Minoxidil to be applied to washed hair only? Share your experience.

Pianist

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. Are we supposed to apply Minoxidil (Rogaine) to washed hair only? If it's to be applied twice per day, isn't such frequent washing linked to increased sebum production which in turn can cause hair loss?

Even if it's applied once per day as some recommend, isn't that still too frequent in terms of washing?

If the answer is "yes" to washing before each application, is it Ok to wash without shampoo?

I've tried Rogaine for about 6 months twice daily in the beginning, then switched to once daily with 2 washing per week (my usual life-long washing frequency) and haven't seen any results. Also, from practical point of view I don't have time to wash and dry my hair every day...

Please share your experiences with regards to necessity for washing before each application.

Thanks!

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. Are we supposed to apply Minoxidil (Rogaine) to washed hair only? If it's to be applied twice per day, isn't such frequent washing linked to increased sebum production which in turn can cause hair loss?

Even if it's applied once per day as some recommend, isn't that still too frequent in terms of washing?

If the answer is "yes" to washing before each application, is it Ok to wash without shampoo?

I've tried Rogaine for about 6 months twice daily in the beginning, then switched to once daily with 2 washing per week (my usual life-long washing frequency) and haven't seen any results. Also, from practical point of view I don't have time to wash and dry my hair every day...

Please share your experiences with regards to necessity for washing before each application.

Thanks!
You're not supposed to wash your hair after using minoxidil. It should rest in your head 4 hours minimum, and 6 to 8 hours would be best.

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all. Are we supposed to apply Minoxidil (Rogaine) to washed hair only?
Yes
If it's to be applied twice per day, isn't such frequent washing linked to increased sebum production which in turn can cause hair loss?
No
No
Depends. If you are using PG it is better to wash it with shampoo because PG tends to build up. If you have the foam, or a non-PG version, then you can wash it without shampoo and just thoroughly rinse with water.

Pianist

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. What is PG? I've been mostly using Rogaine foam, but also have Kirkland Minoxidil with dropper.

The problem is that I absolutely have no time to wash and dry in the morning. Is it ok to wash, dry, and apply Rogaine before bed? I'm home only for 1 hour during the day before I have to go to bed.... Has anyone had success applying Rogaine before bed?

Mr. Slap Head

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. What is PG? I've been mostly using Rogaine foam, but also have Kirkland Minoxidil with dropper.

The problem is that I absolutely have no time to wash and dry in the morning. Is it ok to wash, dry, and apply Rogaine before bed? I'm home only for 1 hour during the day before I have to go to bed.... Has anyone had success applying Rogaine before bed?
propylene glycol.

yes, wash dry and apply rogaine before bed. I apply my topicals right before bed. I use oral minoxidil now but I used to apply foam minoxidil every morning and every night.

Pianist

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks.
Do you guys belive that it's critical to apply Minoxidil to recently washed hair? Has anyone had success without washing prior to each application?

NW9000

Established Member
Reaction score
topical minoxidil's effects are so subtle that no one knows the answer to your question

just put it on your head, the end