Mixed Results with Proscar- hair back, penis slack?

PCM

Reaction score
Hello all,

After 3 months, proscar has really started to thicken my diffuse thinning that was coming quite rapidly I might add. I'm amazed at how well it's working for me.

However, I have less "feeling" in my penis than usual, and it's smaller than usual and not as hard. Now here's the dilemma. I must admit I just came out of a emotionally draining relationship. The sex was great (and not affected) up until the end and even though I had been on proscar for 2 months when the relationship ended, the hair was just then starting to thicken out. It was a fairly abusive relationship by the end and it affected my confidence and emotions. I'm worried that I may be unfairly placing blame on proscar for a result of depression or post-breakup performance anxiety, but regardless I'm worried about my package. I am usually rock hard... now I can get only rock hard and fully extended occasionally and on average I'm a bit smaller than usual these days and not as hard. Also, my penis has less feeling- almost like it's spongy and slightly desensitized.

My thoughts are that this is emotional. But since this drug is new to my life - and new at a bad time I might add...is there any scientific way to determine whether or not this is the proscar? Or is it all in my head? Any supplements / vitamins I can use to enhance my erections? Seriously this sucks. The two things I care about maintaining most in life apparently cannot co-exist. I'm praying this is mental and it will fade the more I build up my confidence and get further away from my abusive relationship.

Thanks in advance

A

Administrator

First off, this belongs in the Side Effects forum. Mods please move it there and notify PCM.

Secondly, don't ignore your body. If you are experiencing decreased sensitivity, then you are probably not imagining it. DHT is depleted from tissues throughout the body when you go on Finasteride. 99% of guys have no problem with this and don't notice a thing. Others do.

The size difference isn't because your penis has shrunk. If anything your libido has taken a bit of a dive and the lack of sensitivity is probably making you less enthusiastic. You're probably just experiencing some sexual side effects.

You have two options at this point:

1) You can choose to continue with Finasteride and see if your libido returns full force. It tends to go up and down until your body has adjusted completely, and this can take time.

2) You can choose to discontinue treatment and try alternatives.

The good news is that I discontinued due to the same effects you are experiencing. It has been another 4 yrs since, and I've kept everything, using Topical spironolactone Lotion 5% and Revivogen and Nizoral.

So don't assume if you drop Propecia you're toast.

Admin

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
I've had this problem although I was too embarresed to admit it incase I came across as bit of a pussy who just imagines sides all the time, but if your experiancing it as well then I guess it must be true.

I can get erections but my penis is smaller, both in it's flaccid and erect state, been like ever since the first week of using Propecia and hasn't gone back to normal since.

A

Administrator

Propecia does not shrink penises. You're just dealing with decreased libido which causes decreased bloodflow and virility overall. This can decrease the perceived size.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
just buy some penis pills. if you wanna risk that yohambe bark stuff its supposed to be great for the libido.