minoxidil twice a day to once a day?

zroca

Reaction score
Lets say you used minoxidil twice a day for 8-12 months and you seen great results from it, than you decide to only use it once a day at night. Would that once a night application help to maintain what you've grown over the past 8-12 months?
Thanks
Zroca

Cassin

Reaction score
zroca said:
Lets say you used minoxidil twice a day for 8-12 months and you seen great results from it, than you decide to only use it once a day at night. Would that once a night application help to maintain what you've grown over the past 8-12 months?
Thanks
Zroca

Honestly man, it's a gamble. No one can say yes or no for sure. It will react differently for everyone. Personaly I wouldn't mess with success at all. But down the road and I come to the point where I am just maintaining and regrowth has stopped, I will probably go to Xandrox 15% once a day.

hopewas

Reaction score
after a year and a half i added proscar and only applied minoxidil once 5 out of 7 days

zroca

Reaction score
hopewas said:
after a year and a half i added proscar and only applied minoxidil once 5 out of 7 days
So were you using minoxidil twice a day everyday for a year and a half? How long have you been using minoxidil once, 5 out of 7 days? Have see any change at all from making this switch?
Thanks
Zroca

hopewas

Reaction score
i applied it twice a day for the year and a half. since applying it once a day, there's been no difference. i don't reccomend applying it once a day until after a year though

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard that 1ml/day will work for maintenence too. I'm now at 13 months with good results. Figure I'll drop to 1 dose/day after 18 months or so. Then again, Lee's minoxidil is so trouble free, I may go with 10-12 applications a week and just skip doses when they're inconvenient.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yes, but isnt it true that once you are on minoxidil for a prolonged period of time your body starts to need more minoxidil not less because of it not workin as effective as once was?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a medical journal i came across that put foreward the possibility that prolonged minoxidil could sensitise cells to require minoxidil to grow. So when the minoxidil is removed, the required stimulation is also removed, and hair growth slows dramatically.

It was only a tentative association found in the data... I'm trying to find the article now. It was an old one... barely a paragraph on this topic.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair loss with minoxidil withdrawal said:
Our observation suggests a direct effect of minoxidil on the hair follicle, perhaps in some way sensitising it and making it dependent on the drug for future growth

And I'll paraphrase the rest, because i don't want to be sued.

A woman had been using minoxidil for nearly 10 years, taking 5mg of min daily. She experienced excessive hair growth during this period. When the min ceased to be administered, she experiened hair loss from all of her body, even from her eyebrows. After reintroduction of min, the body hair regrew.

HOWEVER, you must put this in our perspective - this was a woman who was taking min in a table form for hypertension. We, however, are just applying it topically at a much lower dosage too. So no proclaiming "Jikx said my eye brows are going to fall out!!" :p