Mixed Feelings about starting Propecia

Mcurious

Reaction score
I'm 19 years old, I have slight recession at the temples and that's about it. I'm really skeptical about starting propecia after reading the things on this site, growth stunt (I've grown half an inch since May so i'm not done yet), brain fog (In school right now, can't afford to lose concentration), and other side effects that just don't make it seem worthwhile.

I also don't want to have to pay $60 a month and can't afford it being in school. Is there insurance that covers this? Also, is it safe to cut proscar into fifths and still get exactly the same results as propecia?

I don't know what to do.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Slight recession at the temples - you might want to hold off. I've not tried it yet, but I am eighteen and have experienced a little more loss than you have. But I've also got a full beard and what I'm pretty damned sure is all my growth. I've seen it written here that DHT and free testosterone levels generally elevate once HGH has become limited. I'd probably wait and make certain that it isn't simple maturation of the hairline. However, if you're thinning before full maturation there's a good chance that your hair loss will turn out to be fairly aggressive (yes yes, like mine). In that case, it might not be such a bad idea to begin finasteride. In short, see a dermatologist who knows their sh*t about hair (a lot don't).

As to the brain fog - I think that's overplayed. You see the people with the worst sides screaming online, and i supsect quite a few with good results stay away from here (too many sad memories). Brain fog is one of those side effects that can easily be perceived or personally exaggerated. Not exactly quantifiable.

If a derm does think your loss merits a finasteride prescription, it would be pretty easy to figure out whether or not you'd have sides by just trying the damned thing. It's widely agreed that in 90% of the 3% (maximum) who experience sides, the side effects dissipate shortly afte discontinuation of the drug.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, most drug companies don't support finasteride prescriptions (proscar or propecia or generic versions of either) for cosmetic purposes. But I'd just call and ask.

And yes, it's the same drug. Though if you think about cutting a pill it'd be a hell of a lot easier to cut it into four pieces. 1.25 milligrams is a pretty negligible rise in dosage. It's a lot cheaper.

Mcurious

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for all the info. I went to a general doctor today. I know for a fact that I will lose my hair because both my brothers who are 28 and 31 have lost a good amount of their hair. I got the prescription for propecia 1mg. My receding temples really isnt noticable if I grow my hair to be about 2 inches and just keep evening it out in the front since the middle grows faster and thicker. I really only noticed I was starting to recede when I got my hair cut down to about an inch. So maybe i'll hold off on the prescription of either propecia or proscar until summer or something. Thanks again.

Mcurious

Reaction score
Also, I am still growing. Currently i'm 5'10.5" and 140 lbs. I'm 19 and the way i'm built I could pass off as about 16-17. My shoulders still have a ways to develop. And you said that DHT and testosterone increase when HGH(don't know what that is) is limited? Isn't this a side effect for steroids too? Or am I thinking of something else?

SheddingVic

Reaction score
After my experience the past year, I wish I never went on propecia. I started off with 1mg, after 3 mo. experienced side effects. Went from an 8in. hard-on to being limp. Crazy! I got off it for a few months, everything went back to normal. Got back on, started with .25mg, and the sides came back, not as drastic, but they returned.

On the flip-side, the stuff did work, I regrew hair. BUT, at what cost would you want to regrow hair. What's the point of having hair and no hard-on? I've always naturally attracted hot, intelligent girls. My current girlfriend isn't attracted to me because of the hair on my head...

I wish you success if you do decide to take it.

I'm using nizoral 2% and generic minoxidil 5% once before bed.

Mcurious

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So what if I just did like .5mg every three days or something? And also, if I go on proscar (cut into .5 mg portions), and I do get some of these side effects, would it hurt anything if I quit within a month? Basically, would I just go back to the way I was before? And if proscar does cause me side effects like your talking about, are there any alternatives (avodart, dutesteride or whatever). I'm not going to go onto minoxodil because my hair still has good density and everything. I basically just want to maintain my hair.

