MrSomething's story

MrSomething

Reaction score
Hi there everybody! My name is MrSomething and I am a hairoholic.

I'm 32 years old.

At 22, my temples had receded. I freaked, thinking I might be bald by 30. I noticed (for the first time) that my hairline was high. I poked around and saw my mom's family all had high hairlines and old pictures of me did as well. The good news was her brothers and dad still had their hair!

My hairline did not appear to recede over time. It appeared that I had been worrying about nothing.

So, ten years later, I'm single again and looking to hit on the hotties. I've been getting in shape, lost the glasses, and started caring for my skin. I also started being concerned about my hair again. I hadn't visibly receded or thinned, but guys really start thinning in their 30s (like dad).

I didn't want to take chances so started researching Rogaine and other things. Since Propecia fights the cause and not just the symptoms, and because it's a 1-a-day pill rather than a twice-a-day application, I decided to try it first.

Starting out, I was ~Norwood 2. The hair on the top of my head was not visably thin, though it probably had thinned over the years somewhat. My goal is to simply keep what I've got.

I'm currently ~90 days into treatment. I haven't gone through a *heavy* shedding phase - I did notice that I was losing 20-30 hairs per day in the morning, and by 60 days in I had visably thinned on top, though I appear to be the only person that noticed.

Freaking out, I started running through every possible scenario in my mind:
1) My hair loss was real, inevitable and was finally catching up to me.
2) My hair loss was new and due to Propecia
3) My hair *had* already thinned, but not visibly so, and now a shed phase had made it visible, and I've started Propecia just in the nick of time. (fingers crossed that this is it)

I've learned how much my hair means to my self-esteem. I panicked and... logged onto these sites to read everything about shedding on treatment. It sounds like this is NOT unusual for weeks 7-10 of treatment and it should come back in a few months. Still, there are enough "Aaaaah 10 months in and the shedding never stops!" posts to worry me.

Less hair is coming out each morning now - between 5-10, like it used to be - and my hair has (I think) stabalized. I'm taking monthly tracking pictures.

I hope that in 3 months I have at least as much hair as I had when I started the treatment. I didn't have visably thin hair then, and I do now, and it sucks. It's not *that* bad, but I still say GRRR.

If the hair comes back over the next 3 months, I'll be jumping for joy and saying this stuff works. If not, I'll give it more time. 9 months in, if I'm where I'm at or worse, I'll probably add Rogaine to the mix.

Here's my regimen:
Propecia, 1 mg, once per day in the morning.

If that works for me, I don't plan on adding anything to it

Wish me luck!