minoxidil once a day

DC

Reaction score
I know that this has been covered. However, I still have some questions. I will find it almost impossible to apply a morning application because of my sporatic schedule and job that I sweat constantly. I was wondering if it is a bad idea to start with once a night applications. Some of you seem to do 2x daily and reduce it to 1x after some time.. Is it a waste to only apply once a day from the get go? I expect that the results aren't as good, but is it better than not using it at all. I am looking to maintain and get some regrowth. Thanks

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
Using it once is better than not using it at all. Do you use 2% or 5%? Use 5% if you're only going to be using it once a day.

G

I have basically the same question. I have been using 5% for just 5 weeks now, 2x per day (for frontal). I am looking to reduce to 1x per day if it's ok.

The twist with my situation is that I just bought finasteride, so I'm planning to start taking finasteride, and reduce 5% to 1x per day - IF THIS IS OK. Is it?!? All advice is welcome! Thank you.

G

Forgot to mention, I would quit using the 5% altogether now that I have finasteride, but I am afriad of shedding that others have mentioned. I wish I never started it. Would it be ok to quit after 5 weeks, or would I probably shed even after 5 weeks?

Andrew

Established Member
Reaction score
quest2,

I stop when I when i finish my first bottle.

Very bad move.... Hair thin all around...

Alternatively, if you don't quit now and plan to quit later.... It would be even worse....

this is going to be the biggest decision of your life....

Either quit now and face the consequences or take it for the rest of your life.....

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I apply 1ml twice a day, but I spread the 1ml measururement from the crown to my temples and hairline, so in a way the twice daily dose is required. For maintenance, I will eventually do 1ml a day, splitting it during morning and night...

XL

Reaction score
I just started using minoxidil along with propecia. I use minoxidil only at night now, and only on the front of the hair line, as that seems to be the area in most need, but from what others have said, I will probably start using it all over to help keep the hair i have now?

Also, on the minoxidil, it says "may cause hair color change"? Anyone have experience with this? I have blondish/brownish hair...will it turn it black or something?

bombscience

Reaction score
How long do you wait to shower after you wake up in the morning? Even applying minoxidil for 1 hour and then showering is better than not applying at all.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Check out this site:

http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_conferences/american_academy_dermatology/1998/aad_1.cfm

It suggests that not only will using 5% once a day eventually match the results that you would see using it twice a day, but also using 5% eventually matches the results that you would see using 2%. But I heard elsewhere that 5% grows more than 2%. I heard that the higher the dosage, the more growth you will see. I tend to believe this over what this site says. Using 2% is an alternative to those who experience unbearable irritation with use of the 5%. But definitely using 5% once a day vs. twice a day is okay. I think it will just take a few more months to see the same results.

SO, to sum up, use 5% once a day if you can't use it twice, and if you experience irritation that you can't handle, use 2%.

As for dependence, my analogy is this: When you get your drivers license, do you tell yourself that you don't want to start driving a car, because once you start you will never want to go back to riding your bike? Same thing with minoxidil- it helps regrow and maintain hair for us experiencing male pattern baldness. As such, minoxidil is a convenience, like having a car. You COULD ride your bike to work, but why not drive? You COULD succumb to male pattern baldness, but why not battle it with minoxidil?

Sorry for the lame analogy, but seriously, I didn't want to be dependent on it either, but once you start, it is simply NO BIG DEAL.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Jimmy5000

Reaction score
I agree with the analogy. I was hesitant about using minoxidil at first for the same reason that I was committing to using it forever. However, I started thinking about it like I do about brushing my teeth. I brush my teeth twice a day too and if I stopped, my teeth would go to sh*t. So do I stress about the fact that I have to brush them all the time or else they won't stay white? Of course not.

G

elguapo said:
Check out this site:

http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_conferences/american_academy_dermatology/1998/aad_1.cfm

It suggests that not only will using 5% once a day eventually match the results that you would see using it twice a day, but also using 5% eventually matches the results that you would see using 2%. But I heard elsewhere that 5% grows more than 2%. I heard that the higher the dosage, the more growth you will see. I tend to believe this over what this site says. Using 2% is an alternative to those who experience unbearable irritation with use of the 5%. But definitely using 5% once a day vs. twice a day is okay. I think it will just take a few more months to see the same results.

SO, to sum up, use 5% once a day if you can't use it twice, and if you experience irritation that you can't handle, use 2%.

As for dependence, my analogy is this: When you get your drivers license, do you tell yourself that you don't want to start driving a car, because once you start you will never want to go back to riding your bike? Same thing with minoxidil- it helps regrow and maintain hair for us experiencing male pattern baldness. As such, minoxidil is a convenience, like having a car. You COULD ride your bike to work, but why not drive? You COULD succumb to male pattern baldness, but why not battle it with minoxidil?

Sorry for the lame analogy, but seriously, I didn't want to be dependent on it either, but once you start, it is simply NO BIG DEAL.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Thanks for the link and your opinions. I hope you are right, because I am going to switch from 2x per day to 1x per day. 5% is fine for me - no irritation.