Minoxidil with petroleum jelly???

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
come to think about it, i doubt i will want to try it even if it true. petroleum jelly is simply too oily and hard to wash off.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've already experienced slight chest tightness, and an elevated heartrate by applying minoxidil on a wet head... after never having experienced either of those things before. Therefore, I should be able to determine whether petroleum jelly really does increase absorption.

Consider me a guinea pig. :) I'll give it a shot and report back in a few days.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
hi joseph. if minoxidil does give you such side effect, better don't take the risk. don't wish you come to any harm.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Private Ryan said:
hi joseph. if minoxidil does give you such side effect, better don't take the risk. don't wish you come to any harm.

Thanks for the concern. :) So far, day 1, and it's inconclusive. I placed a small dab on my scalp, probably around 5mg. I experienced a slight elevation in heartrate, but (so far) nothing like when having my head completely wetted. So while it doesn't impair absorption, I'm not so sure if it improves it either. I'm going to try for a few more days, and keep track of the results.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just a little update, since it's been almost a month since my last post. The Christmas vacation gave me a good two-week opportunity to try petroleum jelly with minoxidil; being I'm usually unable to wear a baseball cap at either work and school. In other words, the bad news: petroleum jelly in your hair make you look slightly foolish. :lol:

Additionaly, I'm still not completely sure if petroleum jelly increased absorption, over plain water. Or at least, I wasn't able to test it in a very scientific manner. It certainly didn't do any harm, because my hair is growing just as well... if not better. Overall, I'd say it only elevated my heartrate slightly above normal.

But here's the most amazing observation after my two weeks of applying both minoxidil and a small dab of petroleum jelly. *After six months on minoxidil, trying every solution imaginable, I still itched like a crazy, every day.* But suddenly, using Vaseline, the overall itching and irritation has completely vanished, overnight.

And here's the strangest part: this whole week, I was able to wash my head completely dry of any oils, without using any Vaseline, or conditioner of any kind, and still not experience any itching or irritation using minoxidil. Maybe petroleum jelly has enabled my scalp to more quickly adapt to minoxidil? Anyway, to be continued....

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bump.

I also saw this entry @ Wikipedia and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience of using minoxidil in conjunction with Petroleum jelly.

At the very least it may help those with scalp sides.