Minoxidil when stored at extreme temperatures?

meta-monster

Reaction score
Does anyone have any clues regarding how much less effective minoxidil is/becomes when stored at temperatures outside of the recommended 68-77 degree range?

I'm currently living in a place with no heating and it's a bit below 32 degrees at all times (I can see my breath). So, I'm wondering if my minoxidil has been compromised.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any advice anyone has to give. Thanks!

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
meta-monster said:
Does anyone have any clues regarding how much less effective minoxidil is/becomes when stored at temperatures outside of the recommended 68-77 degree range?

I'm currently living in a place with no heating and it's a bit below 32 degrees at all times (I can see my breath). So, I'm wondering if my minoxidil has been compromised.

Anyway, I'd love to hear any advice anyone has to give. Thanks!

I have also worried about this, so hopefully someone can give us input

hair_today

Reaction score
I had a similar situation with propecia being left without air conditioning in the summer. I asked a dozen pharmacists and called the company that produces it several times and all anyone did was parrot the package recommendations back to me- "store at room temperature" or the medication "may" be compromised.

Finally I found an abstract on PubMed of a study that did temperature stability tests on propecia. The results were not in the abstract - I had to order the full-text through the public library to avoid paying. The answer? Tests showed less than 1.4% degradation after being stored at 120 degree for 6 months!

So go ahead and search for stability studies and see if you can find some real information like I did. The recommendation on the package is worthless.

meta-monster

Reaction score
hair_today said:
I had a similar situation with propecia being left without air conditioning in the summer. I asked a dozen pharmacists and called the company that produces it several times and all anyone did was parrot the package recommendations back to me- "store at room temperature" or the medication "may" be compromised.

Finally I found an abstract on PubMed of a study that did temperature stability tests on propecia. The results were not in the abstract - I had to order the full-text through the public library to avoid paying. The answer? Tests showed less than 1.4% degradation after being stored at 120 degree for 6 months!

So go ahead and search for stability studies and see if you can find some real information like I did. The recommendation on the package is worthless.

Wow, thanks for the lead. That amount of degradation really is rather insignificant (especially taking the extreme conditions in consideration).

I sent the makers of Rogaine an email asking the very question I posted above (on the same day as the original post nonetheless) and I finally heard back from them today. However, their very uninformative email just told me to call their info line and speak with a representative (who'll most likely be a parrot). I'll give them a ring sometime soon and post the result if it's worth mentioning.

In the meantime, I'm going to use Google Scholar and see if I can dig up some minoxidil temperature stability test results.
Again, I'll post if I find anything useful.

meta-monster

Reaction score
Well, here's what I've dug up so far. Below is a link to a research article and a few of its important passages:

http://www.ijpsonline.com/article.asp?i ... last=Reddy

Stability studies:

The stability studies were carried out for all the gel formulations at different temperature conditions (4°, 25° and 37°) for 3 months. Known amounts of gels were taken out at different time intervals like 0.5, 1, 2 and 3 months and analysed for drug content, physical appearance and viscosity.

The results of stability studies are shown in [Table - 4]. There were no significant changes in the viscosity, drug content and physical appearance of the gels after storing at different temperature conditions for 3 months. However further stability studies have to be carried out for extended period of time by considering relative humidity.

Note: The solution tested in the study above was in GEL FORM and not a FOAM!