My 3 month review.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi guyz,
Its been a bit more than 3 months, I started on Minoxidil 5% and Nizoral 1%.
I am basically a NW2.5 with a bit diffused thinning on top. Crown is pretty much intact.
My minoxidil application has been mainly concentrated on the hair line, bald temples and the remaining hair between the temples.
Last night i took a shaving mirror and very closely examined my hairline in strong bathroom light...
god damn...1000's of vellous very tiny hairs have sprouted in the bald temple areas and also 1 cm downwards in the middle.
I was imagining...if all these stand up like other normal hairs..i will get back my 12 y.o hair line.
What do you guys think, is Minoxidil working for me and what to expect from now onwards with Minoxidil?
Thanks

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
how do you know that the hairs are new ones they could be ones on the way out and have been there for years and you only could see them becouse of the bright light and mirror

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Those are the signs that minoxidil is working for you. I think the logic is, if you are growing those little vellus hairs, then minoxidil does indeed promote hair growth for you. The least you will see is thickening of the hairs that are already on your head- an overall thickening of hair. Stick with the minoxidil. You will see greater effects in the months to come.

But use propecia as well.

ix

Established Member
Reaction score
i was having a bad shed on finasteride a few times but everything seems fine now and i'm on month 7 or 8...my hair has grown back . stick with the finasteride. in the long run you'll be happy. also apply minoxidil twice a day. i actually apply it at night and also wake up at 3 in the morning and apply it again so i can wash it out with t gel before i go to work. it's more convenient for me so i can apply it twice a day and still go out any time of the day without minoxidil on my scalp. i applied it once a day a while ago but i can tell you right now, applying it twice a day has made my hair a lot better.

asolof

Established Member
Reaction score
Nexus81,

That is the way it is working for me as well. I actually saw regrowth of tiny vellus hairs within days of starting minoxidil, but I was looking extremely closely for it. Now, 2 months into the treatment, there are a few think black terminal hairs within a much longer woolly bed of vellus hair. The villlous hair is very dense. It continues to grow very slowly. More very thin black terminal hairs are developing within it as time goes on. The net cosmetic effect of this so far is not zero, but minimal. Like you, I hope, within time, a lot of THICK terminal hairs will develop. One thick hair has so much more cosmetic effect than a bunch of very thin hairs.

Molecular Help

Established Member
Reaction score
asolof said:
One thick hair has so much more cosmetic effect than a bunch of very thin hairs.

You're either high or bald if one hair makes a cosmetic difference for you!

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The only time one hair makes a difference is if its coming out of your nose

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I too have seen those little hairs starting to bud :)

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
Will applying minoxidil to the sides of the temple or where hair is significantly lost on the hairline promote hair growth there?

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
how do you know that the hairs are new ones they could be ones on the way out and have been there for years and you only could see them becouse of the bright light and mirror

I am pretty sure kiwi1973 that these hairs were not there. The bald temple area has been pretty much bald for a long time. I have examined it closely many times before starting my minoxidil and got upset seeing the forehead of doom.

Those are the signs that minoxidil is working for you. I think the logic is, if you are growing those little vellus hairs, then minoxidil does indeed promote hair growth for you. The least you will see is thickening of the hairs that are already on your head- an overall thickening of hair. Stick with the minoxidil. You will see greater effects in the months to come.

Thanks for your views elguapo.... :)

But use propecia as well.

I thought I should stick to Minoxidil for atleast 6 months before adding on anything to the regimen. I know hairloss battle cannot be won without an Anti-DHT agent.

i was having a bad shed on finasteride a few times but everything seems fine now and i'm on month 7 or 8...my hair has grown back . stick with the finasteride. in the long run you'll be happy. also apply minoxidil twice a day. i actually apply it at night and also wake up at 3 in the morning and apply it again so i can wash it out with t gel before i go to work. it's more convenient for me so i can apply it twice a day and still go out any time of the day without minoxidil on my scalp. i applied it once a day a while ago but i can tell you right now, applying it twice a day has made my hair a lot better.

:shock: 10pm and 3 am..minoxidil application...man i can never wake at 3 in the night and apply it. In any case its not advisable to just apply minoxidil and sleep...you need to let it dry which takes atleast half an hr. But if its working for you...no worries... :)

take some MSM so your hair would grow faster

Where can i buy MSM bro...health food stores??? I am from Aus...FYI

Nexus81,

That is the way it is working for me as well. I actually saw regrowth of tiny vellus hairs within days of starting minoxidil, but I was looking extremely closely for it. Now, 2 months into the treatment, there are a few think black terminal hairs within a much longer woolly bed of vellus hair. The villlous hair is very dense. It continues to grow very slowly. More very thin black terminal hairs are developing within it as time goes on. The net cosmetic effect of this so far is not zero, but minimal. Like you, I hope, within time, a lot of THICK terminal hairs will develop. One thick hair has so much more cosmetic effect than a bunch of very thin hairs.

The net cosmetic effect of vellous hairs is still zero for me. I think i got vellous growth on left temple after 1st month. I think the right temple has recently only sprouted these vellous hairs...I hope they stand up like urs..thanks for your input asolof.

I too have seen those little hairs starting to bud Smile

:) :) :)

kikoman

Established Member
Reaction score
you can buy MSM at http://www.drugstore.com
Make sure its organic.... if it has Liguisil logo on the bottle regardless of brand means its organic
Its a supplement so look in your local pharmacy or any equivalent of GNC that you have there .

good luck