Minoxidil on wet scalp

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
i bath every morning before going to work so is it ok to apply minoxidil 5% to the scalp while it is slightly wet?

i did some research and there seen to be mix review. some think it ok and applying minoxidil on wet scalp actually increase penetration by 2-5times. other review like on rogaine website say it might cause the solution to lose it potency.

any suggestion?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Private Ryan said:
i bath every morning before going to work so is it ok to apply minoxidil 5% to the scalp while it is slightly wet?

i did some research and there seen to be mix review. some think it ok and applying minoxidil on wet scalp actually increase penetration by 2-5times. other review like on rogaine website say it might cause the solution to lose it potency.

any suggestion?

I think your way is best (i.e., apply on a damp scalp) as long as you don't get the "racey" heart beat that some people get from too much absorption.

I also think your regimen, as posted in another thread, is very good.

I'm not a doctor and am only a layman. That's why I'm reluctant to tell anyone other things they can use. You seem to have a good handle on all the things you can use though.

Just use what you feel comfortable with (and don't be afraid to use your imagination IMHO). You, as I said, appear to have a good idea on how to treat male pattern baldness.

Good luck!!

gand

Established Member
Reaction score
Can my heart hurt me because of minoxidil???

I put minoxidil yesterday in evning and all night my heart was killing me.. But, I was on some birthday so we drinked a smokoed, I don't know if it is because of that or minoxidil????

I put small amount 0.5 ml

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :( :( :( :( :(

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy:
thanks for the advice and kind words pal. i have a resting heart rate of lower 40s range. so should be ok. :lol: i will go with your suggestion on applying on wet scalp.

gand:
your case sound bad. you might want to check with your doctor for some good advice. if the problem still there after a few days, stop using it and check with your doctor.

gand

Established Member
Reaction score
yes, but I don't know is it becaouse of minoxidil or not... I didn't put it too much, so i really don't know... :roll:

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
gand said:
yes, but I don't know is it becaouse of minoxidil or not... I didn't put it too much, so i really don't know... :roll:

That is one of the side effects of systemic absorption of minoxidil. If you consistently feel an effect in your heart when taking minoxidil then it is the minoxidil producing it, unless of course you have a heart condition to begin with. If it only happened when you were wasted then maybe it was all due to the drug induced paranoia.

gand

Established Member
Reaction score
so what, can I make 3 day pause, and then try again or stop using it now??

:roll:

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
gand said:
so what, can I make 3 day pause, and then try again or stop using it now??

:roll:
i will go with the suggestion of stopping for 3days and try again to see if minoxidil is really the cause..

gand

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll start again in one mounth....

8)

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Private Ryan said:

any suggestion?

Well I believe a wet head would create surface tension and inhibit the absorption slightly. Maybe the solution evaporates slightly before it has a chance to penetrate the skin. Excess water would also have a river effect, and cause the minoxidil to travel in places other than where it's applied. I usually blow dry my hair for a minute before any application.

BTW, minoxidil already has a certain percentage of distilled water contained in the solution, along with alcohol, and propylene glycol.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
normally i only apply after my hair is left to dry for awhile instead of right after towel dry. i will like to call it well-hydrated instead of the word wet. below are the quote i got from regrowth.com:

"Wet scalp skin increases the penetration of topical drugs by several times (2x-5x more powerful). Because Rogaine does have side effects, they must attempt to keep you from increasing its potency and thereby side effects. However, if you apply Rogaine and do not experience any side effects, you might try applying it to wet scalp if you want to make it more potent. Be sure you have someone around if you do this since there is a change that you may not experience side effects on dry scalp, but may with wet scalp. If you experience side effects when applying Rogaine to dry hair, DEFINITELY *NEVER* apply it to your hair wet and be sure to follow Upjohn's instructions about not letting your hair get wet for 4 hours.
From personal experiences, I have heard many people who have said that Minoxidil did not work well for them, but after they started applying it to a wet scalp, it started working much better."

from rogaine website, i remember they don't recommend blow drying your hair also.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Private Ryan said:
normally i only apply after my hair is left to dry for awhile instead of right after towel dry. i will like to call it well-hydrated instead of the word wet. below are the quote i got from regrowth.com:

"Wet scalp skin increases the penetration of topical drugs by several times (2x-5x more powerful). Because Rogaine does have side effects, they must attempt to keep you from increasing its potency and thereby side effects. However, if you apply Rogaine and do not experience any side effects, you might try applying it to wet scalp if you want to make it more potent. Be sure you have someone around if you do this since there is a change that you may not experience side effects on dry scalp, but may with wet scalp. If you experience side effects when applying Rogaine to dry hair, DEFINITELY *NEVER* apply it to your hair wet and be sure to follow Upjohn's instructions about not letting your hair get wet for 4 hours.
From personal experiences, I have heard many people who have said that Minoxidil did not work well for them, but after they started applying it to a wet scalp, it started working much better."

from rogaine website, i remember they don't recommend blow drying your hair also.

I guess the water actually helps draw more minoxidil into the scalp. I'll change my application, and blow-drying ways, ASAP. Thanks for the information.