minoxidil

ibowhuntbambi

Reaction score
hello everyone im new to this forum and need a little help.
i have been thinning since the age 22. im now 29 and have been wearing a hair piece for the last 5 years.
i just decided to shave it down and start hair regrowth treatments. my current regimine is proscar quartered, 2% minoxidil, nizoral and nu-hair herbal supplements.
yesterday i decided to try 5% minoxidil. after the second application i started to get rashes up and down my legs and arms. this didnt happen with the 2% solution. now im kinda worried because i heard that 5% does a much better job than 2%. my current hair situation is thin in the middle with thicker around the sides.
whats my next step? stay with the 2% or is there something i can take with the 5% to counter the effects?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hmm. First I'd advise dropping the herbal supplements as they will not do anything to stop your hair loss, and who knows what is in there that you may be having an allergic reaction to. I realize its most likely the minoxidil but honestly, no herbal pill will ever do a thing for hair loss, so there's no point in putting more chemicals into your body like that.

Aside from this, you might try getting minoxidil with a slightly different concentration from Minoxidil.com. Dr. Lee's minoxidil's are slightly different than the brand name rogaine and you may fare better, although if its the minoxidil and not something else, im not sure this will help. If you determine that you just cannot use Minoxidil in 5% form I would get on Nizoral shampoo (you should use this anyways, irregardless) and give Tricomin Therapy Spray a try as a replacement growth stimulant. Nizoral has been shown to have similar growth stimulating properties as Rogaine 2% and the Tricomin at least has some clinical backing to it.

Its about growth stimulants at that point. You may even just stick with the 2% Rogaine and add Tricomin. That might be the way to go. They both stimulate growth in different ways, which are complementary.

I would look into this Rogaine effect first however. Make sure its the rogaine causing it, and save your money and your liver on the herbal stuff.

HairLossTalk.com

ibowhuntbambi

Reaction score
im gonna go back on the 2% for a while and see what happens.
is there a big difference between 2% and 5% ?

Reaction score
I live overseas and there was a point where I was out of the 5%. I used 2% for a while and things went downhill so I'm quite sure the 5% is better. There is also clinical data backing it.

Gosh I also got rashes after using the 5%! I get it under my armpits. That did not stop me. I got a cream called Betnovate and that really helps.

bombscience

Reaction score
How bald would you say you are? If you are real thin, and you're shaving it down there are some GREAT topical options for you.

Of course the proven treatments you will want to stay on are Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil 5% (Rogaine). You may be having a reaction to the PPG in regular forumlated minoxidil. Dr. Lee (http://www.minoxidil.com) offers a PPG free minoxidil solution that is less harsh on the scalp. It would be good to see how that works for you for the first 6 months. If you are not happy with your results and are still shaving your head dr. lee also offers 12.5% and 15% minoxidil solutions you can try. Also 5% topical anti-dht cremes (spironolactone).

Finally to relieve scalp irritation Folligen and Tricomin have great reviews, but I can only vouch for Folligen which was great at helping me get my scalp healthy when i had a reaction such as yours.

Oh yeah the easiest thing to help is Nizoral.

ibowhuntbambi

Reaction score
i dont think its the ppg in the monixidil thats giving me the rashes on my body. i think its the 5% minoxidil itself. because i can take the 2% with no problems, that has ppg in it too. i really need the extra strength to help my hair thicken in but cant take the irritation caused by it. i was hoping that some other item could help control the body rash i get from the extra strength.

Cassin

Reaction score
ibowhuntbambi said:
i dont think its the ppg in the monixidil thats giving me the rashes on my body. i think its the 5% minoxidil itself. because i can take the 2% with no problems, that has ppg in it too.....

I agree with this 100%. I was on 2% ffor about 6 weeks with no problems at all. About 3 days after starting 5% is when all of my irritation problems started. Plus the 2% (that I used) had 10% more PPG in it than the 5%. Were it not for Folligen, there is no way I could handle 5%. That stuff works wonders.

EDIT: I didn't have rashes by the way, just severe irritation.

ibowhuntbambi

Reaction score
how does the folligen prevent rashes from occurring on other parts of your body?
also which one do u use? THE SPRAY, CREAM OR LOTION?

ibowhuntbambi

Reaction score
MONOXIDIL

I HAVE AN IDEA. WHAT IF I WAS TO USE THE 5% AT NIGHT AND THE 2% IN THE MORNING. WOULD THAT DEFEAT THE PURPOSE? I REALLY WANT TO USE 5% BUT MAYBE LIMITED QUANTITIES MIGHT HELP FOR THE IRRITATION.

rill

Established Member
Reaction score
I got when I was using minoxidil, bad rashes on my throat.
Have you gotten any extra bodyhair, feeling tired lately, or something else thats not "normal".
Pesonally I think that its the alcohol thats being absorbed wery well in your skin.
I got rashes from folligen too but none from tricomin wich as far as I know dont contain any PG (folligen does).
Hope i didnt scare you, you are propably getting rashes from somethng else, maybe something in your food.

Good Luck