SheddingVic

Reaction score
Mcurious said:
Thanks for the reply. So what if I just did like .5mg every three days or something? And also, if I go on proscar (cut into .5 mg portions), and I do get some of these side effects, would it hurt anything if I quit within a month? Basically, would I just go back to the way I was before? And if proscar does cause me side effects like your talking about, are there any alternatives (avodart, dutesteride or whatever). I'm not going to go onto minoxodil because my hair still has good density and everything. I basically just want to maintain my hair.

Im in the same situation. I have a full head of hair, just not as dense as it was when I was 19. I'm a diffuse thinner, but its well hidden with my current hairstyle. :)

The minoxidil has been working, one application each night isn't much of an inconvenience for me anyways. And missing 1-2 nights a week isn't much of a concern for me either.

Far Too Young

Established Member
Reaction score
Shedding Vic, have you tried the foam yet? I find that it really does facilitate morning applications and allows for heightened absorption on a damp scalp. If you let it dry for like 10 minutes and then brush your hair with a medium-toothed comb it's hard to tell you ever put it in. It even adds a little volume, unlike that damned propylene glycol that would mat your hair down. I've seen a little more peeling of the scalp since I've tried it and figured it's just the result of a little higher absorption. Anyways, maybe you should give it a try. I had some nasty folliculitis while on the solution, and I don't think it could have helped at all with the inflammation element of hairloss.

desperateDavid

Reaction score
Mcurious said:

ok mate, you sound like your on the same path as me (i'm 29 and have recession at the temples but i can still cover it well). I only found out about Avodart and finasteride a year ago. I started to take finasteride 1.25/day in August this year and it seems to have made my hair thicker at the temples and possibly even stopped the receding (thank f*** if that is true).
It should maintain the hair you have. i noticed results after 2-3 months. If I new about this a few years ago i would definately take it, plus u wont have problems with your prostate in later life.which can only be a bonus.

take my advice. start 1-1.25 finasteride/day

i'm gonna start taking Dutas soon and expect to be able to get a buzz cut next year without the f*****g receeding(f*****g hope so. u can only hope)

haunted-ballroom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Far Too Young said:
Also, most drug companies don't support finasteride prescriptions (proscar or propecia or generic versions of either) for cosmetic purposes. But I'd just call and ask.

And yes, it's the same drug. Though if you think about cutting a pill it'd be a hell of a lot easier to cut it into four pieces. 1.25 milligrams is a pretty negligible rise in dosage. It's a lot cheaper.

Do you need a prescription to buy propecia?? There is a link on this site to buy it? im very confused about all this, i want to start treatment asap

edit, nevermind, i just figured it out lol

Mcurious

Reaction score
ok mate, you sound like your on the same path as me (i'm 29 and have recession at the temples but i can still cover it well). I only found out about Avodart and finasteride a year ago. I started to take finasteride 1.25/day in August this year and it seems to have made my hair thicker at the temples and possibly even stopped the receding (thank f*** if that is true).
It should maintain the hair you have. i noticed results after 2-3 months. If I new about this a few years ago i would definately take it, plus u wont have problems with your prostate in later life.which can only be a bonus.

take my advice. start 1-1.25 finasteride/day

i'm gonna start taking Dutas soon and expect to be able to get a buzz cut next year without the f****ing receeding(f****ing hope so. u can only hope)

Awesome man. I'm gonna wait till the beginning of summer to start proscar and i'll try about .5-1mg per day. Right now i'm going to pick up some Biotin supplements because i've read they help hair and skin and I'm doing nizoral 1% every 3 days. The shed is really the only thing that worries me, but If i have my hair long enough, it really won't be noticable. And I've read that some people barely shed much at all. We'll see. Thanks for the help.

Mcurious

Reaction score
One more question, if I I do like .25 or .5 mg every day, would this affect my growth and bone structure since I'm not fully developed?