My Experience with Treatment Options Including Acell Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)

Jimcas

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm completely new to this site. 27 year old struggling with receding hairline and sever thinning on the crown area.
Noticeable hair loss has been going on for about 5 years now, and I haven't seen any improvement or cessation of hair loss after using 5% Minoxidil for 12 months, (only a steady progression to going bald).

I've also been using the laser comb for over a year (yes I know it doesn't work but I thought I'd give it a go anyway). I took drastic measures and flew across the country to see the best Dr. providing Acell PRP injection (trust me I thoroughly researched all the Acell PRP Dr.s), paid a huge sum of money and about 6 months later I can honestly say that my hair is probably in the worst state that it's ever been.

I would say that I don't recommend this treatment; don't get me wrong, I'm sure all the studies are very well intentioned and all, but in my opinion, Acell PRP probably works for healing or regrowing hair caused by damage to the follicle from factors OTHER than DHT - probably a good option for women to use (for example); I'm not a medical professional, so this is just uneducated conjecture based on my own experience.

I'm thinking of Finaseride at this point, but I've heard some horror stories - they seem comparatively rare to the users who have no issues but I'm worried about hormonal changes that will affect my body (elevated estrogen levels etc)., as I suspect that I have testosterone levels on the lower side to begin with, as well as possible depression and anxiety issues (I already have those lol).

I'm going to continue with Minoxidil and laser comb (in addition to the Nizoral shampoo I use 3x a week).

Thought I'd share my story -

Any comments or questions are welcome!

effyouprostate

Reaction score
Hi Jim, I would like to know a few things about your hair and lifestyle. Do you happen to exercise on a frequent basis and are you at a healthy weight with a good diet? Can you recall being in stressful situations that may have impacted your hair in the past or present time? Have you noticed any signs or a sensation on your scalp when hair loss has spiked such a burning, tingling or itching feeling? Do you what triggers these symptoms or has your hair loss been persistent with noticeable hair falling out often? I think if your hair loss reaches a stage that it is clearly noticable then its worth a shot to try finasteride. I too suffer from anxiety and depression in stints and it doesn't change much when your on finasteride (been on it since april/may) but in my case i've always had high testosterone levels as I always have a lot of energy and a high libido and finasteride inversely made this situation worse. I am trying now to find the right dosage to take as a 1mg dose was too much for me and I feel it had a negative effect on my hair. If I were you, I would start off at a low dose of finasteride (0.5mg) and see how your body reacts but I also wouldn't go on it immediately until your hair looks like **** and you have exhausted your other options. Expect that you might feel drowsy and lethargic at times as your hormones take time to adjust. I also would recommend lemon balm oil or Bach's Flower remedy to relieve your anxiety and depression as it is a natural health product that calms you down. Hang in there man and keep up with your regime and let us know if you notice any results in the future. If not, I emphasize that you keep changing your regime until you find one that works but give it adequate time. Unfortunately, hair growth takes a hell of a long time at 1.25cm a month. Best of luck!

Jimcas

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions, yes I'm under a lot of stress at work (finance) working 10-12 hour days usually so by default this doesn't give me a lot of time to work out or eat healthy. But I haven't had really any of the other side effects you mentioned (tingling or itching). I think I'll try the finasteride. it's interesting how it actually had an opposite side effect for you (more energy and libido) - have you seen results from it yet?

I'm on 5-HTP for the anxiety and depression thing, it's been working pretty well for me; I'll try the remedy you suggested as well.

Thanks,

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Jimcas. I work in finance too and it is a rare day (other than the weekends) that I work less than 12 hours. The only way I've been able to cope well is to (1) make time to work out 3-4x a week, and (2) eat healthy. I'm guessing you're eating out a lot which makes it harder, but if you can find healthy restaurants or at least places with some healthy choices, it'll go a long way in helping you feel better.

melinda

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

and about 6 months later I can honestly say that my hair is probably in the worst state that it's ever been.

I would say that I don't recommend this treatment; don't get me wrong, I'm sure all the studies are very well intentioned and all, but in my opinion, Acell PRP probably works for healing or regrowing hair caused by damage to the follicle from factors OTHER than DHT - probably a good option for women to use (for example);

Any comments or questions are welcome!

Okay, you have me concerned. I'm scheduled for this treatment tomorrow with Dr. Cooley in Charlotte.

Do you attribute the treatment as the cause for your hair being "in the worst state that it's ever been" ?