minoxidil residue, dandruff and stuff

G

Ever since joining this site I have read many posts from a variety of both newbies and experienced posters talking about white residue, dandruff, scalp irritation, yellow flakes, white flakes and other things all associated with minoxidil.

I have to say that in the 6-7 months I have been blasting my hairline and with minoxidil I have never once had any signs of any of these things.

I use Dr Lee's standard 5% minoxidil but it always dries quickly and invisibly.

alkthough I am lucky I guess, I'm almost a little concerned as most people report this and I have never seen any of this on my head, yet it doesn't seem to be working as my hair get thinner.

Any thoughts?

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Neil, am I mistaken or do you include the LC in your regimen? I no longer have problems with dandruff since using it. I'm certain that the scalp condition has been normalized by it's use. Maybe that's why you're not getting the dry scalp associated with the topical treatment?

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Regular minoxidil eats the sh*t out of my scalp and makes corn flake size skin flakes so I'll be making my own similar to DR. Lee's but with additional products added. Minoxidil by itself is a waste of time on the front hairline but used with a regimen can do some good.

G

Greg,

I have been using the LC but only for the last 3 months whereas I have been using minoxidil since November 2004. i have never had a dandruff problem.

Thin,

My regimen is:

1/4 Proscar daily - Since August 2004
Dr Lee's minoxidil x2 Daily - on the hairline temples and crown - since Nov 2004.
Am Crew Copper Peptide Spray - since April 2005
MSM - 3000mg daily
Occasional zinc sulphate tablet
Mulit-Vit
Laser comb every 3rd day

What do you think?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Yo Neil,

As for the minoxidil dust residue, do you have a lighter shade of hair? I have dark hair, and if I screw up my am minoxidil application and get it in my hair, there is always a white residue left behind. Perhaps you are more deliberate and careful when you apply it, but for me, if the sh*t touches hair, the hair will inevitably have dust on it.

No problems with dandruff or irritation here either. Got some serious dandruff at about the week 2-4 period, but nothing since at all.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I believe that some people are allergic to ppg. I wouldn't have stopped using rogaine/minoxidil but for it. Stopped for 13 months. lost everything.
dr. lee's minoxidil/xandrox has lesser ppg and doesn't irritate my scalp.
when i was using his pg free glycerine xandrox i didn't have any irritation. now i have some irritation/dandruff with his regular xandrox. (could be because i added retin-A for twice a week).
I believe that irritation/dandruff is not necessary for you to be a good/bad responder for minoxidil. if you haven't added finasteride, consider adding it. or else add topical dht inhibitors.

G

The Gardener said:
Yo Neil,

As for the minoxidil dust residue, do you have a lighter shade of hair? I have dark hair, and if I screw up my am minoxidil application and get it in my hair, there is always a white residue left behind. Perhaps you are more deliberate and careful when you apply it, but for me, if the sh*t touches hair, the hair will inevitably have dust on it.

No problems with dandruff or irritation here either. Got some serious dandruff at about the week 2-4 period, but nothing since at all.

Actually my hair is very dark brown in colour - I get asked if I am Mediterrenean quite a lot, but I am not, as far as I know.

never, ever any residue.......