My BAD Nizoral experience.

Rutger Hauer

Reaction score
I have used Minoxidil for a few years. I started 2 months ago using Nizoral 2% twice a week, having it on my head for about 4-5 minutes each time. After a month I started to lose hair, I don't know if it was a shed. I endured a month using nizoral and shedding, but one day my head itched SO MUCH most of the day that I decided that it must be wrong. (I had no itching before nizoral).

I don't know if it was shedding or not.

After 10 days hair stopped falling so much. And 15 days later I started using it again but once a week, for 3 minutes. This is my 2nd week doing that, and it seems ok. Not much itch, not much hair falling.

After all of this, my frontal line has receded a bit and the hair is thinner.

I don't know if it will come back stronger or at least as it used to be after a few months or not.
That's my story.

HairyBerry

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using nizoral for a month and as far as I can tell, my shedding did not increase, but I also felt increased itchiness, seems to be going away now after using it 9 times.. my hair seems thinner too but I don't think it's from nizoral or is it? I'd like to hear from other people as well..

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
u should be on finasteride or dutasteride. minoxidil and Nizoral alone will do nothing to stop or slow your hair loss.

Rutger Hauer

Reaction score
Nah, thanks. I appreciate my penis. :lol:

I use minoxidil, nizoral and Actifol (a saw palmetto topical lotion).

I don't want to risk ANY side effects, and much less the potential 20 year from now propecia side effects.
Thanks for your imput though. :)

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
the first week i started nizoral, no hair fell from my scalp in the drain or on the pillow. it was crazy, after that shedding begin again

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rutger Hauer said:

I don't want to risk ANY side effects, and much less the potential 20 year from now propecia side effects.

You should at least give it a try. Sides are blown way out of proportion bro.

Rutger Hauer

Reaction score
Alright, I used to have NO scalp problems before using Nizoral.

I stopped using it for 2 weeks due to the intense itch, and I have used it only once a week for two weeks (only 3 minutes on the scalp), and today my scalp itched a bit. (After 6 days of not using it! - It was due tomorrow).

Conclusion: nizoral sucks for people who don't have scalp problems from the start. It can even cause them! I got itch and flaking after 6 days without using it, and I didn't have that when I didn't use nizoral.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Rutger Hauer said:
Alright, I used to have NO scalp problems before using Nizoral.

I stopped using it for 2 weeks due to the intense itch, and I have used it only once a week for two weeks (only 3 minutes on the scalp), and today my scalp itched a bit. (After 6 days of not using it! - It was due tomorrow).

Conclusion: nizoral sucks for people who don't have scalp problems from the start. It can even cause them! I got itch and flaking after 6 days without using it, and I didn't have that when I didn't use nizoral.

If read that nizoral destroys DHT in the scalp though.. I otherwise don't have dandruff, but I only use nizoral maybe 3x a month really.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I got acne from using nizoral, never had acne in my life before so that's how I know. I'm persisting with it though as I'd rather have hair and acne than no hair and no acne.

Christoff

Reaction score
Rutger Hauer said:

I'm 3 months into it and I have not had ONE ounce of side-effects. I'm 20 for the record.

As for nizoral. I don't think you're supposed to leave it on? I thought it was just wash twice?

chino20

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude nizoral f**ks me about aswell, it seems to increase my shed and give me acne on my scalp, as well as drying out my hair. I've reduced down to the 1% version, but I'm currently looking into an alternative to nizoral that will have the same benefits but not be quite so crap for me. Any ideas? I'm thinking piroctone olamine is the way to go...

baldstudent

Reaction score
Nizoral didn't do anything for me. Now, I'm sticking to the trials and I use T-GEL everyday followed with a conditioner and thickening shampoo.

Rutger Hauer

Reaction score
I report again: :)

I have been using Nizoral once a week for a month and a half or so, leaving it only about 2-3 minutes on the scalp each time.

I still have no itch, and the shed continues to be stopped.
But no regrowth of the shed hair. My hairline is still not as good as before I started with Nizoral.

I am crossing my fingers: If in new years eve my hair is still this way, I can officially say that nizoral didn't help me, and that it actually made it worse.