minoxidil question

hurricom

Reaction score
Quick question. I started Rogaine two weeks ago and my hair has gotten significantly thinner in the places I applied it. My question is this: if I stop the rogaine, will my hair return to the way it was 14 days ago? That is, will the shedded hair return after I've stopped minoxidil?

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
what a cracking question.

i reckon the same thing happened to me about a year ago. i thought i might be thinning, so i applied a bit of minoxidil to the crown and hey presto...it got even thinner!

i didn't give it enough time, i realise that now and apparently once applied to the hair that area is always slightly dependent on the stuff. i'm probably wrong (i usually am) but none of the men in my family ever started to thin that much at 25.

on propecia now to try and reverse it....fingers crossed.

hurricom

Reaction score
Did the are that got thinner as a result of the rogaine go back to the way it was before the rogaine?

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
nope, not yet...i think the only way it would have thickened up would have been if i had continued to use it. my fault entirely but a bit of a b**ch. i reckon that if i hadn't of applied it in the first place then i wouldn't be where i am now.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Yah, i been using minoxidil for 4 weeks on my temples and I feel that its actualy killing it.

Like you I dont know it was going to happen anyway and the minoxidil has not started working yet.

Perhaps its getting rid of the "bad" hairs to replace them with good ones? I have a bit of shedding, but nothing I consider alarming.

Anyway Im gonna stick to using it and post some results once I get some positive hair progress.

lain

Established Member
Reaction score
Im also of the opinion that the alcohol in minoxidil products has a thinning effect on hairs already on the head as I noticed that the minoxidil solution covers most of the hairs in the area I apply it to, those hairs seem to have gotten lighter in colour and thinner.

Artista

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil/Rogaine is supposed to cause an increase in shed as it's kick starting the follicles into the growth cycle. I'd ride it out. They say it takes at least 4 months before you notice anything.

ohdearno

Reaction score
Hmm, sure my hair has gotten thinner after I started minoxidil (2 months in), but when I got minoxidil the hair it actually looks thicker then when I started.

kaner529

Reaction score
My experience with rogaine is quite similar to everyone elses. I started using it in addition to propecia at the beginning of september and by the beginning of novemeber I noticed my shedding nearly stopped. When I shampoo my hair I used to notice 5-10 hairs on my hands, some hairs looking thicker than others. Now when I shampoo I am hard pressed to find any. If I do see some they are usually very fine and thin small hairs, which would be consistent with the normal shedding cycle. I did however start applying rogaiane foam to the temples in addition to the crown at the beginning of nov. I noticed a slight recession in the hairline but because I dealt with the same problem when I started using it in sept I am not worried, and in the next 1-3 months I am expecting to see a large increase in the thickness as well as my hairline returning to what it was about a year and a half ago...maybe returning 5 mm or so to my hairline

bilbobaggins

Established Member
Reaction score
sweetpipe!

do you think that propecia will thicken up my crown once minoxidil even though minoxidil was applied before?...

its not bald just thinner than the top and the thinning has only really been in the last year, although the minoxidil seemed to kick it off.

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
i think what most of us newbies are curious/worried about....

are we making things at all worse in any way by potentially creating minoxidil-dependent hairs? in other words, are we inadvertently bumping our "starting points" back a notch.

i started using minoxodil because i was getting worried and thought it would be a good starting point. the idea was that i might eventually switch over to finasteride. now i'm getting slightly nervous that i may have screwed myself and committed myself to a minoxidil routine. i'm at a point where i'm not really shedding from it, but my hair looks a lot worse. i'm just curious as to what a good way of going about the switch would be.. an overlap? cold turkey? should i continue minoxidil until i get back to a comfortable spot and then switch over to finasteride?

the most discouraging thing is that you go into this thinking "the sooner the better." i'm supposedly trying to buy time, but i almost wonder if i jumped into it too quickly because i was fairly comfortable before. i'm 24 now, and my biggest concern is keeping my hair at this very point in my life. i just hope i'm not sacrificing good hair in my 20's, just so that i can have decent hair in my 30's (which i would obviously still also like to do). but the idea is that the peach fuzz should just begin growing at the rate of the normal hairs they used to be before treatment, correct?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
justin said:
are we making things at all worse in any way by potentially creating minoxidil-dependent hairs? in other words, are we inadvertently bumping our "starting points" back a notch.

i started using minoxodil because i was getting worried and thought it would be a good starting point. the idea was that i might eventually switch over to finasteride. now i'm getting slightly nervous that i may have screwed myself and committed myself to a minoxidil routine.

There's no need to worry that you've "committed" yourself to minoxidil. It creates "minoxidil-dependent" hairs only in the sense that if you quit using it sometime in the future, you'll only lose any EXTRA growth that you got from it.

Take a careful look at the following graphs that were published in a fairly recent topical minoxidil study by Dr. Vera Price. They show that although you take a substantial and scary hit in haircounts and hairweights immediately after stopping minoxidil (and they actually drop BELOW baseline levels for a while), they eventually "rebound" back to where you would have been, anyway:

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/quitting-minoxidil.htm

justin said:
the most discouraging thing is that you go into this thinking "the sooner the better." i'm supposedly trying to buy time, but i almost wonder if i jumped into it too quickly because i was fairly comfortable before. i'm 24 now, and my biggest concern is keeping my hair at this very point in my life. i just hope i'm not sacrificing good hair in my 20's, just so that i can have decent hair in my 30's (which i would obviously still also like to do).

Trust me on this one: sooner IS better. The earlier you start taking finasteride, the more likely you are to have good results, both now and in the future.

Bryan