Minoxidil side effect on libido & erection

Black Mamba

Reaction score
I've been using topical Minoxidil lotion 5% for 5 years. From my experience it decreased my libido & caused erection problem.

I've done some repetitive experiment about its side effect. and I found out that if I stop using Minoxidil, in 3 months, my libido & erection back to normal. But when I start to use minoxidil again, in just 1 month the libido & erection problem arise again.

To make sure that minoxidil treatment is the culprit, i repeat the experiment cycle several times during my 5 years of usage. And the result is always the same.

I have question: how technically minoxidil cause such problem (lowering libido & erection problem) ?

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
Minoxidil has not been shown to cause sexual problems, it's the other hair loss treatment, finasteride that has a small risk of sexual problems.

Most likely you're overthinking it.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
Minoxidil has not been shown to cause sexual problems, it's the other hair loss treatment, finasteride that has a small risk of sexual problems.

Most likely you're overthinking it.

i'm not overthinking it.

At first i didn't even knew that minoxidil was the culprit of my ED.
Not until i search on the internet about the problem, and found out that a lot of people have the exactly same problem with me.

If you google on the internet with keyword "minoxidil cause ED" you will find out that the minoxidil ED side effect is all over the internet & forums.
Here i give you some links of user review and forums that talk about minoxidil side effect on libido & ED:

www.askapatient.com/mobile/viewrating.asp?drug=20834&name=ROGAINE+EXTRA+STRENGTH+(FOR+MEN)

www.selfgrowth.com/articles/minoxidil-review-benefits-and-side-effects-for-men

www.hair restorationnetwork.com/eve/170507-sexual-side-effect-using-minoxidil-5%.html

www.bald truthtalk.com/threads/18494-Minoxidil-causes-Erectile-Dysfunction/page2

Based on these informations, there are 2 possible systemic reasons that points out Minoxidil as the culprit of ED problem:
1. Minoxidil is lowering blood pressure (as you said)
2. Minoxidil dilates the veins: all of them, and not the ones you necessarily want dilated (in penis area).
Cardiologists have stated - as have Doctors, that there's enough statistical data to prove in can adversely impact erections.
Since Minoxidil is a vasodilator, it also opens up blood vessles in the penis, causing blood to not stay there for long, or at least for as long as a normal erection is supposed to last.

I'm going to conduct experiment further by taking Hipotension drugs like Fludrocortisone (Florinef) to increase my blood pressure, and see if there's improvement on Erection & Libido.
If it does, then i can make sure that the logical answer of the ED is due to low blood pressure as a side effect of Minoxidil.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I highly doubt topical minoxidil would cause ED. You are most likely just worrying too much, or possibly are just getting older. I convinced myself I had ED, when it was really just performance anxiety when sleeping with a new girl. It phucked with my head for a while, but after not thinking about it for a couple weeks things went back to normal. I would just relax and not worry about it for a while.

casparrro

Reaction score
It amazes me how people blame propecia and minoxidil (!) for everything. Hombre, you are 5 years older and ED may sometimes happen - not only to guys treating male pattern baldness. There is absolutely no scientifical evidence for minoxidil causing erection problems. If you are worried, go to doctor.
Take care and good luck
(How old are you now?)

Yoshi3Mario

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you've been reading too many posts from nw1s coming online to convince people not to use hair loss products

PotatoHairLoss

Reaction score
Hopefully it doesn't

I'm 23 been using Minoxidil, minoxidil 5 Trima for 4 years now haven't gotten any side effects. Hopefully there isn't !! :(

Scrappy

Reaction score
I got sexual side effects from Minoxidil, though its not crippling. and I'm still on it. But my erections haven't been as good as before since I started minoxidil.