude can give what translates to a reverse placebo effect with regard to hair loss.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Let me see. My dad and his brother are completely bald. My mothers brothers are bald, and my sister is losing her hair. Yes, I probably never did suffer from male pattern baldness. Come to think of it, I believe hair loss may be a figment of my imagination. I'm sorry, but that's completely asinine.

Why is it that when some one is cure of say like "incurable cancer" there is always some wingnut whispering in the background that the person never really had it to begin with?

The first step is believing that it can happen. By all the "hopeless" cases out there I shouldnt be surprised that this step is seldom taken.

JesusFreak: I'm sorry It wasn't my intention to make my post so accusatory. I just see so many people post pictures claiming to be Norwood 2's when in reality they just have a mature hairline. Also, since you stated that you began running right around the time you noticed recession I thought it was a possibility that your cessation of balding was a result of you having a mature hairline not running. I'm just having a tough time convincing myself that running alone could do the trick. Maybe i'm such a pessimist because I'm still balding after using minoxidil, proscar, folligen, nizoral and a scalp exercise.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, i didn't mean to get snippy, but your response does insinuate that I must be a nutcase. I mean, if someone falsely believed they were suffering from MBP for 15 years, and had gone through enormous emotional turmoil as a result, then by definition this guy would have to be some kind of psychopath.

To be fair, my male pattern baldness is more of a diffuse thinning. So, the norwood scale is a little harder to apply in my case.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I can see how significant long distance running might be helpful for some people's male pattern baldness. I buy into the fact that running might lower testosterone but even assuming that, there is still a problem. Lowering testosterone, in and of itself, might not help some who suffer from male pattern baldness. Even with low testosterone levels, if a person has a high level of the enzyme in the blood that converts testosterone into DHT, then male pattern baldness will continue regardless of testosterone levels in the blood. The body is a self-regulating system that tends to want to keep hormonal levels steady. However, for those who are suffering male pattern baldness because high test levels are creating high 5-ar enzyme levels, running to reduce test might really be a big help.

Irregardless of this, I wholeheartedly agree with J-Freak's supposition that exercise in general is beneficial. It is beneficial, and will help you exponentially not only with the physics of male pattern baldness but also with improving the mindset you have while you combat it.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
JesusFreak....how much does spironolactone set you back a month? I'm seriously thinking of going topical after dropping oral finasteride and I'm pretty set on spironolactone.

I know Dr Lees is $20 a bottle for 60ml and on the site it says apply 1-2ml. I'm just wondering how much you apply and how many times.

You got the best avatar here btw.

JesusFreak

Established Member
Reaction score
The best part of topical 2% spironolactone is the cost, and live i said it works as well for me as the best results ive seen for propecia. It takes me about 5 months to go through a single bottle. I apply it 1X/day. The spironolactone comes with a dabber, and I dab my scalp about 5 times with each application.

Propecia ~ $50/month

spironolactone ~ $5/month